Why Ovi is actually Brett Hull

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Surface level they appear the same, but Ovi played in a significantly lower scoring era. The league scoring for Hull didn't decrease until his age-32 season.

League avg Scoring
Ovi 20-352.85
Hull 23-323.4
Hull 33-392.66
Hull 3yr peak3.54
Ovi 3yr peak2.84
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I can't remember if I recall correctly, but I believe Hull has the best era-adjusted goal total in the history of the league. Either way, if you took both of their careers, and adjusted to 3.74 goals/gp (the highest Hull had in a year he played, and used the highest for simplicity of adjusting), and adjusted to 82 games:

Adj Goals Adj Points
Hull98 Ovi 163
Ovi87 Ovi 151
Hull85 Hull 149
Ovi75 Ovi 147
Hull75 Hull 132
Ovi75 Ovi 132
Ovi75 Ovi 130
Ovi74 Hull 127
Ovi73 Ovi 118
Ovi72 Hull 118
Ovi72 Ovi 117
Hull67 Hull 116
Ovi64 Ovi 113
Ovi64 Hull 113
Hull62 Hull 113
Hull62 Ovi 112
Ovi62 Ovi 112
Hull60 Hull 112
Ovi58 Hull 111
Ovi57 Ovi 110
Hull57 Hull 107
Hull57 Hull 107
Hull55 Hull 107
Ovi55 Ovi 102
Hull52 Hull 100
Hull48 Ovi 100
Ovi45 Ovi 99
Ovi45 Ovi 94
Hull43 Ovi 93
Hull43 Hull 90
Hull41 Hull 88
Hull37 Hull 83
Hull34 Hull 81
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Other than Hull's one amazing goalscoring season, Ovi blows him out of the water after that. As far as points go, Ovi beats him there pretty comfortably too. I know adjusting based on league averages isn't perfect, but it's the best that can be done. Someone already posted the goal/point finishes and awards, and those obviously speak for themselves as well.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Yeah this isn't a great comparison. Hull was a one-dimensional player who had his best seasons in a seriously inflated scoring era. He was great at what he did, no doubt, but he benefitted from the era and elite setup men. He is probably the most overrated player of all time. A better comparable for Hull is Laine.

Ovechkin is just a far more rounded player who has a much greater impact on his team. I would also say he's even better than Hull at the one thing Hull did well - goal scoring. In fact, accounting for eras it's not even close.
This is a very poor take and a horrible comparison. Brett Hull is one of the greatest goalscorers in NHL history and has peak seasons that rival OV's, in terms of goalscoring prowess. Laine is an entitled kid who can't string together elite seasons without getting into arguments with his coaches and teammates. Laine can't even hold Hull's jockstrap.

And Ovechkin is not "far more rounded". Outside of the difference in hitting, Ovechkin doesn't really have more facets to his game than Hull. Both players are not what I would call well-rounded. Now, Ovechkin's career (top 10-20) is significantly better than Hull's (top 70-80) but that's not because Hull was some overrated goal suck or because Ovechkin is some well-rounded, two-way beast.

I actually think this is a good comparison. Peak OV was more like Bobby but post-2010 OV wasn't too disimilar to Brett.

Last edited:

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I am guessing every single one of those 20 SHGs Hull scored was him stepping out of the box and catching a breakaway pass from the red line.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
This is a very poor take and a horrible comparison. Brett Hull is one of the greatest goalscorers in NHL history and has peak seasons that rival OV's, in terms of goalscoring prowess. Laine is an entitled kid who can't string together elite seasons without getting into arguments with his coaches and teammates. Laine can't even hold Hull's jockstrap.

And Ovechkin is not "far more rounded". Outside of the difference in hitting, Ovechkin doesn't really have more facets to his game than Hull. Both players are not what I would call well-rounded. Now, Ovechkin's career (top 10-20) is significantly better than Hull's (top 70-80) but that's not because Hull was some overrated goal suck or not because Ovechkin is some well-rounded, two-way beast.

I actually think this is a good comparison. Peak OV was more like Bobby but post-2010 OV wasn't too disimilar to Brett.

Exactly [emboldened]. I can already visualize the narrative when Ovechkin retires about him being a complete player which we all know is hogwash.

I'm pretty sure Brett Hull had an aversion to EN goals as well. If he somehow was on the ice with an empty net he would rather pass it off then get an EN goal and had over 500 or 600 career goals before he ever got one. I may be remembering this wrong though.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
OvechkinHull
Rockets9 (and counting)3
Top 3 in Goals11 (and counting)4
Top 5 in Goals13 (and counting)4
Top 10 in Goals14 (and counting)8
Hart Trophies31
Hart Trophy Finalist53
Art Ross10
Top 3 in Points51
Top 10 in Points83
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I suppose the answer is a hard no on this one.
Hull played with Gretzky, Lemieux and Jagr. 3 of the greatest offensive players in Hockey history. Going to be hard to top those players. Ovi has easier competition to deal with. Yes Gretzky and Lemieux are way better than Mcdavid and Draisytl

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Peak Ovi is Bobby.

Post-2010 Ovi is Brett.

I'm inclined to believe that Oates had significant influence on his transformation as a player and probably encouraged him to adopt some of Hull's tendencies and use some of his tricks. It was in 2013 that he really reinvented himself as a player (effectively anyway) and he had Oates (Brett's former setup man) as his coach then.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
It's pretty humorous to me how little respect Hull seems to get. It makes no sense, to me, that anytime you hear Hull, they're always talking about his dad. The guy had freaking 86 goals in a season. How many goals would you expect the "perfect goal scorer" to get? 31 goals more than second place? That's insane. Brett Hull was flat out money.

Think about this. Over a 3 season stretch, Brett Hull scored 228 goals in 231 games and had 353 points. He lost his goal per game... during that third season where he had... wait for it... 70 goals in 73 games... As a kid, I started watching the Blues after this stretch. I didn't even realize he had seasons like this, until I was an adult, and despite that... I couldn't envision how he could be any better of a goal scorer when he was "just scoring 50+." When it came to scoring, the guy was so close to perfection that it really makes no sense to slander the guy, because NO ONE could be that much better than him...

Put some respect on the son... Even when Gretzky played on the Blues, whether older or not, not only was I talking Hull over him every day, but the next season? Give me Turgeon, too. Preference or not, not a huge difference then. Losing Hull was a bigger hit than losing Gretzky...

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Hull played with Gretzky, Lemieux and Jagr. 3 of the greatest offensive players in Hockey history. Going to be hard to top those players. Ovi has easier competition to deal with. Yes Gretzky and Lemieux are way better than Mcdavid and Draisytl
Hull was top 3 in goals 4 times vs Ovie 11 times. So thats not an argument.

as I mentioned in my last post, Gretzky was not the goalscorer he was during Hull's prime (89-97 or so), Hull was beaten out by guys like Selanne/Mogilny, Bure, Mario once, Tkachuk, and Bondra twice. Hull then never scored 40+ after 96-97.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
How many hits did Brett Hull throw out?
I can tell you the first fight he ever got in was against Dave Gagner. Can't remember exactly what year, doesn't matter. What does matter is that despite clearly dropping the gloves and exchanging several punches, he (and Gagner) only got a double minor for it.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia

I think it’s fair to add caveats for Gretzky, Mario, and Jagr - but look at the top 5/10 goal and point finishes. It’s hard to argue that ovechkin isn’t more comparatively dominant than hull was. And while he doesn’t compete against 99 and 66, it isn’t like ovechkin has run roughshod over a league of scrubs these days.

I think time will add perpsective to ovechkins accomplishments and career when he retires with over 800 goals and no one else comes close to that for a long time. Less than 10 active players have over 400 career goals and only one other has over 500 (and Marleau is on his last legs). Ovechkin has 724 - and is still good.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It's pretty humorous to me how little respect Hull seems to get. It makes no sense, to me, that anytime you hear Hull, they're always talking about his dad. The guy had freaking 86 goals in a season. How many goals would you expect the "perfect goal scorer" to get? 31 goals more than second place? That's insane. Brett Hull was flat out money.

Think about this. Over a 3 season stretch, Brett Hull scored 228 goals in 231 games and had 353 points. He lost his goal per game... during that third season where he had... wait for it... 70 goals in 73 games... As a kid, I started watching the Blues after this stretch. I didn't even realize he had seasons like this, until I was an adult, and despite that... I couldn't envision how he could be any better of a goal scorer when he was "just scoring 50+." When it came to scoring, the guy was so close to perfection that it really makes no sense to slander the guy, because NO ONE could be that much better than him...

Put some respect on the son... Even when Gretzky played on the Blues, whether older or not, not only was I talking Hull over him every day, but the next season? Give me Turgeon, too. Preference or not, not a huge difference then. Losing Hull was a bigger hit than losing Gretzky...

The short version is team Canada snubbed Brett so he played for USA the rest of his career. Canadian fans booed him all the time and have always held a grudge. The fans should have been mad at the management who snubbed him but oh well...

I’m a billion % sure had played for a Canadian team (as well as team Canada) he would get a lot more hype

Reactions: SC2GM

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I’ve watched both and Ovy is way better than Hull. Hull was as one dimensional as one dimensional gets. Ovy can actually skate, hit, forecheck, complete the odd nice pass. Hull happened to play with the perfect line mate to compliment his one dimension. He then moved on to a stacked team in Dallas and played triggerman on the PP. The guy couldn’t make it work with Gretzky. Ovy creates on his own. Different tier of player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad