Why the hate on Burish?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
ok, this poor guys needs some support, at lease before the season starts and he can actually play a game. He's over 50% on face-offs which is good for a puck possession team, he also will block some shots and make some hits.

He's gonna have at least 3.6 million dollars worth of support to fall back on if the pitchforks come out from the fans for him.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
ok, this poor guys needs some support, at lease before the season starts and he can actually play a game. He's over 50% on face-offs which is good for a puck possession team, he also will block some shots and make some hits.

I think your avatar needs more support and I recommend my hands. :laugh:

Back on topic, I think Burish's PK ability is overrated. You can compare the Sharks' success on the PK last year to previous years and try and attribute that to Burish, but really it was a system change that lead to the dramatic percentage upswing, not the contributions of a single player. His faceoffs are appreciated, but Scott Nichol for example was among the best in the league at faceoffs and provided more sandpaper but cost just over a third of Burish's contract. I'm convinced that there are plenty of 4th liners we could get that could do an equal or better job than Burish, perhaps even within our own system, and because of that he will always have that negative fan perception unless he changes significantly from last year's performance.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
On the Sharks Burish is:

Not a top 4 PKer talent-wise
Not a top 10 5on5 forward
Not a top 6 PP guy
Not an energy guy
Not a physical guy
Not a fighter

With that, it's hard to justify anything more than a $600k/yr 4th line plug. And generally that 4th line plug you'd prefer to be a younger guy who has a chance of getting better, or use it for rotating AHL callup as a reward for the AHL guys you value.

Basically, if Burish doesn't have that contract, he's likely not on the team. DW is great at signing/trading top 6 forwards and top 4 d-men. It's those contracts to 3rd/4th liners and 3rd pairing d-men that usually don't work out so well.

Edit: This is based on last year. I really hope he develops into the best PKer on the team and brings something to each and every game, even if it doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Last year, you could have replaced him with any AHL plug and I don't think the Sharks fare any different.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
On the Sharks Burish is:

Not a top 4 PKer talent-wise
Not a top 10 5on5 forward
Not a top 6 PP guy
Not an energy guy
Not a physical guy
Not a fighter

With that, it's hard to justify anything more than a $600k/yr 4th line plug. And generally that 4th line plug you'd prefer to be a younger guy who has a chance of getting better, or use it for rotating AHL callup as a reward for the AHL guys you value.

Basically, if Burish doesn't have that contract, he's likely not on the team. DW is great at signing/trading top 6 forwards and top 4 d-men. It's those contracts to 3rd/4th liners and 3rd pairing d-men that usually don't work out so well.

Edit: This is based on last year. I really hope he develops into the best PKer on the team and brings something to each and every game, even if it doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Last year, you could have replaced him with any AHL plug and I don't think the Sharks fare any different.

He used to be the bottom 3 and then he got paid by Dallas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->