Why The Nylander Contract is a Very Good Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Think I’d want my 7 million dollar player on the 1st PP, 3 on 3, last minute of the game etc. If not, I’d rather someone who is.

this is flawed logic. By that JT and Matthews and then Marner will have to be the forwards in the last min because they will be paid higher so therefore the $7M player cant be on in the last min.

1st PP marner is better and again will be paid more so therefore the $7M is on unit 2, marner and nylander play the same pp role

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
this is flawed logic. By that JT and Matthews and then Marner will have to be the forwards in the last min because they will be paid higher so therefore the $7M player cant be on in the last min.

1st PP marner is better and again will be paid more so therefore the $7M is on unit 2, marner and nylander play the same pp role
Seems like lots of forward options taking precedence.Would be nice to have the D options as well.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I have to believe than Shanny knows his old teammate Stevie Y is unemployed.

Stevie Y - fantastic contracts, yes helped out by Tampa taxes, but still great work
Dubas - awful overpay contract.

Think it over Brendan.

Reactions: Al14

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Think I’d want my 7 million dollar player on the 1st PP, 3 on 3, last minute of the game etc. If not, I’d rather someone who is.
You can't pick and choose what players you want, and what qualities they have. Malkin is never out there in the last minute of the game either. Not every highly paid player needs to be.

Nylander should be on the PP1 though. It's a waste not to use him there. However, he's worked his magic from the same spot that Marner has and Marner is better.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You can't pick and choose what players you want, and what qualities they have. Malkin is never out there in the last minute of the game either. Not every highly paid player needs to be.

Nylander should be on the PP1 though. It's a waste not to use him there. However, he's worked his magic from the same spot that Marner has and Marner is better.
There is nothing wrong with switching Kadri/Nylander or even giving players like Kapanen chances during an 82 game season.
Especially in the case of Nylander being committed to as part of the core money wise, you need to share the wealth.
Besides if guys get injured in the playoffs it would be nice to know everything about your players.

The coach shouldn’t talk about players being a big part and then making them an afterthought. Or coming out with specific comments against.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

So true, when was the last time we see Ovie in the last minute of the game?

I just think some here have a hate toward Willie and his contract/holdout is making it worse.

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
My father thinks that Marner will eventually sign a team friendly deal because he's a Toronto kid and has only ever wanted to play for the Leafs. As long as the offer isn't insulting he'll sign and the Leafs will be set! I can hardly wait!!!!

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I think he hires the GM and then he lets him do his thing. I'm sure he has opinions but Dubas gets to make the calls. Until he gets fired anyway.

So there’s no Shanaplan ?

Just a Lamoplan and a Dubaplan? We make it up as we go?

That’s comforting

And naive

Reactions: Walshy7

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I have to believe than Shanny knows his old teammate Stevie Y is unemployed.

Stevie Y - fantastic contracts, yes helped out by Tampa taxes, but still great work
Dubas - awful overpay contract.

Think it over Brendan.
when it was announced that he was Leaving Tampa, I assumed he'd be taking over for Holland in Detroit. If Dubas can't get it done (and I'm not suggesting this), then Stevie Y would be a excellent plan B.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The "Bump" position ala Kadri is not where Nylander can/will excel on the PP. He's better off staying on PP2 where he can play the right half wall where he belongs. He will put up more points playing that position on PP2 than being the bump guy on PP1.

Reactions: RLF and therealkoho

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The "Bump" position ala Kadri is not where Nylander can/will excel on the PP. He's better off staying on PP2 where he can play the right half wall where he belongs. He will put up more points playing that position on PP2 than being the bump guy on PP1.

what the pp2 needs is another top forward on it, id say Kadri down to pp2 and marleau up to pp1 for the bump role. This should help Kadri up his scoring and Marleau can handle the bump role which is really just a warm body the way our top unit works kadri barely touches the puck

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
There is nothing wrong with switching Kadri/Nylander or even giving players like Kapanen chances during an 82 game season.
Especially in the case of Nylander being committed to as part of the core money wise, you need to share the wealth.
Besides if guys get injured in the playoffs it would be nice to know everything about your players.

The coach shouldn’t talk about players being a big part and then making them an afterthought. Or coming out with specific comments against.

Disagree.

I'd rather have Nylander as the QB of the second unit than have him in Kadri's spot as the 3rd scoring option, even it means he gets less PP time.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
My father thinks that Marner will eventually sign a team friendly deal because he's a Toronto kid and has only ever wanted to play for the Leafs. As long as the offer isn't insulting he'll sign and the Leafs will be set! I can hardly wait!!!!

Please tell me your father is Darren Ferris.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
80 point players will not get 7 million. They'll get much more than that.
Ironic because I have to hear how Matthews and Marner ill set records with their stats.

Yep.

JVR is a career 60 point player and he just got 7 million.

Some people have a very outdated understanding of player vale it seems

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Between Oct 11 and Nov 1st, JT had a stretch of 1 goal in 8 games but like I said he's been on a tear since then, he's exceed my expectations.

I think all you posted is fair, we should expect Willie to hit the ground running, we should expect him to score more than 3 points in 14 games. For me it has always been is he complimenting his linemates and is he scoring around .6 points per game, he is not but I firmly believe that he will soon.

Marner also has 2 goals in his first 30ish games last season. Cold streaks definitely happen even to amazing young players

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton

You're dreaming! The Marner camp like all camps will squeeze every drop they can. They know how valuable Marner is. There is no loyalty anywhere anymore; neither the employer or employee.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Strategy is clear in the Marner camp. See what Matthews signs for and then they set their asking price.

Paul Marner. *smug face emoji*
Leaf strategy should be to put Matthews, Marner, Kappanen, johnsson, gardiner in a room with a money basket. Ask Matthews what he wants, take it out of the basket. Keep going down the list and when Johnsson is left with a sad face beccause there is no money in the basket maybe it'll peer pressure the rest to put more money back in the basket :)

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
You're dreaming! The Marner camp like all camps will squeeze every drop they can. They know how valuable Marner is. There is no loyalty anywhere anymore; neither the employer or employee.

My father says that's a very cynical way of looking at the world and he doesn't subscribe to that. He's studied Marner since he was in junior and thinks he has a good handle on what makes Mitch tick. I trust my father's judgement.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Don't agree. Nashville seems to get players to buy into winning and taking "Nashville" dollars.

Reactions: Faltorvo

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
My father says that's a very cynical way of looking at the world and he doesn't subscribe to that. He's studied Marner since he was in junior and thinks he has a good handle on what makes Mitch tick. I trust my father's judgement.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Does your father have an account here? He should get one if he doesn't.

Seems like he'd be pretty good at inside info. How does he know what makes Mitch Marner tick?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Yep.

JVR is a career 60 point player and he just got 7 million.

Some people have a very outdated understanding of player vale it seems
While others refuse to acknowledge a difference between a UFA and an RFA.

Including, it seems, some GM’s

Reactions: Faltorvo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad