Sportsnet Why Patrice Bergeron is still underappreciated

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is a great read

Why Boston Bruins star Patrice Bergeron is still underappreciated

After mulling it for a couple seconds, Scott Gordon came up with two possible answers to the question Patrice Bergeron’s coaches rarely have to ask themselves: “What the hell is Bergy doing?”

When Gordon had Bergeron with the American Hockey League’s Providence Bruins in 2004–05, the latter was an NHL-proven talent with no big league to play in thanks to a work stoppage that obliterated the entire season. As such, Bergeron was down on the farm ensuring that when labour peace was struck, he’d be even better than the 18-year-old version who’d surprisingly pushed his way onto the Boston Bruins as a second-round draft pick a season earlier. Gordon was already convinced Bergeron had a bright future. Among other things, he’d observed the youngster jump-start the Baby Bruins’ sagging power play when they tried him on the point. Perhaps most impressively, Bergeron displayed zero sense of entitlement after a year of chartered flights and five-star hotels in the NHL.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
When he chooses to close out his career (15 years from now :laugh:) I envision him immediately stepping into a role within the B`s. He appears to be not just great at the game, but a student of the game and I`m not sure it`s unrealistic to see him, if he`s interested, being a Hockey Ops guy

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I’ll admit it, when they resigned him to the current contract, I was shaking my head. I felt he was a risk because of the concussions. They went out on the limb to sign him and were correct. Glad I was wrong. The kid is a gamer and a true Bruin. He reminds me of Bourque. French Canadian who reaps work ethic and should be in the rafters eventually.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
When he chooses to close out his career (15 years from now :laugh:) I envision him immediately stepping into a role within the B`s. He appears to be not just great at the game, but a student of the game and I`m not sure it`s unrealistic to see him, if he`s interested, being a Hockey Ops guy
His son will be a Bruin should he choose to pursue hockey.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Been pumping his tires since he was a junior. Was very glad he made Team Canada in 2010 and it's been getting better since.
Had he not gotten hurt, I'd have him as my Hart winner though it's tough to ignore what Hall did.

Anyway, I didn't read but I always think these guys are underappreciated because they don't put up gaudy numbers or show up on the Play of the Day very often.
But people who know what they're looking at, know. He's simply an awesome hockey player.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Its funny, but I became a fan of Bergeron the person before I did Bergeron the player. My buddy the other day looked at me and said "Bergy is such a special player" and I looked at him, laughed and said "No, Bergy is a special person."

I've already told my wife that the only way I don't go to Bergy's last home game and the retiring of his number, is if I'm dead.

Bruin1970

Feb 23, 2018
I would say it's because of where he plays. If he was in Toronto or Montreal in Canada- or New York/LA in the US, he would be treated like Jeter.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Its funny, but I became a fan of Bergeron the person before I did Bergeron the player. My buddy the other day looked at me and said "Bergy is such a special player" and I looked at him, laughed and said "No, Bergy is a special person."

I've already told my wife that the only way I don't go to Bergy's last home game and the retiring of his number, is if I'm dead.
That is going to be one extremely popular game. And expensive :laugh:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
When I saw the article I was like eh?

Bergeron is highly respected around the league/non Bruins fans

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Good article.

I think the point about his humility is what makes him a great person and player.

He doesn’t let the awards, praise etc go to his head-he just goes out and plays the game.

I think he’s under appreciated for his non defensive play-and sometimes for just how good he is in all facets of the game-but that under appreciation comes from other team’s fans.

I think players, coaches, media and anyone connected to hockey knows just how amazing he is.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
He should reach 1000 games next season, in his....37th game. :) Cool how that worked out!

Reactions: PB37

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
My life's biggest regret is misplacing a limited edition signed Patrice Bergeron rookie card ( one of 200 ) that i had bought off of someone from this board back in 05. I lost it during a move a couple of years back and I've thought about it every day since. Drives me crazy that i can't find it. It was the crown jewel of my hockey card collection.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
My life's biggest regret is misplacing a limited edition signed Patrice Bergeron rookie card ( one of 200 ) that i had bought off of someone from this board back in 05. I lost it during a move a couple of years back and I've thought about it every day since. Drives me crazy that i can't find it. It was the crown jewel of my hockey card collection.
I have not so much as one card of his. :( I really should get some sort of collectible something. :laugh:

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
I remember he lived in my town during his Rookie/Sophmore years. He was living with LaPointe, every so often we'd run into the blond haired french stud looking lost roaming the neighborhood. Lapointe was a great guy too, I wonder how much living with him effected Bergeron early on.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
When I saw the article I was like eh?

Bergeron is highly respected around the league/non Bruins fans
I don't think respect is a question, but I still think he's underrated, as crazy as that may seem. He's arguably the best defensive forward of all-time and he's putting up a point per game now with a pretty even mix of goal-scoring and playmaking. Most fans around the league still see him as the best or one of the best two-way forwards, when realistically, he should be right near the top of everyone's top player lists.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I remember he lived in my town during his Rookie/Sophmore years. He was living with LaPointe, every so often we'd run into the blond haired french stud looking lost roaming the neighborhood. Lapointe was a great guy too, I wonder how much living with him effected Bergeron early on.
:laugh: that blonde hair though...yuck.

I'm sad that I didn't really follow his career until 2013. I've seen a few YouTube goal highlights from his earliest years but that's about it. It was fun reading early threads about him on this board until they ditched them all in the great purge. :(

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I remember when I was open to moving him for Chris Pronger in the late 2000's (the rumor at the time)

100% glad and grateful they didn't.

One of my favorite players by far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad