Why retooling is the best option for the Habs

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I am pretty happy with the new players who came on the rooster this year: Mete, Juulsen, Hudon, Lindgren and Scherback.
I see Hudon and Scherback as top-9 for sure.
As for Mete and Juulsen, they can certainly be part of a top-4.

All these players are true NHL'rs. That is 5 of them out of 23.

Also if we sign Jerabek this summer it can bring us a #6-7 d-men until Brook/Fleury/Lernout are ready.

Problem remains the same: we need a first line center and as far as we can see, Poehling looks like a second line center and it seems there is no first line center in the draft this year. Unless Kupari, Kotkaniemi or Velono?
If we could do it, maybe we could trade down and get a first line center: our 1st for Florida 1st and Borgstrom.
We could end up with:
  • Borgstrom,
  • Kupari/Kotkaniemi/Velono,
  • Poehling,
  • Ikonen

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
This person writes like a 17 year old and knows nothing about hockey. Only goes by reputation of the players

"The Habs also have Noah Juulsen and Brett Lernout on the verge of breaking into the league, as well as prospects Cale Fleury and Josh Brook in the pipe line. Add all of these pieces to a group lead by future hall of fame rear guard Shea Weber, the Canadiens defence is set for years to come."

Knows nothing

Yea ok sure

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was about to puke in my mouth by reading the title. No way I’m going to open that link and read that garbage.

Yeah but look at the comedy angle. So many gems in this thread. Coming on the rooster is now a thing.

Reactions: the

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
With no major chances I still would expect us in the playoffs next year.

Price alone usually suffices for that.

But playoffs is not good enough. We want a better shot at the cup.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
You guys are way to negative geez you probably would have said the same about Colorado last year. Way too emotional.... “price is done” “Weber is done” “no prospects”... so unoriginal...of course, we are in the basement but it’s not thaaaaaaat bad in terms of long term projections. I love it how people say “we need 3 huge trades that we need to win and 3 huge drafts just to be somewhat of a contender again” so arbitrary lol. That came right out of thin air based on nothing....Bergevin is not all bad. Every GM will lose a trade. The Weber one was bad but it’s not like he is worthless now. Danault trade, Vanek trade, petry trade all pretty big wins for him still or at the time

Those who say price is paid too much, if MB didn’t sign him to that, and he walked, you would have been the first to wine. Bottom line, you guys are way too emotional. We have many good young players under 25. Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, lehkonen, hudon, poehling, juulsen, mete, lindgren. Is that a contender on its own? Of course not, but it’s a pretty good start. Many picks coming up, one of which will bery good.

MB is clearing the olders guys who he should be. Plekanec, Pacioretty, Benn, Byron are probably all gone soon enough.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
This person writes like a 17 year old and knows nothing about hockey. Only goes by reputation of the players

"The Habs also have Noah Juulsen and Brett Lernout on the verge of breaking into the league, as well as prospects Cale Fleury and Josh Brook in the pipe line. Add all of these pieces to a group lead by future hall of fame rear guard Shea Weber, the Canadiens defence is set for years to come."

Knows nothing

Yea ok sure

What these people don’t realise is that you could write this fluff for every team in the league.

Everyone has prospects, every club can be a force if every part of development, trades and free agency signing goes exactly to plan.

Reactions: MaxPacwhereishe

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
We have many good young players under 25. Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, lehkonen, hudon, poehling, juulsen, mete, lindgren. Is that a contender on its own? Of course not, but it’s a pretty good start. Many picks coming up, one of which will bery good.
Every damn team in the NHL has that. .

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Used to think it's wasn't bad. Without any bluechip prospect, #1 center, weak defense and the leaders of this group getting older though, it's an other story. This team was trending upwards with prime Price, Subban and Pacioretty and clearly downwards since this season. The loss of Radulov didn't help but I can't see this team being competitive anymore with the current group. Bergevin may feel differently but I sense this fanbase is tired of the Canadiens being average. Do yeah, it is as bad as it seems.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
giphy.gif

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Montreal Canadiens Re-tool Rather than Rebuild - Last Word on Hockey

Honestly, I feel they are set at every position other than centre. They could add another Dman to play with Weber, which hopefully is Dahlin. Anyone else feel this way? Or are most just wanting to tear it all down and rebuild?
We've been retooling for the last 20+ years and where did it lead us?
What is wrong with going for a 3 years minimun full tank and rebuild?
Not only we suck, our AHL team suck, but we are extremly boring.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
We've been retooling for the last 20+ years and where did it lead us?
What is wrong with going for a 3 years minimun full tank and rebuild?
Not only we suck, our AHL team suck, but we are extremly boring.

Because I honestly don't feel we are that far off. I feel we can win now with Price and Weber still able to produce. Edmonton has tanked for years and are still failing. It's never a sure thing even if you tank. But the team right now has a good core and are just needing to address the centre position. IF they are able to sign JT and trade Pacioretty to acquire another, you have a better group then you would have even with a tank.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
"The Habs have a very serviceable defence group"
giphy.gif

How are they not? If they drop the scraps such as Benn and Schlemko, there is nothing wrong with this D core. They could potentially add another piece to play with Weber, but at the moment for me its:
Mete-Weber
Reilly-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
Lernout

I don't see an issue with this D. There is the possibility of Dahlin being added there, which would end up pushing Reilly out or Alzner if someone would take his contract (unlikely)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->