Why The Nylander Contract is a Very Good Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Don't agree. Nashville seems to get players to buy into winning and taking "Nashville" dollars.

You need a veteran GM to pull this off however and to be fair Dubas tried to sell "We before Me" discounts but an inexperienced GM doesn't have the clout to pull it off with veteran experienced player agents.

Nylander's agent Lewis Gross took Dubas behind the woodshed;), and I expect both Marner and Matthews agents are going to exploit a young GM and leverage that to their next contracts.

I was hoping Lou Lam would be the one signing the 3 Amigo's to contracts first and then turning the reigns over to Dubas thereafter.

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
You need a veteran GM to pull this off however and to be fair Dubas tried to sell "We before Me" discounts but an inexperienced GM doesn't have the clout to pull it off with veteran experienced player agents.

Nylander's agent Lewis Gross took Dubas behind the woodshed;), and I expect both Marner and Matthews agents are going to exploit a young GM and leverage that to their next contracts.

I was hoping Lou Lam would be the one signing the 3 Amigo's to contracts first and then turning the reigns over to Dubas thereafter.

Father says Lou would have traded Nylander for someone bad so the Leafs would be further behind right now. Father says the "X" factor here is Shanahan who has the clout to lean on the agents and back Dubas 100% The Nylander deal is very good father says, and we'll see the fruits of the contracts down the stretch and into the playoffs. Dubas will get Matthews and Marner signed to team friendly deals and we'll all find something else to worry about this summer after the parade.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
You need a veteran GM to pull this off however and to be fair Dubas tried to sell "We before Me" discounts but an inexperienced GM doesn't have the clout to pull it off with veteran experienced playe agents.

This reeks of ageism.

The suggestion that the Nylander deal would have been more Leafs-friendly under Lamoriello instead of Dubas is based on what, exactly? Signing Kadri and Rielly to their bargain deals when the former's value was at a low-point and the latter had yet to break out? Here's the thing: Nylander had already broken out before the end of his ELC, as have Marner and Matthews. There's no questions of what they will become. It makes bringing their prices down more difficult.

Had Dubas offered this contract before the season started we'd be looking at a $7.5m cap hit for the next 6 years. Now it's $10M+ in a year where we have the cap space to swallow it and sub-$7M in the subsequent years. And somehow that means Dubas was taken to the woodshed, when initial reports were that Nylander wanted Draisaitl-atmosphere money?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Nashville is also a no tax team...

For a GM to impress me, pull this off in Toronto or Montreal.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
when it was announced that he was Leaving Tampa, I assumed he'd be taking over for Holland in Detroit. If Dubas can't get it done (and I'm not suggesting this), then Stevie Y would be a excellent plan B.

There is no "magic" to a GM who can sign low end deals within a tax free market when the team is currently competitive..

lol.

In this sense, Steve is unproven still as he has yet to do the same thing in a market where the tax is near 50 percent.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
There is nothing wrong with switching Kadri/Nylander or even giving players like Kapanen chances during an 82 game season.
Especially in the case of Nylander being committed to as part of the core money wise, you need to share the wealth.
Besides if guys get injured in the playoffs it would be nice to know everything about your players.

The coach shouldn’t talk about players being a big part and then making them an afterthought. Or coming out with specific comments against.
not so sure about the Kadri/Nylander swap, Naz takes a bit of a beating in that position, something tells me Willie would be drifting out to the blueline to avoid the crosschecks

Reactions: Polaris1010

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

impossible to argue that Dubas didn't get schooled by team Nylander, it certainly exposed a chink in his armor. If Dubas was going to get duped I would have hoped it was for the likes of Mathews/Marner not Willy f***ing Nylander.

Reactions: Faltorvo and socko

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

Lol. I’ll give you credit. Once you make your mind up regardless whether it’s ridiculous, you stick with it. Luckily we have management in the leafs that are not stubborn and old school.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Y’all realize Lou had a whole year to sign Nylander and didn’t?

Almost as if simply saying “Lou would have done it better” doesn’t hold up to scrutiny
So will you say that when Marner doesn't sign this year?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So will you say that when Marner doesn't sign this year?

I’m not necessarily blaming Lou, because A negotiation is ultimately a two way street. Lou was unable to force Nylander into a cheaper contract when he was GM - because he had no way to force a player to sign a deal. At the same time I’m skeptical that Lou would have necessarily gotten to any more of a team friendly deal if he had been Gm during the fall negotiations - but there’s no way to prove this one way or the other.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
so you think Shanahan should hire puppet GMs while he's really in control? I don't think that was his intention.

Presidents and CEO’s aren’t in control of the organizations they run?

He hires people to implement his vision.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Father says Lou would have traded Nylander for someone bad so the Leafs would be further behind right now. Father says the "X" factor here is Shanahan who has the clout to lean on the agents and back Dubas 100% The Nylander deal is very good father says, and we'll see the fruits of the contracts down the stretch and into the playoffs. Dubas will get Matthews and Marner signed to team friendly deals and we'll all find something else to worry about this summer after the parade.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:
Father is wrong.
Shanny attempted to lean on the agents and players and failed miserably as he has never been a GM.
Lou would have been different. Lou would not have traded Nylander but he would have told him what he was going to pay him and not a penny more early and said take it or leave it. Nylander and his agent would have signed earlier for less money.

Mathews is going to get more then McDavid and Marner close to 11m a year if Mathews signs for 13 plus.

Nylander bent Dubas over and got 7.5 m a year in real money and his comparable was at 6m per for one more year. It was not a good deal at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad