Why the Habs need to make a push now

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Making a push this year is non sense, plain and simple. You can't aim for the 1st overall pick at the beginning of the season and aim at the cup midway through.
So in this situation, stand pat and have no shot at either? Management should always be trying to move forward. Should a deal present itself to improve the team over the next 2-3 years, it must be done. From what I see, depending on the player in question, no one except Brook and Romanov should be off the table.

Reactions: cphabs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
So in this situation, stand pat and have no shot at either? Management should always be trying to move forward. Should a deal present itself to improve the team over the next 2-3 years, it must be done. From what I see, depending on the player in question, no one except Brook and Romanov should be off the table.
I’d hang onto Primeau.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

The only way I'd get rid of one of our top 10 prospects would be to get a young player signed long term. This isn't going all in. If this kind of trade is not available, I'd rather keep our young guys. Especially considering the quality of our prospects.

Reactions: Runner77 and cphabs

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
The only way I'd get rid of one of our top 10 prospects would be to get a young player signed long term. This isn't going all in. If this kind of trade is not available, I'd rather keep our young guys. Especially considering the quality of our prospects.
Absolutely. We need a return with term.

Reactions: Acadien86

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I like him, but he will not be any impact for us for at least 5 years (good lord willing). That makes him an asset that may help us land that much needed forward or LD.
Ok, what would the return be?

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Im not saying that bergevin need to move for a 29 year old. A guy like mark stone (26 years), fowler, nurse are young and can be very effective during 6/7 years. I dont matter if ylonen will be good during 12 years since today. Price and weber won’t be on elite level during 10 years

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Agreed. However, certain players have to be kept. The Habs have already traded Hawkey on account of having Primeau. And Hawkey has been stellar. They won't want to trade Primeau unless there is another Primeau in the org. and I don't think they quite have anyone like him in their minor league system.

Reactions: Acadien86

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
If montreal had problem with their cap hit, it could be a good option to keep most the young players because they are cheap. But right now. We have cap space. And i hope that bergevin will use it. We have a ton of prospect. And prospect = suspect. Maybe josh brook is our next tinordi. Today he has value. Tonmorow maybe not.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you're going with the fable that a prospect is a suspect, then why don't the Habs save their money and shut down their Amateur Scouting Dept.

Prospects are suspects in the wrong hands and in the wrong organizations. They are assets in those organizations that know how to draft and develop them.

Reactions: vokiel and cphabs

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Ok, what would the return be?
That I don't have the answer to. For LD, Nurse, Lindholm, Fowler, Ghost, Werenski are guys with term that may be had. Forwards, I think if we can do a trade and sign for a guy like Stone, I'd say go for it.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Can't believe this thread. Make a push now when the leader of our new core is 18! We need to do everything in our power to surround Kotkaniemi with great players in his age group. That's why Mete, Juulsen, Suzuki, Poehling, Ylonen, Romanov, Primeau and Brook and our 1st pick this year (and the next ones) are off limit. Eventually, in a few years, we should trade Weber, Petry and Price to make the new core even stronger.

We are playing great this year, but we are still very, very far from being able to contend for the cup. We are many pieces away. We are 4 or 5 year away from being ready to contend. At that time, yes, we will trade for the one missing piece.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We are 4 or 5 year away from being ready to contend. At that time, yes, we will trade for the one missing piece.

You can't work that way in the NHL today when strong players get $6M and more coming off ELC. Otherwise you end up with Edmonton with multiple high draft picks moving into the $6M, $9M and even $13M level without the team ever having won a thing.

A rebuild has to be shaped in two years or so, and then you have to keep improving.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Agreed. However, certain players have to be kept. The Habs have already traded Hawkey on account of having Primeau. And Hawkey has been stellar. They won't want to trade Primeau unless there is another Primeau in the org. and I don't think they quite have anyone like him in their minor league system.

Trading Hawkey made no sense, and is one of the MANY reasons people don't trust Marc Bergevin to lead this talent buildup.

Reactions: Runner77

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

Primeau is a beast! Seems like he got everything to have a successful career. He is untouchable atm, i agre! I was high on Hawkey too, I didn't understand that one and it still is the case.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
You can't work that way in the NHL today when strong players get $6M and more coming off ELC. Otherwise you end up with Edmonton with multiple high draft picks moving into the $6M, $9M and even $13M level without the team ever having won a thing.

A rebuild has to be shaped in two years or so, and then you have to keep improving.

Edmonton sucks because they were and still are horribly mismanaged. The Hall, Eberle, Griffin Reinhart trades, signing Lucic to that contract and term. Just horrendous moves by one of the worst GM’s ever in the NHL.

They either traded those high picks for almost nothing or couldn’t surround them with actual NHL players.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
This team is all over the place. Some night, they fly crazy, looking like they are about to score at will and other night, they are flat.
A week and a haft ago, Drouin was flying, getting ready to get the key of the city and now, he's getting chased out.
Nerves before the TDL?

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Can't believe this thread. Make a push now when the leader of our new core is 18! We need to do everything in our power to surround Kotkaniemi with great players in his age group. That's why Mete, Juulsen, Suzuki, Poehling, Ylonen, Romanov, Primeau and Brook and our 1st pick this year (and the next ones) are off limit. Eventually, in a few years, we should trade Weber, Petry and Price to make the new core even stronger.

We are playing great this year, but we are still very, very far from being able to contend for the cup. We are many pieces away. We are 4 or 5 year away from being ready to contend. At that time, yes, we will trade for the one missing piece.

So... we tank a bit, get a better pick? Or play a tiny bit in the playoffs for 'experience' and get a somewhat 1st pick that might make it in the future?

Expectations were low this year but they turned that around..... playoffs are not like they used to be. Back then, I'm talking 90s, any team had a chance with the format. Now, not so much if you finish bottom picks unless you come in with a good streak and continue on. Which I don't see happening here.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
So... we tank a bit, get a better pick? Or play a tiny bit in the playoffs for 'experience' and get a somewhat 1st pick that might make it in the future?

Expectations were low this year but they turned that around..... playoffs are not like they used to be. Back then, I'm talking 90s, any team had a chance with the format. Now, not so much if you finish bottom picks unless you come in with a good streak and continue on. Which I don't see happening here.
5 of the 8 teams from the east currently in a playoff spot can make it to the finals and no one would consider it a shocker. That's with me excluding NYI, Columbus and Montreal. The East has 5 as well. The Habs had to go through Tampa and Boston (17 point difference) in 2014. It opened the door for the Rangers to make the Finals.
In no way do I think the Habs have a shot this year, but making the playoffs always has to be the goal. Not at any cost mind you, but if there's a reasonable move to be made, management owes it to players to make it.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
In no way do I think the Habs have a shot this year, but making the playoffs always has to be the goal. Not at any cost mind you, but if there's a reasonable move to be made, management owes it to players to make it.

Building a team to contend and win the cup should be the goal, not simply making the playoffs.

Is this how far this once great franchise base come, where just making the playoffs is a success?

Reactions: cphabs

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Building a team to contend and win the cup should be the goal, not simply making the playoffs.

Is this how far this once great franchise base come, where just making the playoffs is a success?
I should be clear. Can't win the Cup if you dont make the playoffs. Now I will use your words against you. Is this how far this great franchise base has fallen where advocating for failing to make the playoffs in order to improve draft position is preferred to making the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->