Why so many threads of late bashing Crosby by AO supporters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Can't AO's merits stand on their own without some supporters of his constantly bringing Crosby into the equation? This whole Crosby bashing trend of late shows litte more than how small some supporters of AO actually are.

I have a question: Since when did a single Pens and/or Crosby fans ever feel the need to put AO down to prop Crosby up? Hell, even when the analogous situation occured over a year and a half ago onward when Malkin was coming on some and the whole Malkin is catching up to AO threads went on and on I can remember no one needing to pull AO down to make any case for Malkin. AO was always called an amazing player by everyone involved, in those threads 1 1/2 years ago and also I might add props were given to AO by Crosby supporters in every Crosby thread where AO's name was constantly inserted. Without exception.

You all are doing little more than making yourselves look like a bunch of whiney jealous tools with threads like the several - not one but several - that have sprung up doing just this of late.

Just one additional note: As for Crosby's first night, he did not score two goals, but for those who watched the game, and I was one, he did show at least to me many flashes of why he was so hyped. He early on made one amazing no look tape to tape backhanded pass springing one player that showed signs of that 'vision thing' that people talked about Crosby having. And his assist was very impressive as far as assists go, putting the puck right on Recchi's tape in front of the net. He did not have a bad game at all and showed anything but being a bust.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
because my dad can beat up your dad

as well as some people have nothing better to do

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Because the best way to combat the crosby hype is to create more threads about crosby.
:sarcasm:

type_v

Aug 3, 2005
Toronto
My guess is they're trying to make up for media coverage.

AO's accomplishments should stand on its own, and the media should be all over it.
But coverage (mostly Canadian) has nearly ignored AO when compared to Crosby.

I'd put money that if Crosby's impact had been as big as AO, we would be watching monthly top 10 plays by Crosby. Instead we're being treated with top ten crosby's favourite foods, and top 10 Crosby embarassing moments.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
Jaded - I don't think it's Crosby bashing but more of how the media is only hyping Crosby and not the other extremely talented rookies out there. But, its been like this for him since he was what 14. I just think AO supporters (myself included) just begrudge the coverage SC is getting when right now other rookies such as Vanek, Parise and AO are doing much better but you don't hear much about it.

edit: but just to add I hope SC is all that he is made out to be. It would only be good for the game and we fans need that. But I think it would help the game moreso if the media was more even keel on their coverage of the other players and not solely fixated on just one (speaking of rookies).

Last edited:

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Because that's how every message board operates. People are incapable of promoting their own favorites without putting others down in the process.

It's not like this is something new. It's always happened here. Not going to stop anytime soon either.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Can't AO's merits stand on their own without some supporters of his constantly bringing Crosby into the equation? This whole Crosby bashing trend of late shows litte more than how small some supporters of AO actually are.

I have a question: Since when did a single Pens and/or Crosby fans ever feel the need to put AO down to prop Crosby up? Hell, even when the analogous situation occured over a year and a half ago onward when Malkin was coming on some and the whole Malkin is catching up to AO threads went on and on I can remember no one needing to pull AO down to make any case for Malkin. AO was always called an amazing player by everyone involved, in those threads 1 1/2 years ago and also I might add props were given to AO by Crosby supporters in every Crosby thread where AO's name was constantly inserted. Without exception.

You all are doing little more than making yourselves look like a bunch of whiney jealous tools with threads like the several - not one but several - that have sprung up doing just this of late.

Just one additional note: As for Crosby's first night, he did not score two goals, but for those who watched the game, and I was one, he did show at least to me many flashes of why he was so hyped. He early on made one amazing no look tape to tape backhanded pass springing one player that showed signs of that 'vision thing' that people talked about Crosby having. And his assist was very impressive as far as assists go, putting the puck right on Recchi's tape in front of the net. He did not have a bad game at all and showed anything but being a bust.

I think youre starting to lose it.......that has to be the 3rd time ive seen you say something along the line of people being jealous/envious.....not sure what your point is with that, but im pretty sure every team would like to have a player like Crosby....so yes, everyone is envious.

If someone bashes Crosby, they shouldnt be taken too seriously.....but every high profile prospect gets bashed by someone on HF.....its a fact that we just have to accept.....sorry man, because I like you.....but you are whining ab out people whining

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
i think getting Crosby shoved down our throat the past year has made alot of people sick of him. It's like the Toronto Maple Leafs, i live in Canada and am sick of the coverage they get so inturn i dislike them or get negative on them. I lived in Wisconsin for a year and learned to dislike the Green Bay Packers for similar reasons.

I think the reason for the AO supporters is because alot see them at a similar level and wonder why AO gets totally ignored.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I'm a caps fan but i've never bashed crosby...the media focus is pretty hilarious but unimportant. As with anyone hyped they have to keep backing it up or the media will find someone else.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Mothra said:
I think youre starting to lose it.......that has to be the 3rd time ive seen you say something along the line of people being jealous/envious.....not sure what your point is with that, but im pretty sure every team would like to have a player like Crosby....so yes, everyone is envious.

If someone bashes Crosby, they shouldnt be taken too seriously.....but every high profile prospect gets bashed by someone on HF.....its a fact that we just have to accept.....sorry man, because I like you.....but you are whining ab out people whining

Note that I said 'some' suporters Mothra. I would not include you - or even come close to including you - in that group. You and I have gone back and forth at times but your opinions have always been well thought out, intelligent and anything but unreasonable. I would even go so far to say that I would not include most AO supporters (and most of everyone else for that matter) in that group. I merely have grown tired of the need of some to bash Crosby to prop up their own favorite son. Especially this past week there have been several of those threads.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Note that I said 'some' suporters Mothra. I would not include you - or even come close to including you - in that group. You and I have gone back and forth at times but your opinions have always been well thought out, intelligent and anything but unreasonable. I would even go so far to say that I would not include most AO supporters (and most of everyone else for that matter) in that group. I merely have grown tired of the need of some to bash Crosby to prop up their own favorite son. Especially this past week there have been several of those threads.

and you know that respect goes both ways....guess all im saying is, this nonsense wont stop....so IMO its best to just say "wow...that dude is pretty effn dumb" when he says something stupid or completely uninformed about SC/AO/EM or any of the dozens of other prospects.....we can expect many AO and SC threads this season....and you can be assured somewhere in each of them someone will post a real head scratcher.....I'm going to try to laugh it off.....wont work evey time though

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I watched this kid play last night and he will be something. He's on a team that he's currently taking a back-seat with Mario and all. And although you don't want to use the excuse that he's only eighteen, that's the reality. The kid deserves a break, he played quite well, unfortunately, for him, he went up against Marty who was on. l wish he was on my team!

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
because Crosby is on TSN's frontpage when Ovechkin scores a hat trick, while Crosby sits out the game ...

or check out NHL.com

top news about Crosby : Better luck next time

Ovechkin : his name isn't on NHL.com's home page

KariyaIsGod*

Taranis_24 said:
Jaded - I don't think it's Crosby bashing but more of how the media is only hyping Crosby and not the other extremely talented rookies out there. But, its been like this for him since he was what 14. I just think AO supporters (myself included) just begrudge the coverage SB is getting when right now other rookies such as Vanek, Parise and AO are doing much better but you don't hear much about it.

edit: but just to add I hope SB is all that he is made out to be. It would only be good for the game and we fans need that. But I think it would help the game moreso if the media was more even keel on their coverage of the other players and not solely fixated on just one (speaking of rookies).

They're doing much better afte one game where AO cashed in on a couple of presents from his teammates? :biglaugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
DrMoses said:
They're doing much better afte one game where AO cashed in on a couple of presents from his teammates? :biglaugh:

I disagree. I saw the linked highlights and they were very impressive goals. Quick release and very hard and obviously accurate shots. I have seen Mario make just the same play as AO's second goal year in and year out and never considered it to be a garbage goal just because he and AO made it look easy. Remember as well that getting alone on the doorstep is half the battle especially when you are a name player and likely have someone shadowing you. I actually expected no less from AO this year and in the years to come.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
DrMoses said:

For someone who has done nothing but hype Crosby (such as defending his laughable ranking on THN's Top 50 list) you have little room to be throwing around insults or trying to downplay everything Ovechkin does.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
DrMoses said:
i thought his goals looked alot like ilya's. everyone forgets over half of his goals last season were bombs like that - one timers. not everyone can convert "presents" like that with such authority.

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
Birko19 said:
The night is young as they say, Ovechkin scored 2 goals and Crosby put up 1 assist, we'll talk about this in 20 games from now, see you then.

Or why not 82 games?

These fools who bash Crosby after 1 game are not hockey fans. They don't know anything about hockey.

Marc Chouinard scored 3 goals last night, does that mean he'll win the Rocket Richard award? According to these Ovechkin-lovers logic, YES!

Mr.Brownov*

Why don't y'all grow up and respect the players that make up your NHL?! You can bash Sid when he gets sent back to the Q. :innocent:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Actually watching both play last night, I can now see why the Mario for AO and Gretzky for Crosby comparisons came up - noting as well how unfair to both players such lofty comparisons are. The game of AO - also noting that it was only one game - reminded me much of Mario, at least in that release and how he looked shooting the puck. It was pure skill and power that was very impressive to watch. Crosby as someone said before seems to play a more 'cerebral' game. I just did not see that canon shot though I am sure that he has that in his tool box, just not to the degree AO does. He is far more likely I think, again from one game, to just make you look silly trying to chase him and either getting by you (and three of your team mates) and scoring himself or dishing it off to a wide open team mate with a perfect pass. The comparisons to Gretz, well let us say that I can see why they were there. Neither player did anything last night to make me think anything but that they will each be very special players, but they are very different types of players. As a side note, I especially am looking forward to next year when Malkin teams up with Crosby on that power play. They are going to make a lot of goalies and defenders look silly for years to come. Final thought. AO definately could score goals in bunches this year. The bad team around him should be little hindrence. I well remember as I have pointed out in the past Mario when he first came into the league coming close to winning scoring titles as the Pens remained for years near the bottom of the standings. Crosby may suffer from having the talent around him, ironically enough, because he will not be the 'go to' guy on this team. The same thing happened with Jagr his first year with the Pens. You could see the obvious talent but he was just a cog, and a relatively small one, on a team with many more stars than him.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
Simple, headlines are Crosby loses debut, and Ovechkin strong in Caps win. Typical BS, Ovechkin has a hat trick and Crosby loses but still gets the headlines. Nonsene, as the media here could careless about Euro's unless they are diong something wrong, or just feel like bashing players like yashin. I hope for Ovechkin to dominate, and keep racking up goals and points, while Crosby does nothing. just to stick it to the candian press.

Sammy*

Kvashinator12 said:
Simple, headlines are Crosby loses debut, and Ovechkin strong in Caps win. Typical BS, Ovechkin has a hat trick and Crosby loses but still gets the headlines. Nonsene, as the media here could careless about Euro's unless they are diong something wrong, or just feel like bashing players like yashin. I hope for Ovechkin to dominate, and keep racking up goals and points, while Crosby does nothing. just to stick it to the candian press.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Yeah , that'l show them. A bunch of whiny little fanboys on a message board will be stroking themselves but thats about it.
But maybe your right. The media will crater before our very eyes & start paying homage to poor Mr. Ovechkin.
You'd think that the media is stealing from Ovechkin & his fanboys by the ridiculouness of all this.
Btw, living in "Kerry Land" exactly what Cdn media do you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad