Why was Marc-Andre Fleury selected 1st overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Reilly311 said:
And what exactly has Ward done in the NHL? Your reasoning for why Carolina wouldn't take Fleury is somewhat strange. (unless that's not what you're talking about).

I'm not saying the 'Canes would not take Fleury but they did just draft Ward the year before and gave them no reason to draft another guy to be their goalie of the future but you have to go with the BPA strategy and Fleury is the type of goaltender you go for if you have a shot at him.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
pavel datsyuk said:
Fleury reminds me of Grant Fuhr. He's the kind of goalie that can win games for you, but isn't the most consistant goalie.
He reminds me of a young Felix Potvin that doesn't stand on the crease. That is a good thing BTW.

bruins4777*

pavel datsyuk said:
Fleury reminds me of Grant Fuhr. He's the kind of goalie that can win games for you, but isn't the most consistant goalie.

...wins big games?
AHL playoffs, WJC 2004 anybody?

I don't think he's like grant fuhr at all. Jason has it down for the potvin comparison, but i think he'll turn out MUCH better than potvin.

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
...wins big games?
AHL playoffs, WJC 2004 anybody?

I don't think he's like grant fuhr at all. Jason has it down for the potvin comparison, but i think he'll turn out MUCH better than potvin.

AHL Playoffs ??

Fleury only came on for 1 game, when Chiodo was pulled. WJC, yes he blew one game, well atleast let in one bad goal.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
Zoo said:
AHL Playoffs ??

Fleury only came on for 1 game, when Chiodo was pulled. WJC, yes he blew one game, well atleast let in one bad goal.

And a year before Fleury was a hero in the WJCs.

Two things to know about people in general:
They are enamored with any story where someone goes from gutter to glory... and...
They love to watch when someone on high fails or struggles.

Its human nature.

Hey, isn't that Michael Jackson trial starting soon? :)

Spooner

Feb 26, 2004
Oh, here and there
I still remember watching Marc-Andre Fleury's first game in the NHL against the Kings, when a King player was awarded a penalty shot, and Fleury just poked it away.

That was pretty awesome.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
WM said:
I have been wondering this for quite some time now and have not come up with any reasons why?

anyone else

Because he has the potential to be one of the greatest goalies ever?

Don't you remember his few couple of months in the NHL? He was magnificent. He'll be a good one.

bruins4777*

Spooner said:
I still remember watching Marc-Andre Fleury's first game in the NHL against the Kings, when a King player was awarded a penalty shot, and Fleury just poked it away.

That was pretty awesome.

I remeber the first shot when he missed a pokecheck:joker:

AHL Playoffs ??

Err...it went caron got the first game, he blew it. Fleury got the 2nd game, he blew it. Chiodo came in and dominated and stole 3 series to take them to the finals, beforing being vastly outplayed.

As for the WJC, he was far from spectacular and he let in more than ONE bad goal.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
bruins4777 said:
9 games later he was allowing 6 goals on 40 shots.
you know guys like brodeur or khabibulin didn't light the world on fire right away right? if you watch him play instead of just going by his stats as an 18 year old you would see he has an immeasurable amount of talent.

bruins4777*

Dark Metamorphosis said:
you know guys like brodeur or khabibulin didn't light the world on fire right away right? if you watch him play instead of just going by his stats as an 18 year old you would see he has an immeasurable amount of talent.

Point out to me when i disputed his talent??? Thank you.

Talent isn't everything, he has lots of issues to resolve namely poise and techincal problems, i personally think he can overcome them. I think HF underrated him with a 8.5 B, i don't like fleury much, but i know he 's a great prospect, he's 3rd on my top goalies list.

And actually...well brodeur won the calder...i don't think khabibulin is all that good personally, highly overrated. Good goalie, but not nearly as good as people make him seem.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
bruins4777 said:
I remeber the first shot when he missed a pokecheck.
Obviously not very well. There was no attempted pokecheck. I don't even know why you would bring that up unless you have something against Fleury (and obviously, you do).

Brodeur won the Calder at age 22. Fleury, last season, was 19.

It's pretty easy to spot technical flaws in a goalie when he's a teenager on the worst team in the best league in the world. Toivonen, Ouellet, etc. may have these flaws but we simply do not know, they have not been exposed to that level of competition at such a young age.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
9 games later he was allowing 6 goals on 40 shots.
Bust.

By the way, Fleury was beaten top shelf by Belanger, there was no poke check.

EDIT: Didn't see Jacob's post.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Fleury will be a really really good starter. You can't go wrong with that kind of skill... With a goalie these things can take a very long time... I however doubt it will take as much as 10 seasons for him to be a top-5 goalie in the NHL. But I wouldn't be surprised if it took like 5 seasons or so.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So does WM now understand? He seems to have deserted his own thread.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This thread is perhaps one of the stupidest I have seen . . . here is an easy way to settle this that I use in my practice. I sometimes have to ask people, 'what is your house worth . . . or what is your business worth, or this asset or that asset worth.' They often give me a :dunno: . Then I ask them, if I offered you $1 million would you take it? They answer 'yes.' Then I ask them $100? They answer 'no.' Inevitably within a minute I have their real view as to the value of the asset, within pretty close to $100.

So with that in mind . . . how many of you would give a first round pick for Fleury next year? Anyone who would not? Now how many would give the first pick in the draft for Maffy, ie, Crosby? The true value is between the two, and you all know pretty well where it lies. Pretty much where it was when he was drafted. If you had a top five pick that was not one, or two, perhaps but not likely three, most here would trade it for Maffy I would think. That is his value.

ps, 3,200+ hits and climbing on this thread. As the old saying goes, the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. Maffy certainly is of interest to many, if some of you really believed him to be so worthless, why waste so much time trying to prove it? I think that some protest a bit too much.

Last edited:

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Jaded-Fan said:
This thread is perhaps one of the stupidest I have seen . . . here is an easy way to settle this that I use in my practice. I sometimes have to ask people, 'what is your house worth . . . or what is your business worth, or this asset or that asset worth.' They often give me a :dunno: . Then I ask them, if I offered you $1 million would you take it? They answer 'yes.' Then I ask them $100? They answer 'no.' Inevitably within a minute I have their real view as to the value of the asset, within pretty close to $100.

So with that in mind . . . how many of you would give a first round pick for Fleury next year? Anyone who would not? Now how many would give the first pick in the draft for Maffy, ie, Crosby? The true value is between the two, and you all know pretty well where it lies. Pretty much where it was when he was drafted. If you had a top five pick that was not one, or two, perhaps but not likely three, most here would trade it for Maffy I would think. That is his value.

ps, 3,200+ hits and climbing on this thread. As the old saying goes, the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. Maffy certainly is of interest to many, if some of you really believed him to be so worthless, why waste so much time trying to prove it? I think that some protest a bit too much.

I think MAF's best quality is his personality. Its rare to see someone so friendly and funny also be such a dedicated, hardened professional at his age.

Hockeyheart

Dec 15, 2004
Fluery's Overated

At least he is now, based his numbers and many other facts!He can't win the big game, he is very wild in his net, he lets week goals in because he overeacts to the first shot! No one with any brains would call him the next Martin Brodeur. Just because he makes increadible saves that look amazing people think he is better than he is. When you make huge saves often, your team is either week defensivly or you have to try to hard to make the save. A GOOD goalie makes saves look easy. I'm not saying that he doesn't have a ton of potential, he just has alot to work on!! A list of guys drafted behind him>> Dion phaneuf>Eric Stall>Jeff Carter>ETC.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hockeyheart said:
At least he is now, based his numbers and many other facts!He can't win the big game, he is very wild in his net, he lets week goals in because he overeacts to the first shot! No one with any brains would call him the next Martin Brodeur. Just because he makes increadible saves that look amazing people think he is better than he is. When you make huge saves often, your team is either week defensivly or you have to try to hard to make the save. A GOOD goalie makes saves look easy. I'm not saying that he doesn't have a ton of potential, he just has alot to work on!! A list of guys drafted behind him>> Dion phaneuf>Eric Stall>Jeff Carter>ETC.

Facts, eh?

*sigh* This is getting old.

Marc-Andre Fleury is going to make a lot of people look very foolish. Should it happen that Fleury turns into a spectacular goalie, and he has all the tools to do so, there are going to be so many people making the claim "I was high on him all along while the rest of you weren't!" Honestly, I can just see it.

Considering how much he's trashed here, I fail to see how he's overrated.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
Fleury has been struggling mightily the last couple of months in the AHL. His save percentage is down to around .900. He is getting worse as the season progresses, not better. Dany Sabourin is clearly outplaying him right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->