Why not Halifax

GSC2k2*

The NHL is indeed a business. However it isn't like windex that everyone uses, it's a niche product that caters to a certain segment of the population.

If money and population were all that mattered there would be no way the NHL's smallest city (Edmonton) would be the 8th highest revenue generator. Passion is indeed one of the major factors whether the NHL is successful or not successful in markets.

Atlanta is a nice big city with lots of money. So are Phoenix, St. Louis etc. In theory, they should all probably be in the top 10 of NHL revenue generators. But they're not. There just isn't the passion for the NHL there right now . There's no doubt about the passion for hockey in Canada.

Could Halifax support an NHL team. I don't know, but I wouldn't rule it out. If there are, for example, 50,000 people willing to pay to watch NHL hockey in Halifax at necessary price levels, and an arena capable of generating sufficient revenue, then the demand will ensure it works.
Don't forget the corporate support.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
It would be nice, but...
......And if Hfx can't do it, you can absolutely forget Moncton (or any other city in Atlantic Canada). Hfx is the regional economic hub, Moncton's not even close.

I took the 1st post in jest so I thought I'd come out with the old Maritme refrain.
It should be in Halifax "it's the biggest and the bestest"
No it should be in Moncton "it's the centre and more people have access"
"But Halifax is the biggest and the bestest"
"Moncton is bilingual and Halifax is the end of the line"
"Halifax is the biggest and bestest; don't you guys listen?"
"Moncton is closest to the majority of the population in the Maritimes; don't "you" guys listen?"
And on it goes and probably always will.
Sometimes we do things though that benefit both, although rarely.
Halifax supported Moncton's bid for the 2010 World Track meet so Moncton could get a 12,000 seater stadium and in return Moncton supported Halifax's bid for the Commonweatlh games and Halifax will support Moncton's bid for the World Francophone Games.
But I took this thread in jest. Not to stir up civic pride.
Either way I don't see NHL setting up shop in the Maritimes. But it is fun to discuss.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
^ More a case of the AHL outgrowing Atlantic Canada. At one time there were seven AHL franchises out here (Fredericton, Moncton, Saint John, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, St. John's) but they all eventually left for larger centers.

And actually, Halifax had three AHL franchises: the Voyageurs (Canadiens), Oilers, and Citadels (Nordiques).

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I took the 1st post in jest so I thought I'd come out with the old Maritme refrain.
It should be in Halifax "it's the biggest and the bestest"
No it should be in Moncton "it's the centre and more people have access"
"But Halifax is the biggest and the bestest"
"Moncton is bilingual and Halifax is the end of the line"
"Halifax is the biggest and bestest; don't you guys listen?"
"Moncton is closest to the majority of the population in the Maritimes; don't "you" guys listen?"
And on it goes and probably always will.
Sometimes we do things though that benefit both, although rarely.
Halifax supported Moncton's bid for the 2010 World Track meet so Moncton could get a 12,000 seater stadium and in return Moncton supported Halifax's bid for the Commonweatlh games and Halifax will support Moncton's bid for the World Francophone Games.
But I took this thread in jest. Not to stir up civic pride.
Either way I don't see NHL setting up shop in the Maritimes. But it is fun to discuss.

Was just referring to the economic realities. Hfx has a lot more $$ and is recognized as the economic hub of the atlantic provinces. No offense intended, just stating fact.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Halifax has had 2 AHL franchises, but were unable to keep them, so I think that is more proof that the NHL wouldn't work there...

They didn't work because they weren't very good. The market here wasn't interested in "tier-2" hockey. The QMJHL works because there are "future stars" and it's good hockey, not to mention that it is marketed MUCH better. The city is also much larger now than in those days. Overall, your premise is sound, though: the city is likely too small to support EXPENSIVE big league hockey.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
They didn't work because they weren't very good. The market here wasn't interested in "tier-2" hockey. The QMJHL works because there are "future stars" and it's good hockey, not to mention that it is marketed MUCH better. The city is also much larger now than in those days. Overall, your premise is sound, though: the city is likely too small to support EXPENSIVE big league hockey.

I agree with this. The failure of the AHL (and the success of the QMJHL) was more because of marketing then anything else.

GSC2k2*

I resent the serious responses in this thread as having screwed up a perfectly acceptable satirical thread. The first page was pure comedy gold. The rest of this is just dreary.

MoMiester

Oct 26, 2006
I see where Pittsburgh population was stated. Raleigh metro is 1.5M with Greensboro/W-S/High Point which is an hour away is 1.5M and Charlotte which is 21/2 hours away is another 2M so that is 5M within 3 hours of each other. Another 4M live in the state so that is 9M. Then if you wanted to add SC and southern VA, that is another 7M or so. So I would say just looking at Raleigh city is not a good factor.

Pittsburgh is the same and also with Buffalo covering all of western NY, Northern Ohio and Northern PA.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I agree with this. The failure of the AHL (and the success of the QMJHL) was more because of marketing then anything else.

Bingo. I used to love going to AHL games, it was great hockey, but no entertainment value other than the pure skill on the ice. The Mooseheads have done everything none of the farm teams did- make it a family event. The joint is full of kids, and they're having the time of their lives every night, regardless of the quality of the hockey. Lot warmer feeling than watching the Citadels with 830 others. I did love the brawling in the AHL in the early eighties, and LOVED going to Swiss Chalet when we'd go to Halifax. I got Dave Allison's autograph on a swiss chalet napkin.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Hey, I miss the every other year threat the AHL gave us about leaving if local ownership didin't pay for more players or if the city didn't give more concessions.
Come to think of it except for the AHL, I don't think the coliseum has used the "balcony" curtain since. Unless the Beavers get a game at the coliseum?
Ooopps talking about Halifax aren't we....ooops......:(
.......sorry......
EDIT:
gIVEN mY uSer nAme.
Is ir wrong to be drunk and keeping an extra shift going in Saint John at this hour of the dat?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->