Why Pens and why not Caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
What is so different between this two teams? I mean, on paper and in regular season they are equal. And after last 2 season maybe the Caps are a little bit better. But when it comes to playoffs, Caps are done very quickly.
Its Crosby really such a difference maker? Even if is he injured?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I believe that it's because Pittsburgh's best winger anchors the third line while the top two lines are anchored by centers. You can have success with a gamebreaking winger anchoring your first or second lines but if you run in to another team that has a true 1C and true 1D to match up against that line, that other team not only can snuff out your winger line, they can still generate offense.

Kings vs. Hawks, 2013 WCF - both teams have good defense corps with Kings having a goaltending edge. However the Hawks top six has Hossa centered by Toews on the first line and Kane centered by Bolland on the second line. Kings go down in a decisive five games.

Kings vs. Hawks, 2014 WCF - both teams have good d corps although not as deep as in previous years and the goaltending is about even. Chicago does not have Bolland and struggles to find a center all year for Kane on the second line. LA moves Carter to center on their second line, making the That 70's Line. Chicago's first line is still Hossa and Toews but the Kings add a healthy for once Gaborik to Kopitar. Kings in 7, barely.

Both teams have very talented wingers in their top six but adding the 2nd 1C (Carter) to the second line gave LA the advantage over Chicago.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I believe that it's because Pittsburgh's best winger anchors the third line while the top two lines are anchored by centers. You can have success with a gamebreaking winger anchoring your first or second lines but if you run in to another team that has a true 1C and true 1D to match up against that line, that other team not only can snuff out your winger line, they can still generate offense.

Kings vs. Hawks, 2013 WCF - both teams have good defense corps with Kings having a goaltending edge. However the Hawks top six has Hossa centered by Toews on the first line and Kane centered by Bolland on the second line. Kings go down in a decisive five games.

Kings vs. Hawks, 2014 WCF - both teams have good d corps although not as deep as in previous years and the goaltending is about even. Chicago does not have Bolland and struggles to find a center all year for Kane on the second line. LA moves Carter to center on their second line, making the That 70's Line. Chicago's first line is still Hossa and Toews but the Kings add a healthy for once Gaborik to Kopitar. Kings in 7, barely.

Both teams have very talented wingers in their top six but adding the 2nd 1C (Carter) to the second line gave LA the advantage over Chicago.

Just addressing the bolded part...

What?

Our lines vs the Caps in Game 7...

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Kunitz, Malkin, Kessel
Sheary, Bonino, Hornqvist
Wilson, Cullen, Rowney

I mean, that top 9 is very balanced, Guentzel leads all players in goals. Which one are you saying is our best winger?

Hornqvist? Kessel? Guentzel? Mr. Clutch? Shears?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The caps have never had a good coach.

Yeah, besides you know...the 6th most winning-est coach in NHL history behind their bench currently. Even Boudreau, mock him all you like, is a .658 winning percentage coach (458-217 record). It's the playoffs that both are sub .500, in Trotz's case, the guy never made it out of the 2nd round before even with the Preds as well.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Between the ears.

It has been a perfect storm of OV going to a team with historical playoff woes, especially to the Pens, who drafted the player who ultimately knows how to win.

That is why it has been a nightmare for the Caps. When will that go away is the question.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Just addressing the bolded part...

What?

Our lines vs the Caps in Game 7...

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Kunitz, Malkin, Kessel
Sheary, Bonino, Hornqvist
Wilson, Cullen, Rowney

I mean, that top 9 is very balanced, Guentzel leads all players in goals. Which one are you saying is our best winger?

Hornqvist? Kessel? Guentzel? Mr. Clutch? Shears?

First, we're not debating the lineup for one game. The Pens had to win three games and the previous series to even get to game 7. Second, I am referring to Kessel. Just because a player has more goals at the moment, doesn't make him the best player.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
I think all the excuses here are BS.

This year either team could have taken it. It was a game of inches. The dice just rolled in Pittsburgh favor.

Exactly like how the dice rolled for edmonton in the lotto draft. Sometimes this just happens.

I don't fault Holtby on that first goal at all. Pittsburgh pulled an amazing play out of their ass, and when Washington tried to do it...they flubbed it. Pittsburgh doesn't always make that play and Washington doesn't always flub it. But last night that's what happened.

I feel bad for Washington as that's gotta sting.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Please use one of the many existing threads - including the one that you bumped in the History forum - to discuss this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad