Why The Nylander Contract is a Very Good Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Predictably, Nylander is struggling after missing all of training camp, preseason, and the first 2 months of the season.

The issue is,, I am already seeing people jump-the-gun and say what an error it was to even sign him, and how he makes far too much. From the beginning I said he'll need to get off the reports of wanting 8-8.5 million and take a Pastyrnak type-deal or close. In the end, he signed for .3 more than Pasta, but the cap rose 5 million in the time between the Pasta deal and Nylander signing, so it's give or take the same.

There's a belief Nylander never deserved that type of deal compared to Pastyrnak. Let's take a look:

Pastynak:

2014-15- GP 46, G 10, A, 17, PTS 27 TOI: 13:58
2015-16- GP 51, G 15, A 11, PTS 26 TOI: 13:57
2016-17- GP 75, G 34, A 36, PTS 70 TOI: 17:59

PPG: 0.72

Nylander:
2014-15- GP 22, G 6, A, 7, PTS 13 TOI: 16:20
2015-16- GP 81, G 22, A 39, PTS 61 TOI: 16:01
2016-17- GP 82, G 20, A 41, PTS 61 TOI: 16:41

PPG: 0.73

I also will point out, that I see people stating Nylander's actual salary in money quoted this season. I would hope the same is done after July 2nd, 2019. When Willy gets his 8.3 million bonus, he will make 6 million in actual dollars, but will have a 6.9 cap hit for the rest of his contract. It makes him desirable to teams even worried about $ more than cap hit.

My prediction: this is a great deal and Willy is a true blue chip forward who can get 70+ points yearly and maybe more.

Relax people, you have to separate your feelings from his holdout and his struggles. He needs time.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Is it 6m in actual salary years 2-6? I've also read 4.9m . Or does it go down again after year 2 ?

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
He seems like he's trying way to hard to score a goal and I've noticed he's squeezing his stick too hard. Hopefully he'll score soon and get the monkey off his back.

I wouldn't say it's a very good contract at all, slightly above market value and I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded in the off season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The contract is more than fine. It's right about where it should have been the whole time, so there's no problem with it.

I do think that he needs to produce though and while we have seen glimpses of his old self, he hasn't been as good as he's been the last couple years. I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

Don't blame his linemates and certainly don't blame the conditioning anymore. I think he'll figure it out, he's way to good to not to, but I hope he doesn't take the season to do that.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Is it 6m in actual salary years 2-6? I've also read 4.9m . Or does it go down again after year 2 ?
He gets paid 18mm of his contract as of July 2 this year. So it's really heavily front loaded which means if the Leafs don't like what they see they can send him to an internal cap team for a big return even if he isn't completely living up to the contract.

His interest level away from the puck is what I think will make or break him as a leaf. The offensive skill is undeniable. He's been hit or miss without the puck, halfway through the third of the Detroit game it looks like he remembered that he has to play defense as well as offense. Since then he's been more engaged, I truly hope it lasts.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles
Jul 10, 2003
KW
He gets paid 18mm of his contract as of July 2 this year. So it's really heavily front loaded which means if the Leafs don't like what they see they can send him to an internal cap team for a big return even if he isn't completely living up to the contract.

His interest level away from the puck is what I think will make or break him as a leaf. The offensive skill is undeniable. He's been hit or miss without the puck, halfway through the third of the Detroit game it looks like he remembered that he has to play defense as well as offense. Since then he's been more engaged, I truly hope it lasts.

So is 41.77m - 18m then divide by 5 years? That's about 4.75 per year actual salary.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
After his bonus his paid in July. His actual salary is 6.14m averaged for the next five seasons and his cap hit is almost 7m. (think I got it right.)
An attractive trade for some team, especially if they aren't near the cap and are somewhat budget conscious. I see him in Carolina next season.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Predictably, Nylander is struggling after missing all of training camp, preseason, and the first 2 months of the season.

The issue is,, I am already seeing people jump-the-gun and say what an error it was to even sign him, and how he makes far too much. From the beginning I said he'll need to get off the reports of wanting 8-8.5 million and take a Pastyrnak type-deal or close. In the end, he signed for .3 more than Pasta, but the cap rose 5 million in the time between the Pasta deal and Nylander signing, so it's give or take the same.

There's a belief Nylander never deserved that type of deal compared to Pastyrnak. Let's take a look:

Pastynak:

Nylander:

I also will point out, that I see people stating Nylander's actual salary in money quoted this season. I would hope the same is done after July 2nd, 2019. When Willy gets his 8.3 million bonus, he will make 6 million in actual dollars, but will have a 6.9 cap hit for the rest of his contract. It makes him desirable to teams even worried about $ more than cap hit.

My prediction: this is a great deal and Willy is a true blue chip forward who can get 70+ points yearly and maybe more.

Relax people, you have to separate your feelings from his holdout and his struggles. He needs time.

No. I will not relax. Nylander is losing his own Public Relations Saga with the fans.

If he were in shape, shown some heart, and produced then he would win the fans.

It's too late. Fans are starting to boo and angry anti-Nylander threads are becoming more frequent.

I'm sorry, but even if Tavares/Marner/Matthews don't show any life in pre-season /the first week of the season then fans start to wonder. They too will face scrutiny from fans, coaches, gm, media, and alumni.

What was Nylander thinking? Was he going to hold out and not play this season? He most likely wasn't. So why would a pro athlete do so little during this negotiation to prepare to play? Is it not the best league in the world? Is it a good idea to show up with no legs and no lungs?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No. I will not relax. Nylander is losing his own Public Relations Saga with the fans.

If he were in shape, shown some heart, and produced then he would win the fans.

It's too late. Fans are starting to boo and angry anti-Nylander threads are becoming more frequent.

I'm sorry, but even if Tavares/Marner/Matthews don't show any life in pre-season /the first week of the season then fans start to wonder. They too will face scrutiny from fans, coaches, gm, media, and alumni.

What was Nylander thinking? Was he going to hold out and not play this season? He most likely wasn't. So why would a pro athlete do so little during this negotiation to prepare to play? Is it not the best league in the world? Is it a good idea to show up with no legs and no lungs?

Not realistic to expect him to look in nHL shape and produce after a few games.
This holdout was more due to his dad imo.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Not realistic to expect him to look in nHL shape and produce after a few games.
This holdout was more due to his dad imo.
The dad claim is b.s. The holdout was nylanders decision and he should take responsibilty for it. His play has been up and down and I do see him boucning back and continuing his growth but he doesnt get a free ride. Any player who chooses to hold out, doesnt produce will see his stock drop a bit. Fans of our teams and other teams will be ragging on him a bit. Guys like reinhart, larkin, etc from his class are having great seasons so it stings to see nylander having the worst year of his career. He needs to step up his play now that Babcock has fixed the lines and brought him back with Matthews. Zone entries, and possession stats are nice but in the end we need actual production from a 7 million dollar core guy. I have faith nylander will start to produce, you don't lose your talent over a few months. Once nylander gets one goal his confidence will sky rocket and the good plays will become consistent. Until that happens he will be subject to criticism especially when at times his effort looks like its lacking.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Pastynak:

Nylander:

Actually a lot people predicted that he would score 36 points plus this season (71% who voted). He's way off pace and is now on pace for 10 points this season. At this point he has to look behind him for Fredrik Gauthier who might steal his job on the 3rd line.

Prediction Contest: - Nylander Points Total: 2018-19

Reactions: WickedPegJets

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad