Why was Selanne originally traded...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Kilger had 40 goals and 95 points in 62 games in his draft year. That is first line upside. And, given his size, he had scouts drooling. But, he's a perfect example of why drafting for size is stupid. It just doesn't compensate for other deficiencies, while, good skating does.

Also an example about bringing guys up too young.

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
Sophmore jinx was Selanne`s problem in 93/94 and injury almost ruined the future...1994/95 he striked back and played solid season but without super-success...1995/96 Selanne proved he wasnt shooting star and 97-2000 were also very good seasons.

Sharks-trade brought Selanne hard seasons and Avs-season was total flop. It was miracle that Selanne made superb comeback.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Before Selanne was traded to the Ducks there was a deal in place with the Washington Capitals that (if I remember right) was Selanne for Jason Allison and Nolan Baumgartner. Baumgartner was very highly regarded out of juniors and didn't pan out.

Anyhow, the Caps jackass owner at the time didn't want to spend the money for Selanne and he nixed the deal. What a joke.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Before Selanne was traded to the Ducks there was a deal in place with the Washington Capitals that (if I remember right) was Selanne for Jason Allison and Nolan Baumgartner. Baumgartner was very highly regarded out of juniors and didn't pan out.

Anyhow, the Caps jackass owner at the time didn't want to spend the money for Selanne and he nixed the deal. What a joke.
Imagine Bondra and Selanne on the same team :eek:.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Imagine the medical bills of Allison and Zhamnov on the same team :yo: That alone would've sunk the Jets.

I remember Kilgar was said to have pretty good skating for a big man as well. Was he really that slow?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Imagine the medical bills of Allison and Zhamnov on the same team :yo: That alone would've sunk the Jets.

I remember Kilgar was said to have pretty good skating for a big man as well. Was he really that slow?

I'm not sure if Zhamnov had medical problems in his Jets days.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The comparison I remember being tossed around for Kilger was Kirk Muller. There should be a moratorium on Muller comparisons. Chris Gratton received the same billing, and look what happened to him.

Kilger was the consensus No. 4 pick in 1995. Most scouts had either Bryan Berard or Wade Redden at No. 1, Aki Berg at No. 3 and Kilger at No. 4. There was a very small minority that had Berg or Kilger at No. 1.

I'm not sure how much of a factor it was in the trade, but I remember reading that Kariya and Selanne were linemates at the 1996 all-star game in Boston (I can't verify that from my memories of the game, simply because I don't watch the all-star joke). Kariya loved playing with Selanne and went to the Ducks' powers that be and told them that they need to do everything they can to acquire Selanne.

shatner_rules

You're in Trouba
Nov 22, 2004
Manitoba
Yup, worse trade by Paddock in his tenure as GM of the Jets. Now, if it had been Tkachuk instead of Selanne I would have done it.

To defend Paddock, this was done during the teams final year in the 'Peg so the new owners may have had a hand in this.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
my take it that it was a salary dump.

that line of Alexei, Teemu and Walt were a huge chunk of the Jets $13.5 million? $16 million? or so payroll.

the league was getting too rich for us.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
people often forget teemu cut his achilles tendon and looked like he might be done forever as a top scorer at the time of this trade. he was due a big raise and it was questionable if he would earn it. zhamnov was a stud at the time and they had to choose. it was a huge package at the time as others have said. two top 4 picks is as good as you can get prospect wise. people mock kilger but he was touted as a stud. oleg was pretty amazing when he was young. it looked like a deal the jets would win initially. its a good lesson for hf'ers who tout their prospects over proven players.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Winnipeg chose wrong between a player who loved Winnipeg and wanted to stay there, and a player who held them up for more money before his career even began. Selanne was beloved in Winnipeg, involved in mucho charity work, and wanted to stay there. Zhamnov tried to appeal to the league to make him an UFA before he even signed his first contract with the Jets.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Selanne loved Winnipeg but in the end the trade was the best for him since it revived his career in Anaheim.

The Jets also moved that same year so he would still have had to move.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
IMO, it was to originally pay for Keith Tkachuk's contract. He was about to sign a deal with Chicago or Boston for a heck of alot of money but Winnipeg management at the time, who were thinking "hey since were moving to Phoenix next year, we need a start to center that franchise"...and thus, Teemu was OUT, Keith stayed..since Keith was American and Teemu was from Finland. I never liked that deal back then and I still don't like it now, after Teemu left, Keith was hailed as the poster boy for the Jets and put the team on his back towards the playoffs...his numbers that year were good 50 goals, 48 assists for 98 points..

Keith has good talent, but that stupid money put his brain into complete trash

and what Winnipeg got in return...geeze...:shakehead

but at the time I hated it, but Tverdovsky was a solid defenseman..

The Thomas J.*

IMO, it was to originally pay for Keith Tkachuk's contract. He was about to sign a deal with Chicago or Boston for a heck of alot of money but Winnipeg management at the time, who were thinking "hey since were moving to Phoenix next year, we need a start to center that franchise"...and thus, Teemu was OUT, Keith stayed..since Keith was American and Teemu was from Finland. I never liked that deal back then and I still don't like it now, after Teemu left, Keith was hailed as the poster boy for the Jets and put the team on his back towards the playoffs...his numbers that year were good 50 goals, 48 assists for 98 points..

Keith has good talent, but that stupid money put his brain into complete trash

and what Winnipeg got in return...geeze...:shakehead

but at the time I hated it, but Tverdovsky was a solid defenseman..

Tkachuk & Roenick were a solid combonation for a few years, Both those guys carried the franchise.

FloriDuck

Jun 19, 2007
Selanne loved Winnipeg but in the end the trade was the best for him since it revived his career in Anaheim.

The Jets also moved that same year so he would still have had to move.

And he equally loved it in Anaheim, and on his second stint with the Ducks - Won the Cup and will be the first Duck to have his number retired.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'd imagine Kilger and Tverdovsky back then would be a similar package to say Pitkanen and Van Riemsdyk from Philly, being traded for say Rick Nash?

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario

He's a good skater, fantastic if you consider his size. He's one of those textbook cases of having everything you need but not being able to make it work, for whatever reason.

I remember him mentioning that the Anaheim coaching staff were especially inept in handling him, and it ruined his confidence.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
As a Jets fan at the time, we unanimously thought the deal smelled real fishy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->