Why The Nylander Contract is a Very Good Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Complimentary player huh? Well You and me had a good idea as to what he is, but what about around the time of the negotiations? So many of our own HF Club said he was worth 7 million because he "capable of being a PPG player". A player like Nylander will probably never be a PPG player especially if he's a complimentary one. No one seems to remember his two seasons of being put on the 4th line. How the heck do you become a PPG player on the 4th line?!

I don't know if anyone is hoping he becomes a checker and guy capable of bone crushing hits. I just question why Dubas spent so much wasted time and salary towards a light complimentary player like Nylander.
It was what it took to get him signed. We can all agree or disagree on what he got. But that's what it is. I give the guy credit for getting the maximum he could have got. The leafs are not short cash so not rummage days for them. And Dubas has to manage the CAP so that's his job not Willy's.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Willie said Kyle told him he would never be traded while he was GM, Kyle then was forced to responsd and said the above. What else could he say? It is what it is, an yes I believe he could still be moved, but I think there is some linguistic juggling for damage control.
damned if you do and damned if you don't

in a nutshell, it's kind of like the game of telephone

Nylander heard what he wanted to hear and said it out loud, the GM neither confirmed nor denied

anyway we're passed that point and it's now up to Nylander to prove he want's to help this team win by playing a more convincing game and not the wishy-washy effort he's so far been producing

Reactions: DarkKnight

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
80 point players will not get 7 million. They'll get much more than that.
Ironic because I have to hear how Matthews and Marner ill set records with their stats.

Reactions: Menzinger

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
People think Nylander is lying now? o_O

not lying necessarily but stating his case so he appears in the best possible light is more likely.

let's not forget that he is a man who's been raised in privilege, and because of his talent has always been told how great he is and has a lot of things done for him, that doesn't necessarily build a character that's finely balanced. However unfortunate it is, like a lot of his generation personal responsibility probably isn't high on the list of his priorities.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
80 point players will not get 7 million. They'll get much more than that.
Ironic because I have to hear how Matthews and Marner ill set records with their stats.
And when will they get that?
Pastrnak is on pace for 99 points.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Marner is on pace for 100 with JT.
Now unless JT is better than Matthews, Nylander should hit 80 falling out of bed with his “elite” status.

Are you kidding me? Have you been living under a rock? This is pure agenda talk or cheerleader time.

You're creating automatic scenarios as though they happen everyday.

Does the ghost of Rocket Richard playing with a younger Mario Lemioux mean that he gets 970 goals a season?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Are you kidding me? Have you been living under a rock? This is pure agenda talk or cheerleader time.

You're creating automatic scenarios as though they happen everyday.

Does the ghost of Rocket Richard playing with a younger Mario Lemioux mean that he gets 970 goals a season?
I’m just working off the elite status I’ve been told.
Know what I mean?

Reactions: Faltorvo

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
damned if you do and damned if you don't

in a nutshell, it's kind of like the game of telephone

Nylander heard what he wanted to hear and said it out loud, the GM neither confirmed nor denied

anyway we're passed that point and it's now up to Nylander to prove he want's to help this team win by playing a more convincing game and not the wishy-washy effort he's so far been producing

Agreed. Not a big deal. Thousands get married and pledge, "Til death do us part", in front of friends and family, yet end up in divorce a few years later. Stuff happens. Once the marriage between Nylander and the Leafs no longer works, it will likewise be over.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I’m just working off the elite status I’ve been told.
Know what I mean?

Let me re-phrase that a bit.

Let's say you take Ron Hainsey off defense. You put him as a left-winger on Matthews' line. Is Hainsey Automatic for 50 points if Matthews reached his elite potential?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
And when will they get that?
Pastrnak is on pace for 99 points.
Pastrnak got paid for being a guy that had 60 points on non-empty netters in one year after not showing much in his previous seasons. That's what they paid for, and that cost a bit less than what would be a $7M contract today. He then exploded development-wise.

Nylander's 10 closest comparables from the past decade would even out to a slightly higher than $7M cap hit today. Their average ppg is a bit lower than what Nylander has, and all of them played bigger minutes or with as good linemates as Matthews and Hyman. Since their contracts, they average about 70 points per year. If Nylander hits that, he is perfectly in line with what that kind of money buys from a post-ELC stud.

As for your earlier points, expecting 80 points just because he plays with Matthews is absurd. You don't hit that kind of numbers unless you get big minutes on a top PP unit. He plays with Matthews at even strength, it only helps him there. And with Matthews, Nylander was one of the best producing RWs in the league at even strength. But he also played on a crap second PP unit, which limits what kind of production you can get out of him.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Pastrnak got paid for being a guy that had 60 points on non-empty netters in one year after not showing much in his previous seasons. That's what they paid for, and that cost a bit less than what would be a $7M contract today. He then exploded development-wise.

Nylander's 10 closest comparables from the past decade would even out to a slightly higher than $7M cap hit today. Their average ppg is a bit lower than what Nylander has, and all of them played bigger minutes or with as good linemates as Matthews and Hyman. Since their contracts, they average about 70 points per year. If Nylander hits that, he is perfectly in line with what that kind of money buys from a post-ELC stud.

As for your earlier points, expecting 80 points just because he plays with Matthews is absurd. You don't hit that kind of numbers unless you get big minutes on a top PP unit. He plays with Matthews at even strength, it only helps him there. And with Matthews, Nylander was one of the best producing RWs in the league at even strength. But he also played on a crap second PP unit, which limits what kind of production you can get out of him.
Think I’d want my 7 million dollar player on the 1st PP, 3 on 3, last minute of the game etc. If not, I’d rather someone who is.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Dubas is the analytics team and Shanahan has never given me any indication he's a big Nylander fan.

He signed his contract didn’t he?

Never traded him. Either before the hold out or during.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
He signed his contract didn’t he?

Never traded him. Either before the hold out or during.
I think he hires the GM and then he lets him do his thing. I'm sure he has opinions but Dubas gets to make the calls. Until he gets fired anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->