why would 2003 unsigned become UFA???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I think you need to clarify me on this one.

When a drafted player doesn't get signed, he normally re-enter the draft, no? (Tim Brent)

Why would Jeff Carter and others become UFAs?

And don't you think that the players and the owners will think about something in the CBA to avoid this problem? Ex: giving the teams one more year to sign their prospects? With no CBA signed, teams cannot sign other players anyway, so how could the Leafs sign Jeff Carter?

Stop dreaming about Jeff Carter in your team, Leafs fan... Carter will stay a Flyer, it's a sure thing.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Ryderama said:

When a drafted player doesn't get signed, he normally re-enter the draft, no? (Tim Brent)

Why would Jeff Carter and others become UFAs?

And don't you think that the players and the owners will think about something in the CBA to avoid this problem? Ex: giving the teams one more year to sign their prospects? With no CBA signed, teams cannot sign other players anyway, so how could the Leafs sign Jeff Carter?

Stop dreaming about Jeff Carter in your team, Leafs fan... Carter will stay a Flyer, it's a sure thing.

My interpretation:

1. The 2003 draftees are subject to the old CBA, so you can't "fix" the situation in the new one.

2. The old CBA gives teams 2 years to sign the prospects. Then he would re-enter the draft. It has happened a few times that the players that were not eligible for the 2nd draft(the ones with late birthdays) became UFAs.

3. So, it is concievable that if there is no draft for this guys to re-enter to, they will be UFAs.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ryderama said:

The player used to re-enter because the CBA said so, without a CBA there are no rules covering these players. But I what I was wondering is, are teams in the NHL allowed to sign players right now? Because what else good would it do?(since the new CBA certainly will cover these players.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It all depends when they hit 20. Under the old CBA, if you were unsigned, and 20, you became a free agent. See Aaron Rome. If you're under 20 when the deadline came, back into the draft. If all these guys are 20 by the time the CBA is resolved, free agency for all.

But, they could fix that in the new CBA, right? Wrong. That's what a grandfather clause is for. They were drafted under the old CBA, they play by the old CBA's rules. This might also come in handy for teams if a salary cap is indeed agreed upon. Unless I'm completely mistaken, teams can go over the salary cap if they were over that limit before the CBA expired. I can't see the NHLPA agreeing to a cap otherwise(if they did, anyway).

Pretty soon, the debate will be about the college guys. There's some guys like Jim Slater who hit UFA status if there's no CBA by June(unless he was already signed, of course), and if it isn't solved by June 2006, every college guy drafted in 2003 hits the open market.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Hercules Rockefeller said:
But, they could fix that in the new CBA, right? Wrong. That's what a grandfather clause is for. They were drafted under the old CBA, they play by the old CBA's rules.

Grandfather clauses aren't automatic. Right now there is no guarantee that Jeff Carter does not become a UFA - and if I'm not mistaken, Mike Richards is in the same boat (although, I'm too lazy to look up their birthdays).

Don't forget that some teams did sign their draft picks, like the Rangers signing Jessiman before the lockout. It wouldn't exactly be fair for those teams to have signed players to make sure they didn't lose their prospects but have other teams catch a break with an extension of time to sign those players. "Fairness" can be seen various ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->