Why were the Ducks eliminated in the first round in 2008?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the mcdonald trade really hurt them. selanne's and especially kunitz's production dropped as a result and weight did absolutely nothing

they just ran out of gas against a dallas team that ended up making it all the way to the WCF

Reactions: Fighter and Quack

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Well, the main reason imho was they lost 4 games. But I'm not sure.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Remember going to those games and it seemed like Dallas’ PP was over 100%.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Loads of reasons

- No 2C
- Stanley cup hangover
- Checking line was never as good after 2007, Pahlsson had surgery in the 2007 offseason and was still good afterwards but never an elite defensive forward again
- Bertuzzi and Weight openly clashed with Carlyle and never fit in here
- Perry was hurt
- Turco was a one man breakout who really negated our ability to dump and chase which was RCs go to system
- As others mentioned, Ribeiro torched us

Last edited:

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
They turned it up too late in the season and it didn't carry over into the playoffs. Scott and Teemu taking their sweet ass time didnt help either. I dont remember what our record was with the 2 of them back in the lineup but it was ridiculous. I also remember Giguere playing less than stellar. We should've beat the stars and I believe we would've made it to the wcf but I highly doubt we beat the 08 Red Wings.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They honestly looked gassed throughout the series. I managed to go to their only win of the series and they successfully played desperation hockey that night but for the most part they just looked like they didn't have it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Loads of reasons

- No 2C
- Stanley cup hangover
- Checking line was never as good after 2007, Pahlsson had surgery in the 2007 offseason and was still good afterwards but never an elite defensive forward again
- Perry was hurt
- Turco was a one man breakout who really negated our ability to dump and chase which was RCs go to system

This too.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Loads of reasons

- No 2C
- Stanley cup hangover
- Perry was hurt
yeah the checking line not being the same and turco's ability at handling the puck are two key reasons as well

that team was pretty inconsistent during the regular season. i remember at one point they lost 6 in a row. i think the andy mac trade was the biggest reason for their regression that season though. teemu still managed to put up 23 pts in 26 games but he and kunitz would've been far more productive with andy mac instead of dead weight

bertuzzi was terrible but schneider was pretty solid that season filling in for niedermayer on D

Reactions: Paul4587

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The Andy Mac for Weight trade was a dreadful move. Ducks would have won it all in 09 with Andy Mac on that team. No question in my mind

Would have had:

Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Kunitz-Macdonald-Selanne

Beauchemin-Nieds
Pronger-Wisniewski

that group would have only been a slight notch below the 2007 group

it was a blown opportunity by Burke

Last edited:

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
The Andy Mac for Weight trade was a dreadful move. Ducks would have won it all in 09 with Andy Mac on that team. No question in my mind

Would have had:

Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Kunitz-Macdonald-Selanne

Beauchemin-Nieds
Pronger-Wisniewski

that group would have only been a slight notch below the 2007 group

it was a blown opportunity by Burke

Wasnt Andy Mac traded to clear cap to sign Scott?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah the andy mac trade was made out of necessity in order to bring back selanne and niedermayer. it wasn't like burke just dealt him for no reason

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
It was the return that killed us on the Andy Mac trade. Weight was like 37 and useless. He had like 11 points in 40 games when they traded for him.

Andy Mac was a 30 year old #1 center coming off of a Stanley cup with 1 full year left on his contract.

A return of Weight and a seventh is so f***ing bad, it still pisses me off.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
It was the return that killed us on the Andy Mac trade. Weight was like 37 and useless. He had like 11 points in 40 games when they traded for him.

Andy Mac was a 30 year old #1 center coming off of a Stanley cup with 1 full year left on his contract.

A return of Weight and a seventh is so f***ing bad, it still pisses me off.
Should we inform the Blues that they owe us O'Reilly for Backes, De Leo and a 7th?

Oct 18, 2011
Why couldn't they follow up their success in 2007? Was it because of Selanne and Niedermayer missing most of the year?
Andy Mac trade for useless Doug Weight and the team just mailed it in alot they got by on talent and were not ready for the playoffs

If Burke never gives Andy away I think we would have been in the finals in 09 though, we were neck and neck with Detroit with no second line at all in that series

Oct 18, 2011
yeah the andy mac trade was made out of necessity in order to bring back selanne and niedermayer. it wasn't like burke just dealt him for no reason
He traded him before Selanne made a decision and Andy had nobody to play with that year. Schneider and Bertuzzi were bandaids, as I remember Bertuzzi had a couple good stretches but wasn't the same force he used to be and we just didn't get value for Andy Mac, he was a 90 point center and we gave him away for useless Doug Weight

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I never got over Andy Mac trade, being one of my fav Ducks (and one of the least recognized too IMO): that team was STACKED, I still think that moving Andy prevented us to win at least another Cup if not two. I remember we were cap strapped back then but deal whoever you want (still pissed at the contracts handed out by Burke though the previous offseason), just NOT your first line center! Bertuzzi was such a dumb signing, really coming out as "you're one of my boys, take these four millions for two years even if you're done". f*** THAT!

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah, burke really did a bad job of managing the cap and they lost andy mac because of it. the awful return made it even worse. i still don't get how burke only managed to get 36 yr old doug weight and a 7th in exchange for a guy coming off 80+ and 70+ pt seasons, respectively. seems like burke just panicked and took the first offer he got. and it wasn't until kesler that the ducks again had two great centers on the roster

schneider played well that season but i hated the bertuzzi signing from day one because the guy is a POS. made it worse that he didn't do shit on the ice either

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Burke was completely hamstrung by Teemu and Nieds though. At that point neither was coming back and both needed replacing. If he sits there and does nothing and they both opt to retire it could have gotten ugly.

It sucks that McDonald was the casualty and that was a poor choice but he was having an awful start to 2007-08 and many were claiming he was a product of Teemu. Still doesn’t justify who he was traded for but there was certainly some logic behind why he was the one moved.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
I'd like to also add that, if memory serves, M-A Bergeron, who was supposed to anchor our powerplay while Scott was still mulling over his retirement, got injured after just nine games with us. Guy could have become a legit top-4 defenseman for us, but was traded in the off-season for a third round pick (Brandon MacMillan). It also didn't help that Schneider and Pronger seemed to have played with injuries all the time while O'Donnell and Kent Huskins regressed with every game.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Loads of reasons

- No 2C
- Stanley cup hangover
- Perry was hurt

Turco comment is spot on. He was so good at playing the puck and RC could not counter his ability to disrupt the dump and give away.

he also stopped a heck of a lot of scoring chances
I felt like he was the. Big difference in that series

Reactions: Paul4587

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I'd like to also add that, if memory serves, M-A Bergeron, who was supposed to anchor our powerplay while Scott was still mulling over his retirement, got injured after just nine games with us. Guy could have become a legit top-4 defenseman for us, but was traded in the off-season for a third round pick (Brandon MacMillan). It also didn't help that Schneider and Pronger seemed to have played with injuries all the time while O'Donnell and Kent Huskins regressed with every game.
holy crap i forgot MAB played for the ducks

you're right about him getting injured right away. pronger and schneider anchored that PP well but MAB was a good option on the second PP unit

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I don’t think Bergeron was acquired until the trade deadline, well after everyone was back and playing. Think he was more a depth move in the same mould as Jackman was the year before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad