Why not Kucherov or Namestnikov?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
When i saw the brutal injury to Steven Stamkos, i though, now its the time for Kucherov.
12 goals in 13 AHL games, that screams for a call-up. What a surprise for me and imsure also for the player, he is not welcome in NHL. Why that? Stamkos - sniper, so the logic says, we need a sniper for replacement.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
When i saw the brutal injury to Steven Stamkos, i though, now its the time for Kucherov.
12 goals in 13 AHL games, that screams for a call-up. What a surprise for me and imsure also for the player, he is not welcome in NHL. Why that? Stamkos - sniper, so the logic says, we need a sniper for replacement.

A few reasons actually:

1) J.T. Brown has been waiting longer and is a more NHL ready player at this point.

2) Yzerman doesn't like to pull prospects from the minors before they are ready. If he can, he will keep Kucherov down in the AHL until next season.

3) When a player like Steven Stamkos gets injured, there is not a single player you can bring up to replace his production. Kucherov may also be a sniper, but he is not (and most likely never will be) on Stamkos' level. The best thing to do in this situation is to depend on great goaltending and tighten up the defense, which makes JT the best player for the job since he brings a solid two-way game with a lot of speed.

Kucherov will definitely get his chance next season, or maybe even later this season, but now is not the time for him in my opinion.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not really surprising. Yzerman didn't pull up Connolly either until near the very end. He likes for the youngsters to get a full AHL season under their belt before tinkering with them.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd like to see Kucherov in the NHL too, and I think we will before the end of the year (provided he keeps up his current level of play), but it's really hard to argue the way Steve Yzerman handles prospects. Because the results have been great.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I have to be close to kucherov's biggest fan. I was ok to bring up mike angelidis to play fourth line center. Brown had some bad luck and would have came up before killorn.

He has paid his dues he has all the tools to be a legit nhl player. He has a full game both ways which kucherov is working on his defense.

I am 100% in support of this decision it make sense it also doesnt fleece the whole syracuse team. Which is something to think about. Staying on top etc..

See how this works out Brown is NHL player. He has more time and a better two way game for now.

Kucherov is coming is nothing but a weird injury etc.. imo gonna stop that. The more time he can work on his game issues in lower levels the better it will be for the lightning and for kucherov himself in the long term:)

I said he would be up in december. I will still hold to that. We could have injuries,,, we could have scoring issues.

I think the first is more likely than the last. Even if it takes him to next year when he comes he will be a more complete better player.

Stamkos is MUCH MUCH MUCH more than a sniper lol. He was showing he was the best all around player in hockey. So to make kucherov work hard to become that type of player is in no way shape or form a bad thing:) He is willing to work like that and the good news? He expects it out of himself.

Got to love the kids attitude dedication work ethic and honesty of knowing he still has tons to work on:) He is not going to be one of these one dimensional russians or foreign players. We really need complete players. He gets it and will work till he is a force like stamkos is becoming.

I think also we are fine I do think vladdy is the next guy that comes up as emergency cause he might not be scoring the goals but is the points and his two way play is more solid right now than kucherov's.

Let him work on it we might get a little federov out of him long term. I can think of a lot worse things than that:)

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I liked Browns play last night. Played hard and smart for a guy in his first game in the nhl for the season. Also like his shoot first mentality. I'm pretty sure he had at least two shots in goal. On Filpulas line we need a guy like that. I think those guys will get their chance. I love our future. Considering we weren't even supposed to be contenders this year Stamkos going down gives these young guys a chance to learn and grow. If we can stick around in a playoff spot and Stamkos can return then I think we will be a better team than if we had Stamkos all year. The team will be that much more mature.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I liked Browns play last night. Played hard and smart for a guy in his first game in the nhl for the season. Also like his shoot first mentality. I'm pretty sure he had at least two shots in goal. On Filpulas line we need a guy like that. I think those guys will get their chance. I love our future. Considering we weren't even supposed to be contenders this year Stamkos going down gives these young guys a chance to learn and grow. If we can stick around in a playoff spot and Stamkos can return then I think we will be a better team than if we had Stamkos all year. The team will be that much more mature.

+1. I think if the team grows to endure this adversity and remain in the hunt for the playoffs, we will be so much better off. We will be a much more complete team that won't rely on Stamkos being a superhuman freak of nature.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
A few reasons actually:

1) J.T. Brown has been waiting longer and is a more NHL ready player at this point.

2) Yzerman doesn't like to pull prospects from the minors before they are ready. If he can, he will keep Kucherov down in the AHL until next season.

3) When a player like Steven Stamkos gets injured, there is not a single player you can bring up to replace his production. Kucherov may also be a sniper, but he is not (and most likely never will be) on Stamkos' level. The best thing to do in this situation is to depend on great goaltending and tighten up the defense, which makes JT the best player for the job since he brings a solid two-way game with a lot of speed.

Kucherov will definitely get his chance next season, or maybe even later this season, but now is not the time for him in my opinion.
Yes, yes, and yes.

If you look at our previous prospects Conacher, Wright, Ashton, Barberio, Gudas, Johnson, Panik, Palat, Killorn, Tokarski, and Korobov, each and everyone one of them was shown patience and stayed in the AHL as a rookie. Even Connolly and Killorn had to do a little extra work in the AHL before they were considered.

And yes what Kucherov's doing is amazing, but we've had other prospects who have dominated the scoresheet. Conacher could have been signed and made the team after a good training camp in 2011 but they wanted him to play a full year in the AHL. He went on to have a MVP year. Barberio after a 60 point year award winning year isn't getting his shot til now. Last season Johnson was having a MVP season, Panik, Gudas, and Palat were playing like Allstars and they all waited a little bit. The 4 of them + Killorn didn't even make the training camp roster back in January. And back in 2012 they waited sooo long with Roloson so they wouldn't have to call up Tokarski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->