Why wasn't Ryder re-signed?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Yeah he started playing with Galchenyuk and Eller? How is that a bad thing? Pleks line could have been considered as 2nd or 3rd on some nights.

Chemistry.

The end result was Pleks stopped scoring and Ryder stopped scoring.

Ryder is/was far better than Briere or Cole.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Because they had a chance to land a french canadian superstar. Don't you appreciate that? Briere is amazing, worth every penny.

I total agree.........Montreal is not in the 60's or 70's no more.....the French connection is all over the league now. We can't be a power house no more with just French Canadians.....the secrets out!!!!

Signing Briere was a waste of money...so he is French......sooo am I !!!

Ryder would have won us more games when he gets hot......and to say he fades in the playoffs is stupid.....do you remember when he won a cup with boston......he killed us in the playoffs

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Cap dump it as simple as that. Ryder would not have signed for less than likely 4 years and management was not interested. Montreal got a third round pick and some cap space to go after a bigger fish than Ryder or Briere. (Lecavalier) It did not happen so they settled on a short term deal with Briere. Now it turn out Ryder was happy to take two years in NJ but that only because of the small cap and the lack of options. He would have cost more in Montreal it always cost more in Montreal. You can thank the Quebec Government love of taxing everything to death for that!

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Ryder didn't want to play here.. He wanted to play for a team in the sun, but when Clowe signed with NJ he was with him and just kind of went for it

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Briere is a better hockey player. The usual size obsessed crowd can't see past 5'10 vs 6'1 here but they don't watch much hockey apparently.

As others have pointed out, Ryder disappeared last year and didn't fit in well. Picking up Briere can potentially be much more rewarding.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Briere is a better hockey player. The usual size obsessed crowd can't see past 5'10 vs 6'1 here but they don't watch much hockey apparently.

As others have pointed out, Ryder disappeared last year and didn't fit in well. Picking up Briere can potentially be much more rewarding.

It's quite a laugh to see someone citing last year's performances in favor of Briere.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Cole was much more useful than Ryder. I would take the former any day of the week.

Yup but Cole fit our team style a lot more with his speed. Ryder is just a floater

Ryder is not a top 6 player, he isn't consistent enough for that type of role. He did well in Boston as a 3rd liner, that's what he is

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Yup but Cole fit our team style a lot more with his speed. Ryder is just a floater

Ryder is not a top 6 player, he isn't consistent enough for that type of role. He did well in Boston as a 3rd liner, that's what he is

Cole has "retired in spirit" now and people would be *****ing every game about how he "doesn't care". He'd be on the third line now, fumbling his passes from DDelicious.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I'm pissed off at the Brière signing so far, but let's give it some time ! The guy is a notorious slow starter. Vincent Damphousse said on l'antichambre he used to be a slow starter too.

PS Ryder doesn't have enough Karakteur... he's a passenger, a tourist.

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
As much as i hate Briere, he is someone who always deliver in the playoffs.

As much as i hate Ryder, he is someone who always deliver in the season.

Now look what happen last playoff, and ask yourself who you enjoy the most.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I know this may be a late post but i never really understood why Michael Ryder was never re signed for the habs after playing, from what i saw, some pretty good hockey. Just a question to clear some things up

Primarily because he completely flopped at playoff time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->