Why was Marc-Andre Fleury selected 1st overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
Pittsburgh really needed a goalie.. I don't think Fleury will be better than Lehtonen, but still, he'll be a great one.

Pittsburgh had lots of prospects at every position, except goalie.

But I don't think Fleury is better than Stall, Horton, Zherdev... but anyway, how can we compare players with goalies...

he deserved to be in the top 4...

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
WM said:
I have been wondering this for quite some time now and have not come up with any reasons why?

You seriously cannot come up with one reason why Fleury went 1st overall?

I think Reilly311 covered it pretty well. :joker:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
WM said:
I have been wondering this for quite some time now and have not come up with any reasons why?

anyone else

On draft day, the Pittsburgh Penguins management decided he was the best draft eligible player in the world so they selected him.

He had an amazing year when he was 17, dominated the World Juniors and the QMJHL. He was an NHL ready goaltender at 18 years old and is still a tremendous prospect.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
playing for the penguins last year knocked him down a peg i think, but i definatly think he will overcome and mature into a superb and world class goalie.

i just remember his last nhl game last season he looked awful. totally different player from the MA Fleury we saw at the beginning of the year.. Naslund made him look silly.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
His last NHL game was against Tampa Bay, he was pretty good.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
He is a franchise goalie. A rebuilding team like the Penguins have someone to build around and now they have Malkin and maybe Crosby or Brule...so I think their happy with the 2003 draft.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
He was selected 1st overall because Pittsburgh needed a goalie and he was the best one available and with his speed and agility this guy could win lots of hardware if the Pens defence get a little more solid.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
AgentNaslund said:
Cause hes the best goalie since Martin Brodeaur
Wrong....he could be the best goaltender since Martin Brodeur. Lehtonen is currently better then Fleury by a good margin. That could change but it isn't at the moment.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Jason MacIsaac said:
Wrong....he could be the best goaltender since Martin Brodeur. Lehtonen is currently better then Fleury by a good margin. That could change but it isn't at the moment.

Plus I'd say the best goalie since Broduer...is Luongo....they are trying to be the best goaltender since Luongo.

Reilly311

Jason MacIsaac said:

as he should be. He's older.

Reilly311

Jason MacIsaac said:
OK......Lehtonen was the better goaltender at the age of 20 and is currently on a better deveopment track. That explains myself better.

Fleurys rookie stats are similar to Lehtonen's rookie stats in the AHL. Lehtonen also wasn't thrown to the wolves. (no pun intended). Lehtonen also wouldn't have been able to beat the Red Wings when he was 18 either.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Reilly311 said:
Fleurys rookie stats are similar to Lehtonen's rookie stats in the AHL. Lehtonen also wasn't thrown to the wolves. (no pun intended). Lehtonen also wouldn't have been able to beat the Red Wings when he was 18 either.
Fleury's rookie stats:
2.66 GAA .902 SV% 15 wins 9 losses 3 ties

Lehtonen's rookie stats:
2.41 GAA .927 SV% 20 wins, 14 losses, 2 ties

I would have to say Lehtonen's stats are much better then Fleury's. The SV% puts him leagues ahead of Fleury.

Reilly311

Jason MacIsaac said:
Fleury's rookie stats:
2.66 GAA .902 SV% 15 wins 9 losses 3 ties

Lehtonen's rookie stats:
2.41 GAA .927 SV% 20 wins, 14 losses, 2 ties

I would have to say Lehtonen's stats are much better then Fleury's. The SV% puts him leagues ahead of Fleury.

lolz the season isn't even over yet.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Are you wondering why Fleury went so high or are you wondering why he went first overall?

He went so high because he was a phenomenal goalie. The others covered all the bases very well.

He went first overall because there wasn't an game-breaking prospect that took their breath away. Horton, Staal and Zherdev might become dominant players down the road, but this wasn't a year where there's a Kovalchuk, Nash or Bouwmeester oozing with elite-level talents. Horton, Fleury, Staal and Zherdev were all pretty tied when draft day came about and Pittsburgh chose the player they thought whom would benefit the franchise the most - a star goalie.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
WM said:

He was seen by many as having as much upside as any prospect goalie ever. He was also seen as one if not the player with the most upside in this draft (which was deep but a bit lackluster in top end). And Pittsburgh could use a goalie.

I can't say I was surprised, although I disagree with the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->