Why was Curt Keilback fired?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Winnipegger coming in peace. When a team returned to Winnipeg I was super disspppointed that old Jets radio plya by play man Curt Keilback wasn't hired to do the calls since he lives in Winnipeg again. Anyway, he's my all time favourite play by play guy and I was wondering if any of you know why he was let go from calling games down in Phoenix after ten years with the Coyotes? He was also fired from the radio station in Winnipeg a few seasons before the Jets relocated down there so maybe he has issues getting along with management or something? Just hoping anyone can shed some light on it. Thanks.

SuperDave21

Hockey Paradise
Jul 30, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
I, for one, didn't like him. I'm in the minority, I know, but I couldn't stand the guy. He got excited when the puck was lofted in the stands, or when they went to commercial. He annoyed me to no end.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Gretzky came in and wanted his own guy (Strader). Keilback was viewed to be too identified with the previous ownership and losing ways of the Jets franchise. New voice for what was supposed to be a new and better product in a new arena.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I really liked him.

I heard a rumor CK showed up drunk to call a game on his birthday.....and was fired...but never heard anything after that. I think they fired him right after the press box was named after him.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Curt Kielback was my favorite . I was stoked when he followed the team to Phoenix . He kind of reminds me of Peter Maher .Kind of made the game more exciting to me . Tho at the end Curt was starting to get names mixed up etc..

I really liked the Panger and Strader dual . I think Pang had alot to do with bringing Strader in .

Anyhoo I am suprised CB isn't the voice of the Jets ..

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Panger's inside info was fantastic. I feel like Tyson is learning to share a little more and more. As soon as he starts using his great relationship with players for good TV he will be as good as he wants to be. Matt Mconnell is just fine. I firmly believe Strader is the best in the business. However MC is basically just as good when the play is actually going. These days I just fast forward if the play isn't on. The stuff between the whistles means very little to me. As such I am PERFECTLY CONTENT with the current duo. They are just fine.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I think Nash has improved leaps and bound over least year.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Panger was a Gretzky apologist. Or kiss - ass. One or the other, maybe both.

I liked Panger but not every opinion he spoke. I respected Gretzky as a player, but I don't know him personally to know him, and didn't like him as a coach of the Coyotes. My mother could apologize for Gretzky too - I still like her even if I don't share her opinion of TGO*

TGO* = The Great One*

* the hockey PLAYER, not to be confused with the mediocre coach of same name that used to coach an NHL team.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I really liked Pang when he started but he has one line "Holy Jumpin" and he seems to use it 20+ times a night. It gets annoying very quick.

Nash has improved leaps and bounds. Some of his lines make me bust a gut. "An old fashioned punch him in the face contest" is gold and some of the inside shots he takes at other players are priceless. He's more subtle than Pang and may have less insider info but Nash is entertaining for me.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
I loved Dave Strader and I think it's ridiculous that Doc Emrick is the go-to guy over him for national broadcasts. With that said, I think Nash and McConnel actually have better chemistry. Strader and Nash seemed to get along just fine, but DS was a little more straight-laced, which Tyson Nash will never be.

We've all talked about Todd Walsh to death, I just wish he was less awkward and didn't ask questions with implied or obvious answers in interviews. He obviously cares a lot about Arizona hockey and is very passionate about his work, so I guess there's a ventricle in my heart for Todd Walsh.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I really liked Pang when he started but he has one line "Holy Jumpin" and he seems to use it 20+ times a night. It gets annoying very quick.

Nash has improved leaps and bounds.

Nash has grown on me, too; he does have his two lines, though - "are you kidding me?" (mentioned above) and "unbelievable!"

Would make for a good drinking game...

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Nash has grown on me, too; he does have his two lines, though - "are you kidding me?" (mentioned above) and "unbelievable!"

Would make for a good drinking game...

You also forgot "that is ridiculous!"

He uses these 3 phrases often, but Nash is growing on me too...and the pairing of Mac and Nash are a better pairing than Strades and Nash, much better chemistry for sure

That said, Strader is my absolute favorite, Panger was all right.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
C.B (shoots one over top) annoyed me to no end.

D.P. (holy jump'n) while knowledgeable also annoyed me.... probably good for many, but constantly telling me where the play "all started" was not only redundant, but very irritating.

D.S. excellent.

M.M. unassuming and fun, I like him.

T.N. gotta admit, mostly like the guy... he can irritate, but it's not very frequent these days.

Having said all that, I may have a disdain for 'em all... if I wasn't an sth and had to listen to 'em every game.

Oh, and T.W.? Biggest moron duphus dork around the game.... BAR NONE! Ever notice the idiotic "mystery" music prior to his segment of the radio broadcasts prior to the games?

Scottrocks58*

"I bet [fill in the blank] would like to have THAT one back."

" [fill in the blank] isn't going to like THAT one."

Scottrocks58*

Matt McConnell makes a lot of unforced errors. He gets names wrong, plays and penalties wrong, etc. He seems like a real nice guy, but he has to tighten up a bit.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Matt McConnell makes a lot of unforced errors. He gets names wrong, plays and penalties wrong, etc. He seems like a real nice guy, but he has to tighten up a bit.

He suffers the same curse as Gary Bettman. He should do audio only. Seeing him on screen while he's talking is uncomfortable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->