News Article: Why the time has come for the Leafs to name a captain

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I got my info from Hot Stove via Pirelli, where did you get yours?

from reality.

I don't think Duschene played for Colorado last year.

He didn't, but he did the year prior.

According to Pirrelli Jost was Kerfoot's center last year, he did note that Kerfoot took a lot of faceoffs but that alone doesn't make him a center, Nylander took a lot of faceoffs when he was AM's RW.

It's not that Kerfoot took a lot of faceoffs, but that Jost took virtually none, because he's not a center. The only time he's spent any real nhl time at center is when he was centering the 4th line in the playoffs.

The guy that split faceoffs and center duty with kerfoot a bit was Compher.

Two years ago Gardiner had 52 points, Barrie 57, Barrie's impressive offensive stats come from the PP and mostly offensive zone starts.

past 5yrs, even strength:

Points Per 60min

1.Karlsson 1.46
2.Burns 1.44
3.Hedman 1.30
4.Klinberg 1.27
5.Hamilton 1.25
6.Carlson 1.24
7.Josi 1.21
8.Giordano 1.19
9.Barrie 1.13
10.Letang 1.13
30.Gardiner 0.95

Primary Points Per 60min

1.Burns 1.08
2.Karlsson 0.94
3.Hedman 0.89
4.Barrie 0.87
5.Carlson 0.87
6.Josi 0.87
33. Gardiner 0.60

Colorado's defensive zone d-men were Girard and Johnson.

and the Leafs defensive zone d-men were rielly and hainsey.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Are you assuming that points make a good d-man?

Gardiner is bigger, more physical, nearly as prolific offensively and better defensively, that's going to be the new reality.

Does your reality actually involve actually watching Colorado?

Based on the McKinnon, Duchese and Soderberg 3 centers Colorado had 2 years ago where did Kerfoot play center, 4th line?

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Not sure Captain matters anymore. Only reason I see is to inspire AW, if it might have some affect for that, do it.

Big Meh from me

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Rielly handles the media really well.
Babcock made a comment last year that "no one likes being a Leaf more than Morgan".
He's signed long-term and didn't try to bend the team over backwards in negotiations.
He's shown a willingness to be coached and adjust his role/game.
He's by all accounts one of the more popular guys in the dressing room.
He's already had an A for years.
He's the longest serving Leaf.

Rielly signed a contract that actually was based more on his potential than on his accomplishments up to the time he signed. Babs was still force feeding him defensive assignments and playing him with Hainsey to get him to become decent defensively, at that time. He didn't try to bend the team backwards because he wasn't in a position to do so.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Are you assuming that points make a good d-man?

I corrected your false statements about their offense. Barrie is one of the elite even strength offensive dmen in hockey, jake is not.

Based on the McKinnon, Duchese and Soderberg 3 centers Colorado had 2 years ago where did Kerfoot play center, 4th line?

Duchene was traded a month into the season and Kerfoot was the #2C most of the rest of the way.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A captain defines a leader, and one that others follow into battle, and look up to and take direction from, and without a true leader you have a rudderless ship.

That is not true just in hockey but all facets of life, where a group of people need a person in charge and defined role to set the path and course of action.

The reason Leafs found success in the past is because players like Dougie Gilmour and Mats Sundin wore the "C" and everybody else followed their lead, respected them.

If the Leafs today want to achieve success they also need to have a leader arise and one that others will follow and that will be the one named the captain.

Captaincy isn't just something that is given its earned by actions.

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
A captain defines a leader, and one that others follow into battle, and look up to and take direction from, and without a true leader you have a rudderless ship.

That is not true just in hockey but all facets of life, where a group of people need a person in charge and defined role to set the path and course of action.

The reason Leafs found success in the past is because players like Dougie Gilmour and Mats Sundin wore the "C" and everybody else followed their lead, respected them.

If the Leafs today want to achieve success they also need to have a leader arise and one that others will follow and that will be the one named the captain.

Lol, what a load of nonsense.

What success did Gilmour/Sundin find exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I think JT and Rielly are the best candidates for Captain but I think Matthews will be the most disappointed if he doesn’t get it.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I think JT and Rielly are the best candidates for Captain but I think Matthews will be the most disappointed if he doesn’t get it.
Matthews can be captain when he re-signs with the leafs for 8 years on a cap friendly contract after his 5 years are up
I'm giving it to Tavares if I had to pick. Morgan would be good choice too.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Matthews can be captain when he re-signs with the leafs for 8 years on a cap friendly contract after his 5 years are up
I’d go Tavares too - well respected and great with the media
Having said that AM would be a great choice too

Reactions: yubbers

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015

With Gilmour, the Leafs made the Conference finals twice and we all know who should have been in the finals in 93. With Sundin, the Leafs made the playoffs 6 straight seasons, whipped the Sens butt in 4 of those and reached the Conference finals twice.

Is that good enough reason to have a well respected Captain. Tavares all the way, should be a no brainer.

Reactions: Tmart335

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

What HF board rule did my post violate that you felt the need to edit it?
Thanks.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I'd give Matthews the extra $600,000 over Tavares any day of the week. Tavares's contract takes him to his mid 30's, i'm sure we would have preferred to give him a 5 year deal. Rielly did not have nearly the resume Auston did when he signed. If Dubas and Co. didn't think Matthews contract was fair, they'd still be negotiating

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
<people in media with no allegiance to the Leafs saying the Leafs need to name a captain soon>

insert <"it's a trap"> meme here

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

They won numerous playoff rounds. It's been 15 years since we have done that. So plenty. If you don't understand why any successful business has a CEO.... Or why any military has a commander.... I don't know what to tell you. Thinking a leader isn't necessary is the load of nonsense

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I'd give Matthews the extra $600,000 over Tavares any day of the week. Tavares's contract takes him to his mid 30's, i'm sure we would have preferred to give him a 5 year deal. Rielly did not have nearly the resume Auston did when he signed. If Dubas and Co. didn't think Matthews contract was fair, they'd still be negotiating
Matthews appears to have an issue playing a full season. He won't age well imho

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Just like Crosby and Bergeron.

Crosby missed 33 games his first 3 seasons
Bergeron missed 17
Matthews had missed 36

Too early to really say of course but he's winning the missed games battle with your comparable. Both your comparables also play like a pit bulls. Matthews is a powder puff in comparison. His shoulder will be an issue moving forward me thinks.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Crosby missed 33 games his first 3 seasons
Bergeron missed 17
Matthews had missed 36

Too early to really say of course but he's winning the missed games battle with your comparable. Both your comparables also play like a pit bulls. Matthews is a powder puff in comparison. His shoulder will be an issue moving forward me thinks.
Matthews was most def. a pitbull in his rookie season. Part way through year 2 he just stopped giving a f*** for whatever reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->