Why the Habs need to make a push now

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I should be clear. Can't win the Cup if you dont make the playoffs. Now I will use your words against you. Is this how far this great franchise base has fallen where advocating for failing to make the playoffs in order to improve draft position is preferred to making the playoffs?

Depends.

Last year, personally I was hoping they would drop further in the standings to get a higher pick.

This year they’ve done a good job to get where they are. I’d like to see them make it, I think it would give them confidence going into next season (although getting swept by TB might not help). They are getting a mid-pick regardless.

I think the big thing is I don’t want them to sell the future to try and squeeze into the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: loudi94

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Depends.

Last year, personally I was hoping they would drop further in the standings to get a higher pick.

This year they’ve done a good job to get where they are. I’d like to see them make it, I think it would give them confidence going into next season (although get swept by TB might not help). They are getting a mid-pick regardless.

I think the big thing is I don’t want them to sell the future to try and squeeze into the playoffs.

I too wanted them to pick high last season, but only after making the playoffs were not a reality. That happened in October unfortunately. I was fully prepared to see them be awful this year and was pleasantly surprised. We are in a spot where giving up a 3rd rounder or a marginal prospect for a rental to help us secure a playoff spot isn't going to kill us. If a bigger deal for a big game player with term becomes available, then we really have to look hard at it. Our current roster, prospects included can't compete with a team like Tampa for many years.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I too wanted them to pick high last season, but only after making the playoffs were not a reality. That happened in October unfortunately. I was fully prepared to see them be awful this year and was pleasantly surprised. We are in a spot where giving up a 3rd rounder or a marginal prospect for a rental to help us secure a playoff spot isn't going to kill us. If a bigger deal for a big game player with term becomes available, then we really have to look hard at it. Our current roster, prospects included can't compete with a team like Tampa for many years.

I think Montreal would have to give up more to help improve the odds of securing a playoff spot.

Last year a 3rd round pick netted Brandon Davidson (Isles-Oilers).

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The problem is, when montreal was first ont the top in 2015, bergevin did not made a significant move for improve his team. So in 4 years, when our team will be mature, will he keeps his assets again?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think Montreal would have to give up more to guarantee securing a playoff spot.

The Habs had previously tried to trade Davidson but there were no takers and he ended up being waived. The Oilers successfully claimed him and some two months later, were somehow able to flip him to the Isles for a third rounder. Given the foregoing, Davidson fetching a third rounder looks like an anomaly.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The Habs had previously tried to trade Davidson but there were no takers and he ended up being waived. The Oilers successfully claimed him and some two months later, were somehow able to flip him to the Isles for a third rounder. Given the foregoing, Davidson fetching a third rounder looks like an anomaly.

Ok. Florida was able to get Frank Vatrano from Boston for a 3rd. Although he is doing good this year for Florida he had 2 goals in 25 games when they traded him.

Washington got Kempny from Chicago for a 3rd.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I think Montreal would have to give up more to help improve the odds of securing a playoff spot.

Who knows how the market will behave. Vanek for a second (Collberg) was a good gamble, even if it didn't quite work out perfectly.

Reactions: habergeon

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ok. Florida was able to get Frank Vatrano from Boston for a 3rd. Although he is doing good this year for Florida he had 2 goals in 25 games when they traded him.

Washington got Kempny from Chicago for a 3rd.

Vatrano is having a good season. I don't see it from an offensive standpoint with Kempny but perhaps there is more to his game.

So the point is, to get someone of the quality of these players, you need to give up a third round pick?

These players confirm my earlier point that Davidson for a third rounder was an anomaly. Have you seen what Davidson has done since the trade?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Vatrano is having a good season. I don't see it from an offensive standpoint with Kempny but perhaps there is more to his game.

So the point is, to get someone of the quality of these players, you need to give up a third round pick?

I guess the point is; does the player the Habs acquire by giving up a 3rd move the needle? I’m fine with it if it is a player with term that can contribute down the road, like Vatrano (and not another 4th loner) but not for a rental who is an UFA after this season.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Bergevin said at his last PC that he will not trade picks for a rental.

The team is where it is because Price has been very good at times and I felt the system used was a lot like Vegas played last year. I think we surprised a lot of teams. But to mix
metaphors, the habs just don't have the horses and the wheels are coming off. Games will get tougher down the home stretch and we will lose more than we win, I predict.

Sell. This isn't the year. Build for the future.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Two words: Garth Snow

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I guess the point is; does the player the Habs acquire by giving up a 3rd move the needle? I’m fine with it if it is a player with term that can contribute down the road, like Vatrano (and not another 4th loner) but not for a rental who is an UFA after this season.

Well, the two players seem to have upside considering they've only been obtained for a third rounder. I imagine Kempny is a top 4? Never paid attention to him.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Well, the two players seem to have upside considering they've only been obtained for a third rounder. I imagine Kempny is a top 4? Never paid attention to him.

Looking back at Montreal’s 3rd round drafting history I guess it’s not that big of a pick to give up.

The last 3rd rounder to score a single goal was Andrighetto, the last 3rd rounder to score more than 75 points (career) was Yannick Weber, and the last to score more than 100 (career) was Plekanec, drafted 18 years ago.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Looking back at Montreal’s 3rd round drafting history I guess it’s not that big of a pick to give up.

The last 3rd rounder to score a single goal was Andrighetto, the last 3rd rounder to score more than 75 points (career) was Yannick Weber, and the last to score more than 100 (career) was Plekanec, drafted 18 years ago.

Yeah, it's a crapshoot however, by the same token, we got Primeau for a 7th and Gallagher for a 5th. I'd say there is strength in numbers -- the more picks you can hold on to, the better the odds that some of them actually beget something of value.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Who knows how the market will behave. Vanek for a second (Collberg) was a good gamble, even if it didn't quite work out perfectly.

I agree with this approach.

Bergevin is putting himself in a box saying he won't trade for rentals, yet he won't trade the future. The only way to get something is to give something, so my guess is were doing squat this year.

As far as "adds" I'd like to see something along the lines of a 2nd or 3r draft pick ( +/- whatever, low level prospect or later draft pick, make up what you want) for someone like Jay Bouwmeester for the rest of the year. The guy can still skate, great in the d zone, good veteran guy with hockey smarts.

I'd love to see him with Petry on the 2nd unit. I think he'd fit out group / style fantastically, and he'd be a huge upgrade to out top four for the rest of the year.

As far as people being dealt, I think Andrew Shaw and Mike Reilly have to go....and if we can get a draft pick for Benn do it. I'd also like to see see Alzner flipped for an under performing forward on a similar contract to see if we can't find lightening in a bottle. What do you really have to lose at this point.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I agree with this approach.

Bergevin is putting himself in a box saying he won't trade for rentals, yet he won't trade the future. The only way to get something is to give something, so my guess is were doing squat this year.

As far as "adds" I'd like to see something along the lines of a 2nd or 3r draft pick ( +/- whatever, low level prospect or later draft pick, make up what you want) for someone like Jay Bouwmeester for the rest of the year. The guy can still skate, great in the d zone, good veteran guy with hockey smarts.

I'd love to see him with Petry on the 2nd unit. I think he'd fit out group / style fantastically, and he'd be a huge upgrade to out top four for the rest of the year.

As far as people being dealt, I think Andrew Shaw and Mike Reilly have to go....and if we can get a draft pick for Benn do it. I'd also like to see see Alzner flipped for an under performing forward on a similar contract to see if we can't find lightening in a bottle. What do you really have to lose at this point.
My gut tells me Shaw is close to untouchable in MB's eyes. He'd have to be part of a huge upgrade as opposed to being dumped for picks or prospects.

Reactions: habergeon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->