Why Red Kelly's Number Hasn't Been Retired Yet?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Kelly made an enemy of Detroit management:

wikipedia said:
Late in the 1959 season, Kelly broke his ankle. However, the Red Wings kept the injury a secret, and Kelly played through the pain as the Red Wings missed the playoffs for the first time in 21 years. However, midway through the next season, a reporter asked Kelly why he'd been off his game for much of 1959. Kelly replied, "Don't know. Might have been the ankle." When Red Wings general manager Jack Adams got wind of the story, he was furious, and immediately brokered a four-player deal in which Kelly was sent to the New York Rangers. However, Kelly scuttled the deal when he announced he would retire rather than go to New York. Maple Leafs head coach Punch Imlach stepped in and tried to talk Kelly into playing for him. Though he disliked Maple Leaf Gardens and as a young player was disappointed by the scathing assessment of that Toronto scout, Kelly agreed to be traded to the Leafs.

Pretty petty IMO, as Kelly was at that point the second best player to ever put on a Red Wings uniform.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Kelly made an enemy of Detroit management:

Pretty petty IMO, as Kelly was at that point the second best player to ever put on a Red Wings uniform.
Having learned about this only now, reading that, I think I take Kelly's side. Jack Adams presumably being dead and gone a long time ago and all, I have a hard time believing that would be the deciding factor regarding his number retirement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad