Why Ryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
Ryan certainly has the goods to be a 2nd pick, but so does Johnson, and Anaheim already has Lupul and Perry at RW but their defence is pretty thin, so why did they take him? What does that mean for Lupul and Perry's future? Could, in a wild way of thinking, Burke decided to take advantage of Clarke's desire to have Ryan, and he will dangle him to the Flyers in hopes of getting a major return?

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
freakazoid said:
Ryan certainly has the goods to be a 2nd pick, but so does Johnson, and Anaheim already has Lupul and Perry at RW but their defence is pretty thin, so why did they take him? What does that mean for Lupul and Perry's future? Could, in a wild way of thinking, Burke decided to take advantage of Clarke's desire to have Ryan, and he will dangle him to the Flyers in hopes of getting a major return?

Burke said he was taking the best player. He said he doesn't draft for positions. He drafts the best player available and then trades for positional needs

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
RedWingFan said:
Burke said he was taking the best player. He said he doesn't draft for positions. He drafts the best player available and then trades for positional needs

Burke also said "I reserve the right to lie freely and frequently"

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
RedWingFan said:
But when the difference is slim to none, and Johnson might even be the best player of the two, isn't it a wise decision to address a need? And especially when you already have Perry and Lupul.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The Ducks scouting staff probably believes that Ryan is a fair bit better than Johnson. Could be incorrect, but the main knock on Ryan is his skating, and they've taken a few guys in the past with skating troubles(Getzlaf, Perry, for some reason I'm thinking Lupul too, but maybe not).

The Ducks' future on defense maybe isn't the greatest, but UFAs can be added, and guys can be traded for. The future at forward looks amazing, though:

Perry-Getzlaf-Ryan
Chistov-Brent(could change)-Lupul

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
freakazoid said:
But when the difference is slim to none, and Johnson might even be the best player of the two, isn't it a wise decision to address a need? And especially when you already have Perry and Lupul.

One thing I have always thought, was that the NHL and USA hockey has a thing for inline hockey and inline hockey players.

USA hockey uses it to get kids in places where ice might not be available to get more practice with the puck and the game and NHL uses it for the obvious reasons of attracting the fans.

USA has taken some borderline players, who happen to play inline as well, to International events for the sole purpose of promoting the inline agenda. (USA hockey believes that getting players who have inline roots into the "newpapers" is a way to give credibilty to inline as a way of making it to D1, AHL, NHL. More players with a stick in their hand no matter if it's on ice or sport court is a good thing for USA hockey all around)

In So Cal inline is huge and everyone who knows inline hockey knows the name Bobby Ryan. USA 87's (Ryan's Inline team) are a well known team all over the US by inline players. The Ducks basically just picked up a player who can walk into an inline arena in the So Cal area and promote the game. (There are over 6,000 inline players in the LA area) This is in my opinion the same reason why the Kings picked up So Cal native and inline player Noah Clarke a few years ago.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Entering the draft, I felt the projected 2nd-6th players (Johnson, Ryan, Pouliot, Brule and Kopitar on most lists) were very close. I thought Anaheim would go with Johnson, who has the potential to be an all-star d-man, but they went with Ryan instead. One thing Burke said is Ryan gave an incredible series of interviews. Character may have something to do with it.

He also put up great numbers on a talented Owen Sound team. His skating isn't going to invoke memories of a young Mark Messier, but a lot of the things we're saying right now are the same things we said about Rick Nash three years ago. In fact, the scouting reports are very similar. Nash has worked hard on his skating, and while it won't be his forte, it's no longer a hinderance. I think the Ducks are hoping for similar results for Ryan.

beeker16

Jun 19, 2003
RedWingFan said:
One thing I have always thought, was that the NHL and USA hockey has a thing for inline hockey and inline hockey players.

USA hockey uses it to get kids in places where ice might not be available to get more practice with the puck and the game and NHL uses it for the obvious reasons of attracting the fans.

USA has taken some borderline players, who happen to play inline as well, to International events for the sole purpose of promoting the inline agenda. (USA hockey believes that getting players who have inline roots into the "newpapers" is a way to give credibilty to inline as a way of making it to D1, AHL, NHL. More players with a stick in their hand no matter if it's on ice or sport court is a good thing for USA hockey all around)

In So Cal inline is huge and everyone who knows inline hockey knows the name Bobby Ryan. USA 87's (Ryan's Inline team) are a well known team all over the US by inline players. The Ducks basically just picked up a player who can walk into an inline arena in the So Cal area and promote the game. (There are over 6,000 inline players in the LA area) This is in my opinion the same reason why the Kings picked up So Cal native and inline player Noah Clarke a few years ago.

That's a great theory and I have to agree with it.
I recall one summer, ESPN televised inline hockey from CA.

I heard the name Dejardins and thought "WTF!? Eric is playing?" and saw it was someone else. Started watching and dug it. Especially the sloped boards/halfpipe wall behind the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->