News Article: Why the Jets’ PP1 is unstoppable

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Why the Jets’ PP1 is unstoppable

Nice article. I read that and think on my hilariously dumb takes on the PP from last season. Why you not pass the puck to Patrik all the time you morons! Pate good shooting but you not pass to Pate! (Well maybe Buff took a few too many low % shots from the point, as that is the lowest probability play to score if I'm not incorrect [thanks to garret9 I actually know something, well sort of at least :D ])

Wheeler is doing a damn fine job not only quarterbacking the PP, but masking his intentions when doing so as well. It's basically the opponents choosing how they want to die.

Last edited:

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland

Nice article. I read that and think on my hilariously dumb takes on the PP from last season. Why you not pass the puck to Patrik all the time you morons! Pate good shooting but you not pass to Pate! (Well maybe Buff took a few too many low % shots from the point, as that is the lowest probability play to score if I'm not incorrect)

Wheeler is doing a damn fine job not only quarterbacking the PP, but masking his intentions when doing so as well. It's basically the opponents choosing how they want to die.

Those cross-ice passes are only gonna get better :nod:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Too many weapons. I think Morrissey is going to add more deception to the point than Buff did. Buff keeps teams honest up top with his shot and can move the puck, but Morrissey is a bit better at misdirection which should open up Pate more.
The other major advantage with Morrissey on the point is defense. He won't be taking some of the chances & gambling likeBuff does, and he has the speed to catch up to the play if he makes a mistake (which seems like almost never)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The other major advantage with Morrissey on the point is defense. He won't be taking some of the chances & gambling likeBuff does, and he has the speed to catch up to the play if he makes a mistake (which seems like almost never)

Honestly I don't view Buff's play as gambling as much as he's just trying to make something happen, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't . I also think he's really cut down on these depending on the game situation, which was really the bigger issue.

Sometimes making a great play is just having the courage and confidence to do it, that's what great players do. I hope Morrissey has a bit of gamble in his game, conservative doesn't always win. He's smart enough to pick his spots, that's definitely a benefit.

Reactions: Evil Little

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Honestly I don't view Buff's play as gambling as much as he's just trying to make something happen, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't . I also think he's really cut down on these depending on the game situation, which was really the bigger issue.

Sometimes making a great play is just having the courage and confidence to do it, that's what great players do. I hope Morrissey has a bit of gamble in his game, conservative doesn't always win. He's smart enough to pick his spots, that's definitely a benefit.

Buffs courage is much appreciated, but the thing is.. no need of it or anything else, just pass it to Laine for onetimer is best option everytime

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I have seen a lot less risk in Byfugliens game over the past season, and it's made him such a better, more important player. He doesn't really give up the puck at either blueline anymore which is a vast improvement

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Buffs courage is much appreciated, but the thing is.. no need of it or anything else, just pass it to Laine for onetimer is best option everytime

Let me help you here.
I agree with the spirit of your post.
Laine one timer (shot) should be the primary objective and goal.
But it can’t be the only look or we’ll barely ever score as teams will over defend it.

The point is to threaten from all 5 positions and switch things up to keep the other team on their toes. It’s important to use many ways to get the puck to Laine in many areas. At the same time Wheeler will have to shoot once in a while, we have to get the puck to Scheif in the slot or on the back post (which was his money spot in junior), Connor, Morrissey / Buff and anyone else need to be involved.

If teams can quantify that 85+ % of the time we are trying for the Laine one timer then it will become less effective because the goalies will cheat it and the PK will block more shots.

What can’t happen is passing up prime opportunities to deliver the puck to Laine in dangerous areas.

Every PK is taking away some things and leaving others open. As long as the PP is quick but doesn’t rush things they will find the seam or the weak spot and score plenty of goals.

If that doesn’t work then BLitts will just back hand roof something for us ;)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Morrissey will definitely make this PP run smoother IMO. Buff takes to many point shots. Morrissey will pretty much always either defer to Wheeler or try to get the puck to Laine. With Scheif moving up and down the slot the defender will have to pick pretty much two options. Either cover Wheelers lane to the net, cover the cross seam to Laine, cover the slot pass to Scheif or cover the pass to MoJo. Someone is always going to be open and there should pretty much always be an option to get a shot off if run correctly.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Let me help you here.
I agree with the spirit of your post.
Laine one timer (shot) should be the primary objective and goal.
But it can’t be the only look or we’ll barely ever score as teams will over defend it.

The point is to threaten from all 5 positions and switch things up to keep the other team on their toes. It’s important to use many ways to get the puck to Laine in many areas. At the same time Wheeler will have to shoot once in a while, we have to get the puck to Scheif in the slot or on the back post (which was his money spot in junior), Connor, Morrissey / Buff and anyone else need to be involved.

If teams can quantify that 85+ % of the time we are trying for the Laine one timer then it will become less effective because the goalies will cheat it and the PK will block more shots.

What can’t happen is passing up prime opportunities to deliver the puck to Laine in dangerous areas.

Every PK is taking away some things and leaving others open. As long as the PP is quick but doesn’t rush things they will find the seam or the weak spot and score plenty of goals.

If that doesn’t work then BLitts will just back hand roof something for us ;)

read again, everytime for Buffs it's better just to feed Laine than.. you know.. do Buffs things. for anyone else there is many options

i think he will be replaced soon, if not already done

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Nice article. I read that and think on my hilariously dumb takes on the PP from last season. Why you not pass the puck to Patrik all the time you morons! Pate good shooting but you not pass to Pate! (Well maybe Buff took a few too many low % shots from the point, as that is the lowest probability play to score if I'm not incorrect [thanks to garret9 I actually know something])

5v5 but you get the idea:
shPerc.png

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
read again, everytime for Buffs it's better just to feed Laine than.. you know.. do Buffs things. for anyone else there is many options

i think he will be replaced soon, if not already done

Morrissey has played the PP1
But we can’t assume that is a permanent move set in stone. I think Mo will go with it while the PP is running hot.
If we hit a cold stretch I’m sure Buff finds his way back to his spot. I’m not saying he should but just that it would be likely

And no not even Buff should do what you say every time. It would be too predictable. He needs to take less shots from that spot and vary the way he gets the puck to Laine and others but the general rules apply to him otherwise.

He has scored a lot of goals from back there but does need to be more selective in when he takes those shots. Because his misses often clear the zone or are cleared immediately afterwards.

I think if they want to switch things up from time to time that Buff replacing Connor in front of the net would be a great plan B. Dusty screening goalies so Patty can snipe goals is always good.

Reactions: libertarian

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
5v5 but you get the idea:
shPerc.png

Does that not translate to the PP, especially in this context? Or is PP such a different animal than it depends more on the circumstances?

I think at least that the actualized reality of the situation has been that the Buff shots have been the most futile, but of course there is so much variance going on that it could be just bad luck.

Also trying to think what kind of increase is 2% probability. I mean 2 -> 4 is 100% increase, but 2 or 4 goals out of a hundred shots doesn't seem like it matters a whole lot, or that other things would matter significantly more (shooter quality obviously but I'm talking more about PK structure). In other words, I was probably not that accurate in my original post, but kind of sort of still maybe.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Morrissey has played the PP1
But we can’t assume that is a permanent move set in stone. I think Mo will go with it while the PP is running hot.
If we hit a cold stretch I’m sure Buff finds his way back to his spot. I’m not saying he should but just that it would be likely

And no not even Buff should do what you say every time. It would be too predictable. He needs to take less shots from that spot and vary the way he gets the puck to Laine and others but the general rules apply to him otherwise.

He has scored a lot of goals from back there but does need to be more selective in when he takes those shots. Because his misses often clear the zone or are cleared immediately afterwards.

I think if they want to switch things up from time to time that Buff replacing Connor in front of the net would be a great plan B. Dusty screening goalies so Patty can snipe goals is always good.

It looks like the plan is to run 2 D on PP2 at least for now with Buff and Myers. If both PP's become more effective because of it I could see with us sticking with it.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
There is a saying in the chess world that "the threat is stronger than the execution". Just having Laine sit there with his nuclear bomb of a shot is useful even if he never gets it off.

Also, the way Laine can slide down to the goal line and 1 time it from an incredibly awkward angle (like last night) is such an advantage. Not many guys can 1 time a puck like that.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Morrissey LHD is better for setting up Patty for the 1 time, rather than RHD Buff.

Morrissey has better hockey IQ over Buff which is better for the Pp. Buff has mad skills but doesn't always make good choices.

Morrissey should be the first PP option for the lone Defenceman and also first out on the 3 on 3 overtime. Buff should not see the ice in overtime..... Buff has mad unique skills that can win the game for us in OT, but OT is an endurance race of skating and that s not were Buff shines. He gets caught on the ice exhausted and becomes nothing more than a pylon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad