News Article: Why will Red Wings coach Mike Babcock soon be a $4-million man? Here’s why

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm a big fan of Babcock and think he's the best in the business. This is an article with comments by some of his peers on why his next contract will be north of 4 M per.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/w...ke-babcock-soon-be-a-4-million-man-heres-why/

They have 5 reasons and comments from coaches under each. Under the 'he wins' category. That speaks volumes on how good he is. Last year they were overrun with injuries and he had a lot of very young players to manage and he got them going in the right direction and got the Wings into the playoffs.

Babcock is the only coach in the Triple Gold Club, with his Stanley Cup in 2008, his World Championship in 2004 and two Olympic gold medals. Add a WJC title in 1997, a Canadian university title in 1994, a provincial college title and two conference titles in the WHL and you have the ultimate winner.

Just look at the Wings 2013 run when they beat the Ducks in 7 games (a great seris,4 games went to OT) . He is a master behind the bench at taking the pulse of a game and adjusing. I knew when they beat the Ducks in game 6t, they'd take 7. He's just that good.

I don't think he'll sign in Detroit, or it would have been done by now and it's not about the money, he wants more control in player/personell moves and Holland isn't willing to give that up.
And given what a mess the Leafs are, and no guarantee Nonis will be back, I think they'd give him what he wants to come north. And a part of him would love to be the coach who helped the Leafs get a Cup finally.

Anyway, a good read with some good insight by other coaches on why MB is considered the best.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
That he kept that decimated red wings squad competitive last season was very impressive. If he's to become the highest paid guy I won't argue against it... though 4 mil is getting pretty ridiculous considering how often coaches get canned.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oh man, that's gonna make people even madder when he takes over for Darryl when he returns to the farm :D

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
One of the only other coaches I'd take over Sutter. Babcock is the cream of the crop when it comes to coaching...

Ron*

I don't think he'll sign in Detroit, or it would have been done by now and it's not about the money, he wants more control in player/personell moves and Holland isn't willing to give that up.

And given what a mess the Leafs are, and no guarantee Nonis will be back, I think they'd give him what he wants to come north. And a part of him would love to be the coach who helped the Leafs get a Cup finally.

Anyway, a good read with some good insight by other coaches on why MB is considered the best.

If he doesn't sign with Detroit or Toronto, who does he sign with Dee?

IMO he would have to have brain damage to go to the Leafs.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
If he doesn't sign with Detroit or Toronto, who does he sign with Dee?

IMO he would have to have brain damage to go to the Leafs.

About a month ago or maybe less, McKenzie and Dreger (separately) on TSN podcasts said that they thought the Flyer might be possible landing spot , citing that the Wings core (Dats and Zetterburg) are in their mid 30's and the FLyers core of Giroux and Voracek are 27.
Bobby Mac pointed out that Babcock isn't afraid of a challenge (and God knows the Flyers team s that) and more important that Ed Snider is not shy about putting a 5 in front of a lot of 0's , he has more money than God.
But I don't see that at all.
THe reason I think the Leafs might land him, he's a Canadian boy and loves his country, I heard him talking about it in between 2010 and 2014 Olympics. He said every kid in Canada dreams about lifting the Cup and how much he'd love to do that there. He spoke to the history in Toronto and how devoted the fans have been, a bit on the Hall of Fame and getting chills walking thru there. I think a part of him (and most high profile coaches) would love to be the guy that leads the Leafs to a Cup. And he could do it, I think, he's that good and with the right personnel moves.

But he might be looking at the youth on the Wings and like what he sees. Although I think they're a good team, they are not a Cup contender yet but maybe he wants to remain in place long enough to see the new generation go that route.

My guess is that the only team he'd leave Detroit for is the LEafs. I just think it's curious that he hasn't signed yet and HOllands offer in October was very generous, well north of 3M.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
About a month ago or maybe less, McKenzie and Dreger (separately) on TSN podcasts said that they thought the Flyer might be possible landing spot , citing that the Wings core (Dats and Zetterburg) are in their mid 30's and the FLyers core of Giroux and Voracek are 27.
Bobby Mac pointed out that Babcock isn't afraid of a challenge (and God knows the Flyers team s that) and more important that Ed Snider is not shy about putting a 5 in front of a lot of 0's , he has more money than God.
But I don't see that at all.
THe reason I think the Leafs might land him, he's a Canadian boy and loves his country, I heard him talking about it in between 2010 and 2014 Olympics. He said every kid in Canada dreams about lifting the Cup and how much he'd love to do that there. He spoke to the history in Toronto and how devoted the fans have been, a bit on the Hall of Fame and getting chills walking thru there. I think a part of him (and most high profile coaches) would love to be the guy that leads the Leafs to a Cup. And he could do it, I think, he's that good and with the right personnel moves.

But he might be looking at the youth on the Wings and like what he sees. Although I think they're a good team, they are not a Cup contender yet but maybe he wants to remain in place long enough to see the new generation go that route.

My guess is that the only team he'd leave Detroit for is the LEafs. I just think it's curious that he hasn't signed yet and HOllands offer in October was very generous, well north of 3M.

If he comes to Toronto, he is nuts. He needs to look at organizations with a future, not a team that has problems like Clarkson, Kessel and Phaneuf. These 3 are here for a long time unless a good trade is made for Kessel and/or Phaneuf. Clarkson may end up with the Marlies like Richards because of the cap hit and term but that wouldn't mean much of a cap savings.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
If he comes to Toronto, he is nuts. He needs to look at organizations with a future, not a team that has problems like Clarkson, Kessel and Phaneuf. These 3 are here for a long time unless a good trade is made for Kessel and/or Phaneuf. Clarkson may end up with the Marlies like Richards because of the cap hit and term but that wouldn't mean much of a cap savings.

Kessell and Phaneuf will be gone by June, Phaneuf maybe earlier. And The Kings only got 900K back on Richards, that' is not the reason he was sent there. Clarkson's got an awful contract, written as such makes it almost impossible to move , they have to hope part of his problem was the lack of leadership on the team and that next year with a new Captain and reconstructed core, he'll fare better.
His best year in the pros was under DeBeor who also had him in Junions. Maybe they'll sign Pete D to be their new coach.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Yep, I can't think of any successful ones since Sather did it in the 80s. Mike Keenan tried to be GM/Coach with the Blues, which was a disastrous tenure for him and the team.

I couldn't stand Sather when he was on the bench in the '80s, his smirk sure did irk me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad