Why Not Protest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
madashell.jpg

I don't have to tell you things are bad.

Everybody knows things are bad.

It's a depression. Crosby playing with Kunitz and Dupris, no one is playing defense, Letang looks like Lestink, and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. Disco's system is predictable and failing, again, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the Gladams, KCD, Lestink and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, God damn it! My life has VALUE!' So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the Disco sucks and the Gladams and the KCD crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

I almost did.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The best you're going to get is me joining something online, and I've abandoned facebook and never liked twitter.

I boycott stuff, that's the way of my family.

Someone make one of those White House petitions.

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
I know this thread has turned into a mocking session of me for the most part because you guys are taking my idea to an extreme but all I ask is that you humor the idea. I don't see why it is okay to have 20 threads on the front page that say "Why doesn't Bylsma do this" and "Why doesn't Shero trade for him" and imagine near impossible trade scenarios, but the idea of a protest is so insane. It is simple economics, if a majority of people stop purchasing Penguins products and stop buying tickets, the organization has to do something. ****, I even thought the idea of protest-tailgate would even be fun. There isn't going to be any change in Pittsburgh Hockey until Mario's mind is changed by the fans. Shero and DB are in a partnership together and the only one that can end it is Mario.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm not so sure about that. Fans used to cheer when they announced his name after the starting lineup; this years is been silent. It's not full on bash line on these boards but I think general opinion is turning to a degree.

I don't go to many game so i don't know who there cheering for, but the only person i hear taking heat from the pens right now is Geno.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I know this thread has turned into a mocking session of me for the most part because you guys are taking my idea to an extreme but all I ask is that you humor the idea. I don't see why it is okay to have 20 threads on the front page that say "Why doesn't Bylsma do this" and "Why doesn't Shero trade for him" and imagine near impossible trade scenarios, but the idea of a protest is so insane. It is simple economics, if a majority of people stop purchasing Penguins products and stop buying tickets, the organization has to do something. ****, I even thought the idea of protest-tailgate would even be fun. There isn't going to be any change in Pittsburgh Hockey until Mario's mind is changed by the fans. Shero and DB are in a partnership together and the only one that can end it is Mario.

Your idea is flawed. The number of people that would have to be involved makes it incredibly unlikely, these things rarely, if ever, gain momentum; then the Pens would have to care. Protests for bigger issues don't work, real world issues.

Reality. Most fans are "bandwagon" fans (it's a stupid term), they won't give a ****. Therefore the profit remains okay. What would force a change is the piss poor performance driving away a significant portion of the bandwagon fans, or management thinking it will, that would facilitate a change. I've said it before, what will bring a change is when people start thinking they don't care about winning the cup, because that will impact profit. You don't **** with image for that reason. People support a winner, they rarely support a loser and the Pens aren't far removed from that.

A protest won't do what them sucking will do.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
Your idea is flawed. The number of people that would have to be involved makes it incredibly unlikely, these things rarely, if ever, gain momentum; then the Pens would have to care. Protests for bigger issues don't work, real world issues.

Reality. Most fans are "bandwagon" fans (it's a stupid term), they won't give a ****. Therefore the profit remains okay. What would force a change is the piss poor performance driving away a significant portion of the bandwagon fans, or management thinking it will, that would facilitate a change. I've said it before, what will bring a change is when people start thinking they don't care about winning the cup, because that will impact profit. You don't **** with image for that reason. People support a winner, they rarely support a loser and the Pens aren't far removed from that.

A protest won't do what them sucking will do.

Plus don't forget nearly all the sports writers in this city are a bunch of nonobjective suck ups who, once they catch wind of any protest, will immediately write an article saying how those fans are wrong the whole while tiptoeing around the points the fans are making. they're whole rebuttal is "well they're fans so they don't know what they're talking about." Then the Pens will see that article and take it for truth over anything the fans say.

Ally22

Jul 3, 2013
Your best bet would to start a #FireBylsma campaign on Twitter but like most have already said most people are fairweather fans and just simply don't care enough to do anything. Waitin on the world to change and all that good stuff

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Seriously, a protest? Some people don't have time to protest because of, you know, jobs, school, family, social life, hobbies, sleeping, eating, life in general, more important things.

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
Seriously, a protest? Some people don't have time to protest because of, you know, jobs, school, family, social life, hobbies, sleeping, eating, life in general, more important things.

Once again, I don't get this. You are just trying to sound superior. In reality, you have about 9000 posts on a discussion board on the internet AND spend time following a sports team YET having a tailgate picnic sort of protest on ONE DAY is time you don't have for a sport you are passionate about. This doesn't check out. I am sorry.

Penguinzilla*

And last game Bortuzzo was horrible, and I'm one of his biggest supporters. Unlike some want to believe, I actually can objective when the evidence supports it.

Like all Penguins defensemen, he will continually get worse under Bylsma

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
For those saying Shero has tied himself at the hip to Bylsma -- I think he likes the guy, but he did just hire Martin as an assistant. Bylsma's shiny extension is, I hope, Shero's way of shaking the guy's hand with a smile, all the while holding a gun to Bylsma's head with the other. Turn this ship around, or else.

The problem with all of this is, even if it were true, it's complicated by the Olympics this year. Shero is assistant GM at Sochi for which Byslma is the coach...it'd be beyond awkward to fire the guy before then.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Once again, I don't get this. You are just trying to sound superior. In reality, you have about 9000 posts on a discussion board on the internet AND spend time following a sports team YET having a tailgate picnic sort of protest on ONE DAY is time you don't have for a sport you are passionate about. This doesn't check out. I am sorry.

There's a pretty big difference between posting on the internet in your off time, or to spend a whole day camping. Not everyone is from downtown Pittsburgh.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
People want to protest the team over a 3 game losing streak? I hardly find a 3 game losing streak inexcusable when the last two games have been played without two big minute top 4 D (Martin and Scuderi) and while the team's two biggest stars (Crosby and Malkin) have been slumping during that time. The combination of those things is almost certainly going to lead to a skid.

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
There's a pretty big difference between posting on the internet in your off time, or to spend a whole day camping. Not everyone is from downtown Pittsburgh.

I agree, I am not from downtown Pittsburgh either. All I am trying to say is, if you have enough time to post 5000, 6000, 7000, 8000 plus posts on an internet message board and follow a team through an 82 game season, why is the prospect of spending a day camped out protesting so foreign? You saw the guy who replied to me, right? I just don't get how one can attempt to sound superior like they have important things to do and a day of being camped out somewhere is below them and a waste of time when they have spent immense amount of time supporting this team and posting about it on a message board. The fact that you have enough time to post thousands of comments and watch hundreds of games is testament to the fact that in theory you could spend a day being camped somewhere on a weekend.

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
People want to protest the team over a 3 game losing streak? I hardly find a 3 game losing streak inexcusable when the last two games have been played without two big minute top 4 D (Martin and Scuderi) and while the team's two biggest stars (Crosby and Malkin) have been slumping during that time. The combination of those things is almost certainly going to lead to a skid.

No, apparently just me. This is the problem with our fan base. It is always a 3 game skid or something and they act like it is isolated. No, I want Bylsma fired for 4 years of playoff embarrassment, not playing players on the roster that deserve to play, lack of in game strategy, lack of disciplinary action for players that don't play well, horribly run practices, and refusal to switch lines up.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The fact that you have enough time to post thousands of comments and watch hundreds of games is testament to the fact that in theory you could spend a day being camped somewhere on a weekend.

Yeah but the thing is... they won't care.

The only way they would is if the turnout were large. And it won't be. Look at that walkout thingie some Pirates fans tried to do years ago. That turned out to be a little humiliating. And I'm not belittling the Penguins' issues (I think changes are desperately needed, too) here... but the Pirates back then were much worse off and fan ire was far, far higher.

We're a minority in Penguins fandom. I notice that there is more and more uneasiness even from casual fans, in recent years but not enough to effect change.

Plus... people are simply lazy and apathetic. I would explain why but I don't feel like it.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I have seen this done in many sports, including Hockey. Why don't all of you in the Pittsburgh area gather together and tailgate outside Consol Energy Center and make some hotdogs and hold up signs about how you are pissed off with the team and especially Bylsma. Get on the local news. Will it terminate Bylsma on the spot? No, but it will let everyone know you are pissed. Mario lives in Pittsburgh, so do all the players. If you can gather a sizable amount of people through here, facebook, and your own groups of friends, you really could get noticed. I don't live in Pittsburgh but I love my Pittsburgh sports teams dearly and if I could I would definitely do this. Make some of the emphasis on "we won't buy tickets until Bylsma is fired." The money might be enough to illicit a reaction. It is just an idea, but I think you guys should take it seriously. This organization is the exact kind of organization you need to protest, an organization that makes the same mistakes years in a row and may honestly be wrapped up in their own thoughts, like DB, and think we all enjoy watching.

Americans don't even do this for things that matter: the electoral process sold off to the highest bidder by the Supreme Court, NSA spying on half the God-damned country with the help of corporate dirtbags like Verizon and Facebook (oh, sorry... that did draw about 1082 people to the capital recently... a massive display of citizen power!), $4.50 gas where about $1.50 of it goes to Wall St. middle men... what the hell makes you think they'll do it to get a hockey coach fired? I mean if you were talking football... MAYbe.

Then again, maybe the problem is we love sports way more than the stuff that matters. You could be onto something here. ;)

I'll believe it when I see it. Americans are apathetic lazy-***** when it comes to protesting. As a nation, uber-SOFF. And Disappoint. So disappoint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->