Why was Marc-Andre Fleury selected 1st overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Flames Go*

Reilly311 said:
Hasek was always good. He was the most dominant goalie from the day he got his starting job until he won his stanley cup.

this is true but hasek wasn t a starter until he was 28. prior to that this man who created the incredible save % had 89.3% and 89.6% in 20 and 28 games.

thats why a hasek-fleury comparison holds nothing. hasek was older and drafted in the 10th round and went on to create a niche in the history of goaltending. so will fleury, he is that good, but it will be because of his athletism and demeanour, not changing the game like a roy or hasek.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Reilly311 said:
Hasek was always good. He was the most dominant goalie from the day he got his starting job until he won his stanley cup.

Not really. Look at his years with the Blackhawks. And there was some adjustment time with the Sabres as well. Hasek's first season in Buffalo he played 1 less game than the "true" starter, Grant Fuhr, and I can say from actually watching him back then that he still looked like he was struggling to find his groove. And clearly, he eventually did.

Besides Reilly, I get the impression that you like Fleury a lot. We should be agreeing on this stuff. :D

makaveli92 said:
this is true but hasek wasn t a starter until he was 28. prior to that this man who created the incredible save % had 89.3% and 89.6% in 20 and 28 games.

thats why a hasek-fleury comparison holds nothing. hasek was older and drafted in the 10th round and went on to create a niche in the history of goaltending. so will fleury, he is that good, but it will be because of his athletism and demeanour, not changing the game like a roy or hasek.

I think there's at least some validity to the point. With Hasek, who was feared across Europe (there's a classic story about Jagr nearly wetting himself with terror when the Hawks pulled Belfour and put Hasek in during a game in the 92 SC Finals), there was some adjustment time to the NA game. Same for Fleury. There's going to be adjustment time to the pro game. Some just find their niche faster than others and it is definitely NOT an indicator of uspide.
For example, Sergei Samsonov had a MUCH better rookie year than Joe Thornton. Who would you rather have now?

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Chayos1 said:
Luongo is better than fleury and Lehtinen will probably be better as well!

Luongo's better NOW, sure, but I hear this Fleury kid has an awful lot of talent. You never know what the future holds. Plus, Maffy can actually fit his pads through the locker room door. :lol

As for Lehtonen, a year ago people were saying the exact opposite with Fleury way ahead. A few bad games and the kid is a pariah. Again, give it a few years, THEN compare.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
You keep saying that a year ago people thought Fleury was way ahead of Lehtonen. You have said this like 3-4 times already. Fact is, that never was the case. I have been reading this forum for a good 3-4 years now, and followed both goalies very closely. I never saw public sentiment sway towards thinking Fleury was ahead of Lehtonen, even after Fleury's hot start in the NHL last year.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Chayos1 said:
Luongo is better than fleury and Lehtinen will probably be better as well!
does any of this really matter? its going to be fun watching these two play out their careers. they were both taken very high, and they have both followed the right path so far. i dont think you can say either really has an edge until lehtonen has made it, and then a year later fluery doesnt. thats a ways away right now, so whats the point? fluery was a good choice that day, as 1-5 were interchangeable imo. i wouldve been just as happy if the canes had ended up with fluery instead of staal, and i would still feel that way today. both these kids are studs. rick dipietro went no 1, didnt he? over heatley? no one ever talks about that anymore. ricks a no 1 goalie now and on his way to being a great one - everyone thinks heatley is the clear choice....but a no 1 goalie who can win you the cup is more important than any position player. its not all about offensive stars - pitts was rebuilding and a stud at the toughest position was available, i dont see the problem.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
It is simple. The Penguins knew who their man was, and traded up to ensure that they would get him. Not only that, they got rid of dead weight to do so.

But we all know they were "stupid", don't we?

Hockeyheart

Dec 15, 2004
Marmax said:
What the hell are you babbling about?? And unless Fleury convert to a forward he has 0 chances to be the next Doug Wickenheiser.

:loony:
The Doug Wickenheiser Statement was made to indicate a FLOP!! Had nothing to do with what position he played!!! Must of been a tough one to get!!! I'll make sure I explane everything for you next time./////////////// What I don't understand about this thread???? People making bold statements about Fluery Having a guaranteed future as a star in the NHL. Of course he has the potential, thats a no brainer, but he hasn't done anything in the last year to convice me!! I know he's 20, and playing alright, over the course of the year you should see some signs of development!! I haven't seen much if any progress yet. What he struggle's with are huge things!!If you don't know what they are you don't know much about goal tending!!!

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Taxman said:
You keep saying that a year ago people thought Fleury was way ahead of Lehtonen. You have said this like 3-4 times already. Fact is, that never was the case. I have been reading this forum for a good 3-4 years now, and followed both goalies very closely. I never saw public sentiment sway towards thinking Fleury was ahead of Lehtonen, even after Fleury's hot start in the NHL last year.

Well here's a poll..

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=21485

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyheart said:
The Doug Wickenheiser Statement was made to indicate a FLOP!! Had nothing to do with what position he played!!! Must of been a tough one to get!!! I'll make sure I explane everything for you next time./////////////// What I don't understand about this thread???? People making bold statements about Fluery Having a guaranteed future as a star in the NHL. Of course he has the potential, thats a no brainer, but he hasn't done anything in the last year to convice me!! I know he's 20, and playing alright, over the course of the year you should see some signs of development!! I haven't seen much if any progress yet. What he struggle's with are huge things!!If you don't know what they are you don't know much about goal tending!!!
How many times have you seen him play this year? And what does he struggle with?

IkeaMonkey*

craig1 said:
MAF only had a shutout last night against Bridgeport. His stat line was:

GAA: 0.00
Sv%: 1.00
SoG: 14

This is completely unacceptable for the #1 overall pick! He sould have had a GAA below 0.00 and a much higher save percentage. I know goalies that are 4th on their teams prospect chart that would have blown his stats out of the water if they were in goal for him!

Good game MAF! :handclap:

Quite an accomplishment. Shutting out the 4th worst team in the league, a team that doesnt have a scorer in the top 75. You pens homers really look for the most minute things and then blow them out of proportion to try to pimp your players.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
DynamoAO said:
Quite an accomplishment. Shutting out the 4th worst team in the league, a team that doesnt have a scorer in the top 75. You pens homers really look for the most minute things and then blow them out of proportion to try to pimp your players.
yea, pens homers are the worst :shakehead

IkeaMonkey*

Dark Metamorphosis said:
yea, pens homers are the worst :shakehead

You are the guy who said Malkin is a better franchise player than Crosby right?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
DynamoAO said:
You are the guy who said Malkin is a better franchise player than Crosby right?
no, i was the guy that said crosby will be better than malkin, but malkin will be a franchise player too...sheesh, talk about selective listening.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
What the....? MAF played a good game. A lot of people here were stating stats this, stats that. I showed them that he had a good statistical game, regardless of how he played or whom the opponent was. It seems that is what everyone wants to base greatness and ability on.

How the heck am I being a homer by repeating his stat line and saying good game........Please, enlighten me. There must be a hidden sixth level on Maslow's Heirarchy of needs called homerism that I must be stuck on. I'm trying to reach self-actualization. Give me a hand in doing so.......

IkeaMonkey*

Dark Metamorphosis said:
no, i was the guy that said crosby will be better than malkin, but malkin will be a franchise player too...sheesh, talk about selective listening.

Shrug, I'm guess I'm just caught up in all the other Pittsburgh hubub on this board. Morozov being an "EXTREMELY TALENTED PPG PLAYER". Moran being a "capable 2nd pairing defenseman when on the Pens" to being a "useless pylon" on the Broons.Hell, I think I read somewhere on here someone ranked Chiodo ahead of Cam Ward.

IkeaMonkey*

craig1 said:
What the....? MAF played a good game. A lot of people here were stating stats this, stats that. I showed them that he had a good statistical game, regardless of how he played or whom the opponent was. It seems that is what everyone wants to base greatness and ability on.

Hate to break it to you. A boxscore isnt a stat. A box score is a SINGLE GAME summary. A stat is something that adds up over the course of a season. If you look at the STATS, Lehtonen's save% is 20 points higher and his GAA is .2 lower.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
DynamoAO said:
Shrug, I'm guess I'm just caught up in all the other Pittsburgh hubub on this board. Morozov being an "EXTREMELY TALENTED PPG PLAYER". Moran being a "capable 2nd pairing defenseman when on the Pens" to being a "useless pylon" on the Broons.Hell, I think I read somewhere on here someone ranked Chiodo ahead of Cam Ward.

Pens fans calling Ian Moran a "capable second pairing d-man?" He was bashed quite a bit in Pittsburgh, even if he was being misused, so don't think fan opinion suddenly shifted when he left the team.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
Hate to break it to you. A boxscore isnt a stat. A box score is a SINGLE GAME summary. A stat is something that adds up over the course of a season. If you look at the STATS, Lehtonen's save% is 20 points higher and his GAA is .2 lower.

Ahhhh.....Wrong.

A stat can be any sample size I choose it to be. That is the fun with statistics. Populations are nearly impossible to work with in most cases, so in turn, sample sizes are more frequently chosen..........even a single sample is a statistic.........works out great for Variance and Standard Deviation that way. Probability and Forecasting get fun too!

Back to your point.....I specified in my thread that he played a great game. I also losted his stats for the game. I never said anything about this being a larger sample size, nor anything indicative of his whole seasons stats. I said he played a great game.

IkeaMonkey*

craig1 said:
Ahhhh.....Wrong.

A stat can be any sample size I choose it to be. That is the fun with statistics. Populations are nearly impossible to work with in most cases, so in turn, sample sizes are more frequently chosen..........even a single sample is a statistic.........works out great for Variance and Standard Deviation that way. Probability and Forecasting get fun too!

Back to your point.....I specified in my thread that he played a great game. I also losted his stats for the game. I never said anything about this being a larger sample size, nor anything indicative of his whole seasons stats. I said he played a great game.

Oh...my mistake...I thought saying....

This is completely unacceptable for the #1 overall pick! He sould have had a GAA below 0.00 and a much higher save percentage. I know goalies that are 4th on their teams prospect chart that would have blown his stats out of the water if they were in goal for him!

would be blowing a game (against a terrible team) out of proportion. My mistake.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
DynamoAO said:
Oh...my mistake...I thought saying....
would be blowing a game (against a terrible team) out of proportion. My mistake.
No, that is called sarcasm. And yes, it was directed at all those who claim MAF is not good, and act like any #4 prospect on said team could blow him out of the water. I was bloviating upon the perception that they expect him to do the impossible (IE have a negative GAA or a Sv% above 1.00). Maybe you need to grasp the delicate intricasies of sarcasm before branding me a homer.

IkeaMonkey*

craig1 said:
No, that is called sarcasm. And yes, it was directed at all those who claim MAF is not good, and act like any #4 prospect on said team could blow him out of the water. I was bloviating upon the perception that they expect him to do the impossible (IE have a negative GAA or a Sv% above 1.00). Maybe you need to grasp the delicate intricasies of sarcasm before branding me a homer.

You blew a meaningless game out of proportion, in order to pimp your player...come on, get it.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
DynamoAO said:

I hate Pittsburgh as much as the next Caps fan, but the pens posters on this forum are pretty objective, and as a group very polite and insightful. At least they don't have a borro in their ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad