Why was Cheevers not in Game 7 in '79?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Just out of curiousity, why wasnt Gerry Cheevers in net for the Habs/Bruins Game 7 in 1979. It was Gilles Gilbert. Not saying that Gilbert blew it, in fact he was definetly better than Dryden on that night since Dryden let in a couple soft ones. Not to mention Gilbert made a great save on a deflected shot as well in OT. But both of them split duties that spring for the Bruins in net yet Gilbert got Game 7. Sure Cheevers was 38 at the time, but would it have been a difference if he was in there? I dont remember why he wasnt.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Cheevers did not have a very good season that year with one of the worst save %`s in the league coupled with the disaster against Russia in the Challenge Cup 3 months earlier.

Don Cherry did not get along with Gilles Gilbert (there were rumours Gilbert wanted to be traded because of it) but Cherry had a hunch that the French-Canadian Gilbert played his best in the Forum.

None of the blame for Boston`s loss could be aimed at Gilbert. He was their MVP in that game.

chooch*

reckoning said:
Cheevers did not have a very good season that year with one of the worst save %`s in the league coupled with the disaster against Russia in the Challenge Cup 3 months earlier.

Don Cherry did not get along with Gilles Gilbert (there were rumours Gilbert wanted to be traded because of it) but Cherry had a hunch that the French-Canadian Gilbert played his best in the Forum.

None of the blame for Boston`s loss could be aimed at Gilbert. He was their MVP in that game.

The Bruins have never had a top notch goalie - had they kept Dryden or traded for Espo who knows what they would have done from 69-79. Sindens an idiot (but good businessman).

Playing Cheesers in G3 of the Challenge Cup was Bowmans mistake (being that he was convinced by Sinden).

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
chooch said:
The Bruins have never had a top notch goalie.

Frank Brimsek was definitely a top-notch goalie.

Tiny Thompson was definitely a top-notch goalie.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I seem to recall that Cheevers played in that series and through a Google search this story, written by Frank Orr, supports that:

"While Boston extended Montreal to the absolute limit with a solid team effort, the work of Bruins goalie Gilles Gilbert was pivotal. Gilbert had replaced veteran Gerry Cheevers early in the series and excelled. At times, Game 7 seemed to be a two-man battle, Lafleur vs. Gilbert. The Canadiens threw 52 shots at Gilbert, while the Bruins managed only 32 on Ken Dryden."

http://www.njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16033

That series was one where the home team won all seven games.

Rather Gingerly 1*

I can remember Cheevers starting Game 1 and Possibly Game 2 in Montreal. Didn't Gilbert start in Boston and play much better?

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
chooch said:
Playing Cheesers in G3 of the Challenge Cup was Bowmans mistake (being that he was convinced by Sinden).

Cheevers or Dryden, doesn´t matter; the Soviets would have still won the game. It´s not Cheevers´ fault that the Soviets not only scored all the goals but had all the best scoring chances also. And he played well and made some great saves for the first two periods. But I guess they had to blame somebody (and overpraise Myshkin at the same time :) )

Rather Gingerly 1*

Marcus-74 said:
Cheevers or Dryden, doesn´t matter; the Soviets would have still won the game. It´s not Cheevers´ fault that the Soviets not only scored all the goals but had all the best scoring chances also. And he played well and made some great saves for the first two periods. But I guess they had to blame somebody (and overpraise Myshkin at the same time :) )

I can remember Cheevers was brutal in that game. But you are right doesn't really matter if we lose 6-0 or 2-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->