Why so many threads of late bashing Crosby by AO supporters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
pei fan said:
Do you mean for example when I said Crosby was a more dominant 16/17
year old player than Mario.Yes it was my opinion but it is also backed up
by the facts.It's not even debatable.

There you go again, you're obviously blind to your total lack of objectivity.

It *IS* debatable since there are so many variables that makes Crosby vs. Lemieux in QMJHL comparisons very hard. To say it's not detable just underlines your huge bias.

Sorry but you keep proving yourself wrong in every post and you don't even realize it.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
I agree. Some develope earlier than others some later. I am pretty sure that Mario is not sweating over Crosby ever overtaking him - though as the owner of the team on some levels he might even want that. To say that of the kid, or anyone for that matter, is the height of wishful statements. Mario was one of the top players of all time. Had he not had injuries I have few doubts that he would have been the best of all time. Crosby will be very good, seeing him even on an 'off' night in his very first game showed me as much. But how good? His past performances are only maginally useful at best in predicting.
Past performances are all we have when evaluating a prospect and for the
most part the truly exceptional past performances did pan out.The key is
properly evaluting exceptional past performances.BTW I NEVER said Sidney
would be better than Mario.I was always countering the argument:"there
is no way he will ever be as good as Mario".I don't think you can say
either "for sure".Mario was a heckuva great player and if Sidney is going
to match him he will have to do what Mario did and win Hart trophies and
Art Ross Trophies and Stanley cups.All I'm saying is :who says he can't.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Pepper said:
There you go again, you're obviously blind to your total lack of objectivity.

It *IS* debatable since there are so many variables that makes Crosby vs. Lemieux in QMJHL comparisons very hard. To say it's not detable just underlines your huge bias.

Sorry but you keep proving yourself wrong in every post and you don't even realize it.
The only variables I can think of are that the Q became more defencive oriented/
more nhl like and also the NHL strike caused the talent pool to be higher last
year more than most.The rest is about relative dominance.

I don't know of 1 single solitary hockey expert that debates to say Lemieux was
better than Crosby as a 16/17 year old.The only argument I have ever heard
was yes Crosby was better at 16/17 but can he improve as much as Mario
did as Mario improved alot at 17 and also again at 18 when he severely dominated
the league.Anyway if you can find someone who has made that claim please
name him.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Tb0ne said:
Why can't people just be fans of both of them? Pretty simple.
I'd be fine with that,but the AO fans won't leave it alone.They can never
make it just about AO at least not on these boards.

Please ,someone show me a post where I have said anything about Ovechkin
as a player/prospect other than that he was great.Go back as far as you
like you won't find any.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Tb0ne said:
Why can't people just be fans of both of them? Pretty simple.

I actually am one. I loved those highlights of AO's goals his first game. He was impressive and will be a pleasure to watch.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Well, Pepper since you're such a big man saying i have no objectivity.
Go, ahead and debate it.

Crosby was a more dominant 16/17 year old than Mario.(not debatable)
16 year old Mario:top twenty in scoring, no all star team.
16 year old Sidney:scoring leader in the QMJHL (missed 11 games to WJC)
Player of the year in QMJHL.First ever 16 year old scoring leader in the
CHL.First ever 16 year old player of the year in the CHL.Lead last place team to division title.
17 year old Mario:3rd in scoring ,not sure but I think he was 2nd team all star
17 year old Sidney:scoring leader in the QMJHL(by a wide margin over linemates)
scoring leader in the CHL ,Player of the year in the QMJHL,first ever player to win CHL player of the year award twice(and did it back to back in a year when the
chl had more elite players than usual because of the lockout).Lead his team
to Presidents Trophy and won MVP and led his team to a memorial cup final
and was the leading scorer in the tournament.

You won't debate it......... because you can't.There is no logical way of
arguing that a player that finished top twenty in scoring in the Q dominated
as much as a guy that won the scoring race by a good margin ,won chl
player of the year etc.I haven't even brought defensive play into it.Do
you think a 16/17 year old Mario even knew the word backcheck?

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
pei fan said:
I'd be fine with that,but the AO fans won't leave it alone.They can never
make it just about AO at least not on these boards.

Please ,someone show me a post where I have said anything about Ovechkin
as a player/prospect other than that he was great.Go back as far as you
like you won't find any.

Though I do agree with you that there has been a lot of AO fans who won't leave the comparison alone, there are many Crosby supporters (and I am not saying your one of them) who would have jumped at the chance to criticize AO if in fact the roles were reversed and Crosby had lit it up, while AO simply had an assist. I am not condoning the acts of many AO supporters, and in fact, I am one who is cheering on both to succeed. I'm not going to side with one player or the other. If I did, that would just be foolish on my part.

Also, alot of the negative views towards Crosby has been attributed to the overload of coverage Sid has gotten and AO has not. Well maybe I agree that a bit more focus could be placed on Ovechkin, I just feel the NHL as a whole has placed it's future on the back of Crosby. Now is that fair, probably not, and the debate can continue of who is the better prospect and whatnot, but when you have the potential that Sidney has, and I fully believe the fact that he is Canadian is very much an issue of why the Canadian coverage is so centered towards him, I could really care less if they wait until the second portion of sportscenter to show Ovechkin.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Taranis_24 said:
Jaded - I don't think it's Crosby bashing but more of how the media is only hyping Crosby and not the other extremely talented rookies out there.
All out of porportion, yeah. It's not Crosby bashing to think other rookies may have a better season and deserve attention for what they are doing.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
In this little Crosby vs Ovechkin war, I do support AO. I am Russian and like many on this board I am annoyed that all we heard in the last few months was Crosby Crosby Crosby.

Saying that, it seems quite silly to dismiss the guy after one game. OK, his debute wasn't as amazing as AO's, but he still got an assist. He still may improve later. Secondly, those who make fun of him now, show the way to Crosby supporters -- AO won't score in every game and in some games he may even suck (I am sure that even Gretzky had those kind of games). Would we dismiss AO because of that? :teach:

KariyaIsGod*

Vladiator said:
In this little Crosby vs Ovechkin war, I do support AO. I am Russian and like many on this board I am annoyed that all we heard in the last few months was Crosby Crosby Crosby.

Saying that, it seems quite silly to dismiss the guy after one game. OK, his debute wasn't as amazing as AO's, but he still got an assist. He still may improve later. Secondly, those who make fun of him now, show the way to Crosby supporters -- AO won't score in every game and in some games he may even suck (I am sure that even Gretzky had those kind of games). Would we dismiss AO because of that? :teach:

I only dismiss AO because fo the ridiculous Crosby dismissals going on when in reality, they had a difference of 1 point in their first game. On top of that, my Grandmother could have scored AO's second goal and Crosby's assist was a beauty....

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
I can't speak for anybody else, but I bash Crosby because he owes me money.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Oh look. I turn on the NHL network to watch On The Fly to see the highlights so far tonight, and what's playing? "The Sidney Crosby Special" for an hour. Gee, Sid's playing basketball. Now he's in a batting cage. :help:

*That's* why folks are fed up.

HughJass*

burnlikestars said:
agreed. I guess everybody else feels that they could do more at age 18 in the NHL?

:shakehead

Give the kid some time.

I watched this kid tonight. Yeah, people need to give him a break. This kid completely outworked his entire team, and I didn't realize how strong this guy is on the puck. I would swear he's not an 18 year old.

2 points in 2 games. The way he plays, I don't see him not getting at least 60.

Granted, everyone and their mother are forcing this kid down our throats, but don't hate on him because of that.

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
Storminator16 said:
I watched this kid tonight. Yeah, people need to give him a break. This kid completely outworked his entire team, and I didn't realize how strong this guy is on the puck. I would swear he's not an 18 year old.

2 points in 2 games. The way he plays, I don't see him not getting at least 60.

Granted, everyone and their mother are forcing this kid down our throats, but don't hate on him because of that.

And his assist was amazing.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
For those who haven't seen it yet, it was a one time slapshot pass to Palffy's tape in front of the net.

He was arguably the best player out there for the Pens.

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
This is a really silly thread, folks.

If this were the Political Forum, it would be entitled something along the lines of "Why do the terrorists hate us?"

Spankatola Jamnuts*

The fact that there are "supporters" of this guy and not that guy surfing around the boards in little cadres, scanning thread titles for insults, is pretty dorky.

Randall Graves*

Jaded-Fan said:
Can't AO's merits stand on their own without some supporters of his constantly bringing Crosby into the equation? This whole Crosby bashing trend of late shows litte more than how small some supporters of AO actually are.

I have a question: Since when did a single Pens and/or Crosby fans ever feel the need to put AO down to prop Crosby up? Hell, even when the analogous situation occured over a year and a half ago onward when Malkin was coming on some and the whole Malkin is catching up to AO threads went on and on I can remember no one needing to pull AO down to make any case for Malkin. AO was always called an amazing player by everyone involved, in those threads 1 1/2 years ago and also I might add props were given to AO by Crosby supporters in every Crosby thread where AO's name was constantly inserted. Without exception.

You all are doing little more than making yourselves look like a bunch of whiney jealous tools with threads like the several - not one but several - that have sprung up doing just this of late.

Just one additional note: As for Crosby's first night, he did not score two goals, but for those who watched the game, and I was one, he did show at least to me many flashes of why he was so hyped. He early on made one amazing no look tape to tape backhanded pass springing one player that showed signs of that 'vision thing' that people talked about Crosby having. And his assist was very impressive as far as assists go, putting the puck right on Recchi's tape in front of the net. He did not have a bad game at all and showed anything but being a bust.
Yeah, it's not like the crosby jockers haven't been bashing AO, or trying to sneak in a 'crosby is better' quip either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad