Injury Report: Wideman shudown for the season

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Really too bad for him. Crap timing as he was just getting comfy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Too bad for him... being a UFA that is rough ..
I wonder if they consider re-signing him for a yr to give him an opportunity next yr to be moved at the deadline? That would give Ottawa an opportunity to get another pick for the 2019 draft & it would give Wideman a chance for another contract with a new team. Win/Win.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Sens have a lot of young D prospects but few are natural right D. I was really hoping Wideman would get a few games in. Let's hope its precautionary and he's all right. I still think it would be a low risk if Dorion offered him a 1 year $900k deal as long as he's medically cleared. If he only plays 1/2 the games it would be good insurance. Maybe I'm being a softie and I know he's a ufa but I hate to see a guy who went to war for you get dropped after an injury without getting a chance to showcase himself.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Since Karlsson will be gone at the draft, they need to re-sign him since the right side will look horrible.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Since Karlsson will be gone at the draft, they need to re-sign him since the right side will look horrible.

Pierre Dorion said "When we can offer Erik a contract on July 1st, we will do so." ..... the draft happens about a week before July 1st.

Karlsson will get contract offer from Senators on July 1: report

In any case, I feel they should offer Wideman a one year contract, for the same money he earned this season, for a number of reasons, some which have been mentioned in this thread.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Pierre Dorion said "When we can offer Erik a contract on July 1st, we will do so." ..... the draft happens about a week before July 1st.
If they trade Karlsson, it'll likely be at the draft. That's a common place for big names to get dealt and we'll likely want some draft capital in return.

Anyways, I hope we offer Wideman a 1 year deal soon worth 800k - 1M and give him a do over on his UFA year. He'd be valuable to the team and a good trade chip next year if we're selling again.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If they trade Karlsson, it'll likely be at the draft. That's a common place for big names to get dealt and we'll likely want some draft capital in return.

Anyways, I hope we offer Wideman a 1 year deal soon worth 800k - 1M and give him a do over on his UFA year. He'd be valuable to the team and a good trade chip next year if we're selling again.

I would argue that waiting until July 1st, IF a trade of EK65 is to happen, is the more logical choice of when to deal him.
At the Draft, a team that trades for EK65 has not idea if he wants to remain with them beyond next season, and will have hope they can convince him to sign, after they acquire him, and after July 1st.
This would drastically minimize the return the Senators would get for him.

IF a trade opf EK65 is to happen, Jult 1st and beyond is the time to do it, as the team that has interest in him would be able to gauge his interest in re-signing with them, like how the Turris trade unfolded with Nashville.

That would bring back a much greater return to Ottawa, if the team acquiring him got the assurance he'd sign an eight year extension with them.

Again, in any case, Wideman should be offered a one year contract, same money, asap.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He should definitively get re-signed for one year. People may disagree, but I do think he was missed on the bottom pairing this year.

I would be surprised if Ottawa would turn down a 1 year contract with Wideman.

I think it's the opposite. Wideman may not want to re-sign with Ottawa. He was never Boucher's favourite player deployment wise, in fact, he was being used as a winger at points prior to being shut down.

I assume Wideman would want to take a 1 or 2 year deal on a team where he'll have a chance to be the top PP quarterback and audition for a big pay day. Maybe if we end up replacing Boucher and trading Karlsson, Ottawa then becomes a good place for Wideman to sign a 1 year extension.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
He should definitively get re-signed for one year. People may disagree, but I do think he was missed on the bottom pairing this year.
I honestly think one of the turning points in the season was when Wideman and Boro both went down. Not saying we make the playoffs with them but our depth took a massive hit when they were out.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I would be surprised if Ottawa would turn down a 1 year contract with Wideman.

I think it's the opposite. Wideman may not want to re-sign with Ottawa. He was never Boucher's favourite player deployment wise, in fact, he was being used as a winger at points prior to being shut down.

I assume Wideman would want to take a 1 or 2 year deal on a team where he'll have a chance to be the top PP quarterback and audition for a big pay day. Maybe if we end up replacing Boucher and trading Karlsson, Ottawa then becomes a good place for Wideman to sign a 1 year extension.

Possible, but I don't think Wideman has much of a bargaining power. I think he'll take a one year offer to build up his worth. He was always a bottom pairing D, and now with the major injury his value is even lower. I think he'll have a hard time finding a deal out there. Ottawa is his best bet.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wideman will get signed and to a multi year deal. RD that can move the puck like him always get contracts. He has a pretty good resume as well.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think we have seen the last of Wideman on the Senators.

We will have: Karlsson, Chabot, Ceci, Borowiecki, and Harpur signed with Claesson, Wolanin, Jaros and possibly Englund competing for the low salary spots.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think we have seen the last of Wideman on the Senators.

We will have: Karlsson, Chabot, Ceci, Borowiecki, and Harpur signed with Claesson, Wolanin, Jaros and possibly Englund competing for the low salary spots.

Ahh the Sens plan. 3 legit NHL defenders, 1/2 an NHL/AHL defender, and 5 average AHL Dman make up an NHL top 6 ‘that was 1 Goal away from the Stanley Cup Finals’

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Draft is June 22nd. Last time I checked that was before July 1st.

Yeah, that is what I posted.

Karlsson will get contract offer from Senators on July 1: report

I was replying to this poster, who claims EK65 will be traded at the draft, contrary to what PD is saying.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad