Why was Marc-Andre Fleury selected 1st overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
SauveQuiPeut said:
Pens fans calling Ian Moran a "capable second pairing d-man?" He was bashed quite a bit in Pittsburgh, even if he was being misused, so don't think fan opinion suddenly shifted when he left the team.
Exactly. I don't know one Pens fan on these boards who didn't hate Moran when he played here.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
You blew a meaningless game out of proportion, in order to pimp your player...come on, get it.

Seriously dude, you need to re-read the whole post I made. It was sarcasm, pure and simple.

If it was too difficult for you to comprehend, I will spell it out. Everyone was spouting off that MAF is bad, because his stats are not dominating the entire league. My post went on to, in a very well defined sarcastic manner, poke fun at this and the expectations that people have for MAF for immediate dominance on his part.

At the end of my post, I did congratulate him though for playing a good game, which if you would have listened to said game, as I did, you would have known this to be a fairly valid sentiment.

Do not come attacking me if you cannot understand a simplictic methodology such as sarcasm. It completely negates any meaningful rhetoric that you may spout in the future.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
DynamoAO said:
You blew a meaningless game out of proportion, in order to pimp your player...come on, get it.

I defy anyone to find in this thread very many who are 'defending' Maffy state that he is the next coming or making any huge out of line projections. By far, most of those here who defend Maffy, from what I have read, have said basically that the kid is just that, a kid, and that it is far too soon to write him off. He has the same amazing skills and reflexes that made him so well thought of pre-draft, but whether he will put it all together is something none of us can say, and none here have said.

In fact the Maffy detractors have been far more idiotic in their far too premature writing him off, going way off the deep end the other way, than any Maffy supporter could be called in their pretty reasonable attitude of we need to wait and see how he developes at least a couple more years before making statements either way.

Go Flames Go*

Vicious Vic said:
I think there's at least some validity to the point. With Hasek, who was feared across Europe (there's a classic story about Jagr nearly wetting himself with terror when the Hawks pulled Belfour and put Hasek in during a game in the 92 SC Finals), there was some adjustment time to the NA game. Same for Fleury. There's going to be adjustment time to the pro game. Some just find their niche faster than others and it is definitely NOT an indicator of uspide.
For example, Sergei Samsonov had a MUCH better rookie year than Joe Thornton. Who would you rather have now?

you could make the same point for any highly touted goalie who struggles his first year. so compare fleury to hasek because they both struggled really means nothing. not to mention hasek was in a new culture and new game, while fleury wasn t IMO. he looked dominant at times as a 19 year old just wasnt ever going to maintian that level of play to that age on that team. oh well, he was only 19. so fleury is still working toward being a number 1, but his career should not be compared at all to a hasek or roy. that was the point i was trying to make.

IkeaMonkey*

Jaded-Fan said:
I defy anyone to find in this thread very many who are 'defending' Maffy state that he is the next coming or making any huge out of line projections. By far, most of those here who defend Maffy, from what I have read, have said basically that the kid is just that, a kid, and that it is far too soon to write him off. He has the same amazing skills and reflexes that made him so well thought of pre-draft, but whether he will put it all together is something none of us can say, and none here have said.

In fact the Maffy detractors have been far more idiotic in their far too premature writing him off, going way off the deep end the other way, than any Maffy supporter could be called in their pretty reasonable attitude of we need to wait and see how he developes at least a couple more years before making statements either way.

I'm not writing him off at all. He's still the 2nd best goalie prospect out there to me. However, I dont make billboards and pass out stickers everytime he shuts out the friggin Bridgeport Soundtigers with FOURTEEN saves.Any way you slice the numbers, Lehtonen is out performing Fleury.

IkeaMonkey*

craig1 said:
Seriously dude, you need to re-read the whole post I made. It was sarcasm, pure and simple.

If it was too difficult for you to comprehend, I will spell it out. Everyone was spouting off that MAF is bad, because his stats are not dominating the entire league. My post went on to, in a very well defined sarcastic manner, poke fun at this and the expectations that people have for MAF for immediate dominance on his part.

At the end of my post, I did congratulate him though for playing a good game, which if you would have listened to said game, as I did, you would have known this to be a fairly valid sentiment.

Do not come attacking me if you cannot understand a simplictic methodology such as sarcasm. It completely negates any meaningful rhetoric that you may spout in the future.

You made a "sarcastic"(homeristic) post, using a single game as substance to "get back" at the Fleury haters. You basically kicked your own opinions credibility in the sack by "sarcastically" blowing a game out of proportion.If you want to pimp a player, do it with substance. Throw more steak into your claims than sizzle.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
Shrug, I'm guess I'm just caught up in all the other Pittsburgh hubub on this board. Morozov being an "EXTREMELY TALENTED PPG PLAYER". Moran being a "capable 2nd pairing defenseman when on the Pens" to being a "useless pylon" on the Broons.Hell, I think I read somewhere on here someone ranked Chiodo ahead of Cam Ward.

You really need to get over your anti-Pittsburgh fan mantra. Its boring.

IkeaMonkey*

clefty said:
You really need to get over your anti-Pittsburgh fan mantra. Its boring.

Oh sorry, the memo missed my desk that Morozov is EITHER extremely talented or a PPG player.

It's not anti-Pittsburgh either, It's anti-homer. I have homer radar, it just seems to go off a helluva lot more with people from Pittsburgh, Montreal and Toronto...

IkeaMonkey*

I thought it was "give me a break, give me a break, break me off a piece of that Kit-Kat bar"....Hmmmm

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
Oh sorry, the memo missed my desk that Morozov is EITHER extremely talented or a PPG player.

It's not anti-Pittsburgh either, It's anti-homer. I have homer radar, it just seems to go off a helluva lot more with people from Pittsburgh, Montreal and Toronto...

I think the funniest part is, the homeristic statments you mentioned earlier, as far as I know from frequenting the Pens board the past couple of years, are/were non-existent.

Ian Moran was trashed practically every week when he was on the Penguins at one point. I can't think of a single person trying to pass him off a top 4. Hell, I even got sick of all the crap he was getting at one point, b/c it was in almost every thread!

Morozov also has a fair share of critics among Pens-faithful. A few Pens posters on this board think he's trash, but I can't think of one putting him on a ppg clip over a full season (and w/o Lemieux). Also, he is extremely talented....but as we should all know talent doesn't always lead to results.

As far as with Fleury, sure one game is irrelevant, but I really don't think craig1 was trying to 'pimp up' Fleury due to one game but rather defend him in yet another thread trashing him. Rightfully defending a prospect doesn't equal being a homer in my book. He used one game as an example...so? A lot of Fleury's naysayers will use one period of one game as a key defense on why he'll never be a great goalie....

Maybe you should get that homer radar checked out, and pick up a sarcasm radar to compliment it.

IkeaMonkey*

Rowsdower said:
Morozov also has a fair share of critics among Pens-faithful. A few Pens posters on this board think he's trash, but I can't think of one putting him on a ppg clip over a full season (and w/o Lemieux).

The Morozov comment was acctually one of yours. Perhaps you have forgetten.I specifically remember it being you because I even let you retract your statements when I said something along the lines of "Kovalchuk and Kovalev are EXTREMELY talented, Morozov is not" and you tried to sell it to me even more. I didnt want to drop any names, but since you have commented...

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
The Morozov comment was acctually one of yours. Perhaps you have forgetten.I specifically remember it being you because I even let you retract your statements when I said something along the lines of "Kovalchuk and Kovalev are EXTREMELY talented, Morozov is not" and you tried to sell it to me even more. I didnt want to drop any names, but since you have commented...

I did forget. Probably b/c I never made it. Would you like to provide some proof? Or at least elaborate on what you claimed I said? If all I said was that Morozov's a great talent, then hell I'll stand by it. However, I don't think that will transalte to him being an elite player in the NHL, as he has been lacking in many other areas, and was inconsistent as hell last season (particularly the 1st half, when he was god-awful).

IkeaMonkey*

Rowsdower said:
I did forget. Probably b/c I never made it. Would you like to provide some proof? Or at least elaborate on what you claimed I said?

Oh its okay, when I make a foolish statement, I pretend like it didnt happen too...

Elaborate...Elaborate... This was at least a year ago...There was a poll up, I believe in the NHL forum about Morozov's production. I said he was a 50-60 point guy as long as he was playing with Mario. You claimed he was (AND I QUOTE) "EXTREMELY talented" and "didnt need Mario to be a PPG player". I then listed a handful of players who were and are extremely talented, yet you stuck to your PPG, extremely talented guns.

Just admit you were wrong...come on.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
Oh its okay, when I make a foolish statement, I pretend like it didnt happen too...

Elaborate...Elaborate... This was at least a year ago...There was a poll up, I believe in the NHL forum about Morozov's production. I said he was a 50-60 point guy as long as he was playing with Mario. You claimed he was (AND I QUOTE) "EXTREMELY talented" and "didnt need Mario to be a PPG player". I then listed a handful of players who were and are extremely talented, yet you stuck to your PPG, extremely talented guns.

Just admit you were wrong...come on.

Well it's good you elaborated, because I believe you are mistaken, and will continue to feel such until you can provide me with the poll where I said it. It's not 'pretending' or any crap like that, I honestly have no clue what you are babbling about.

But hey, believe whatever you want. I don't see the guy ever hitting ppg in the NHL, and don't recall ever having such a stance.

Something more along the lines of what I may have said is that he doesn't need Mario to be a good player, which he doesn't IMO.

I have serious doubts you can remember what I said word for word in a poll that was supposedly conducted over a year ago.

IkeaMonkey*

Rowsdower said:
But hey, believe whatever you want. I don't see the guy ever hitting ppg in the NHL, and don't recall ever having such a stance.

Your opinion changes fast then, it's cool.

You did change your username correct, were you not "Rowsdower 3:16" or something to that numbered effect?

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
Your opinion changes fast then, it's cool.

You did change your username correct, were you not "Rowsdower 3:16" or something to that numbered effect?

Yes I did. Congrats. I'd still like to see the words you're putting in my mouth alongside that name, in the poll you claim that I said them. When searching is re-enabled, I'll try to track it down.

I have serious doubts you can remember what I said word for word in a poll that was supposedly conducted over a year ago (which is also btw, a considerable amount of time for one's opinion to change).

IkeaMonkey*

Rowsdower said:
Yes I did.

I have serious doubts you can remember what I said word for word in a poll that was supposedly conducted over a year ago (which is also btw, a considerable amount of time for one's opinion to change).

Welp, since you are Rowsdower 3:16...

Who said I knew word for word what you said? I gave two small quoted blips because they were the most outrageous. I do have quite the good memory, but to memorize every word in every post made on here, is a bit much.

"btw, a considerable amount of time for one's opinion to change"...You seem to be leaving the window open to the fact that you said this...just admit it bro, we're all friends here ;)

A hint for credibility on online forums as well: Don't edit every single post. Everything I've quoted so far, you have reworded and added to. You probably cant remember saying what you said about Morozov because you edited it two minutes later or something.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
Welp, since you are Rowsdower 3:16...

Who said I knew word for word what you said? I gave two small quoted blips because they were the most outrageous. I do have quite the good memory, but to memorize every word in every post made on here, is a bit much.

"btw, a considerable amount of time for one's opinion to change"...You seem to be leaving the window open to the fact that you said this...just admit it bro, we're all friends here ;)

Well, looks like you cracked the case. :shakehead

Find me the link, then get back to me.

IkeaMonkey*

I'll let you do the searching when the searching gets re-enabled. I leave this mini-convo knowing I'm right and you are in denial. Good day to you, kind sir.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
A hint for credibility on online forums as well: Don't edit every single post. Everything I've quoted so far, you have reworded and added to. You probably cant remember saying what you said about Morozov because you edited it two minutes later or something.

Obviously coming from a wealth of credibility such as yourself....

I edit my posts b/c I am always thinking of new comments to add to them. I don't see how that makes me less credible....I've been adding moreso than retracting in my statements.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
I'll let you do the searching when the searching gets re-enabled. I leave this mini-convo knowing I'm right and you are in denial. Good day to you, kind sir.

Heh. I thinks it's time we got over ourself and grew up.

Enjoy being ignorant. I often wish I was diluted with the idea that I was always right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->