Why not Halifax

Richer

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
In the spirit of mentioning every American city that doesn't currently have an NHL franchise I thought it would be fun to bring up Canadian cities that shouldn't have an NHL team while still making the argument that they should.

Halifax

It has a larger incorporated population than Pittsburg, Raleigh,Buffalo,and Newark.

It has a million people within it "market", I mean if Las Vegas gets to claim Carson county as it population at a size of over 20,000 sq km why can't Halifax claim all of Nova Scotia as its market at only 55,000 sq km. I think there have been scientific studies done that show Nova Scotian's love hockey at least twice as much as Las Vegasites so they would be more than willing to drive twice as far for a game. That's a fact. Just like global warming your not allowed to debate it or I will call you a caveman and we all know caveman don't like hockey so you can't talk about hockey because you don't know it seeing as you live in a cave and don't have a TV.

Throw in Southern NB and PEI and you have close to 3 million people in your "market". It really a big mega city if you use the method of calculating population not based residents but instead count anybody who could in theory go to your city and not consider themselves a tourist.

As for TV sure you wouldn't get access to the potential viewers that are possible in the American markets but you would have access to actual viewers that would actually watch the games. From an immediate revenue stand point actual revenue may translate into a better bottom line than money you wished you had if people cared about your team.

In conclusion Halifax should have an NHL team because I might move there and want to go to NHL games all the time. Also I was originally from the east coast and want everybody to look at my city 'cause I think it's awesome and it's underrated if you use biased stats to compare it to other cities it doesn't look that bad. If Milwaukee is in the running for three pro franchises Halifax should get at least one NHL franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not enough corporate sponsers in the Halifax area. They also lack big business that most major cities have. Most of that population is poor college kids.

Richer

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Not enough corporate sponsers in the Halifax area. They also lack big business that most major cities have. Most of that population is poor college kids.

I'm sure a sweetheart arena deal would solve that problem. Who cares about good economic when tax payer are willing to throw away millions on pro sport arenas. Kansas City here we come!!!!

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Using your logic Moncton as the Hub City and being closer and more accessible to the larger portion of the Maritime population would be the ideal place for a regional team. A million and a half within a 3 hour drive.
But we're counting on Halifax folk driving to Moncton and you're counting on Saint John folk driving to Halifax.
The problem we've always had in the Maritimes is that no one centre has ever established itself as "the" major centre.
Saint John, Moncton, Fredericton or Halifax all consider themselves as regional centres and know nothing or even worse care to know nothing about each other.
Halifax maybe the largest English language market but is it really the largest Maritime drawing market. Don't ask the Moncton Chamber of Commerce.
Let's face it...it gonna happen

Richer

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Dude, Nova Scotia doesn't even have a pop. of 1 million so how the hell do you figure Halifax has a larger incorporated population than Pittsburgh, Raleigh,Buffalo,and Newark? :dunno:

The incorporated population of Halifax is larger than all of those cities. Meaning there are more people paying property taxes to Halifax than all those other cities.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
The incorporated population of Halifax is larger than all of those cities. Meaning there are more people paying property taxes to Halifax than all those other cities.

Ah, okay, but incorporated population doesn't really mean anything. What you need to look at is at metro population. For example Pittsburgh may only have an incorporated pop of around 300K but it's metro pop is around 2.5 million.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That means nothing

Seriously.

Pittsburgh has an incorporated population of about 316,000 and yet there are 1.3 million people living in Allegheny County and 2.4 million across the metropolitan area. Pittsburgh is the 57th largest city in the United States by population, behind such corporate powerhouses as Santa Ana, Wichita, Colorado Springs, Omaha, Mesa, and Fresno. Doesn't hide the fact it is the 21st largest metropolis in the U.S. City size doesn't mean squat. Especially when you consider Pittsburgh's city limits encompass less land than Walt Disney World. 58.3 square miles is nothing when you consider our neighbor to the east, Philadelphia, is 142.6 square miles.

Halifax may have 385,000 people in it, but the whole of Nova Scotia has less than a million residents. If you add up all of the martime provinces in Canada there are still less people (2,331,769) than in Pittsburgh's metropolis (2,386,074).

GSC2k2*

OK, I thought this was meant to be complete, humourous sarcasm and yet people are taking it seriously enough to try to punch holes in it... Did I miss the point?
No, you didn't. The responders did.

As you were.

Bryzga lol*

Ya..but in Moncton first. We French guys love hockey even better.

Save it for the Hockeyville contest. I can't see "love for hockey" being a criteria for landing an NHL franchize since Kansas City and Las Vegas are the front runners for the Penguins.

Moncton is a lot more central in a sence, but with more than double the population, and having an international name puts Halifax as a front runner in the Maritimes if ever they were to get an NHL team.

Halifax could definetly sell out a 41 game schedual in a 16-to-18 thousand seater area.

In a perfect world (meaning: without Bettman), Halifax could get an NHL team. But not before Winnipeg, Hartford and Quebec in my opinion.

I'm not totally opposed to having more southern NHL teams, but first I think the league should have bigger TV contracts in the states to make sure people are actually watching the game.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We can put a team in Whitehorse, Yukon or Jacksonhole, Wyoming as long as there is enough corporate sponsorship to support it, because that's where the money comes from.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
halifax>moncton

sorry monctonians...

its
historic properties/waterfront, pizza corner, great night life, good live music

versus

magnetic hill, magic mountain, the Cosmo and very dingy strip joints...

however both places are much better than... Winterpeg, Quebec City (although it's close that's a very nice city) and the entire United States of America.

in an ideal world they should both have teams... how about the Moncton Moustache and the Halifax Guzzlers

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
halifax>moncton

sorry monctonians...

its
historic properties/waterfront, pizza corner, great night life, good live music

versus

magnetic hill, magic mountain, the Cosmo and very dingy strip joints...

however both places are much better than... Winterpeg, Quebec City (although it's close that's a very nice city) and the entire United States of America.

in an ideal world they should both have teams... how about the Moncton Moustache and the Halifax Guzzlers

Whaaat, you don't like huge cover charges over priced beer and ******* .......fer shame.
I go for the Moncton St. George Street Girls vs the Barrington St. Solicitators....
Or are they the same?

Richer

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Seriously.

Pittsburgh has an incorporated population of about 316,000 and yet there are 1.3 million people living in Allegheny County and 2.4 million across the metropolitan area. Pittsburgh is the 57th largest city in the United States by population, behind such corporate powerhouses as Santa Ana, Wichita, Colorado Springs, Omaha, Mesa, and Fresno. Doesn't hide the fact it is the 21st largest metropolis in the U.S. City size doesn't mean squat. Especially when you consider Pittsburgh's city limits encompass less land than Walt Disney World. 58.3 square miles is nothing when you consider our neighbor to the east, Philadelphia, is 142.6 square miles.

Halifax may have 385,000 people in it, but the whole of Nova Scotia has less than a million residents. If you add up all of the martime provinces in Canada there are still less people (2,331,769) than in Pittsburgh's metropolis (2,386,074).

Seriously

Al MacInnis was one of the best NHL defenseman of all time. He is from Nova Scotia. Pittsburgh has never produced an NHL defenseman that I can recall without thinking too much. That means that Nova Scotia fans, using standard financial accounting practices, have an intrinsic value of at least 10,000 times of that of Pittsburgh fans so the "hockey value" of a Halifax fan means the hockey population of Nova Scotia is at least 9.42 billion people. 9.42 billion people can support an NHL franchise:teach:

To my knowledge there is at least one Korean player in the NHL. Korea has a team that competes at the international level. I have never seen Las Vegas at any international tournament. Esa Tikkanen coached and played for a team in the Seoul suburb of Anyang. If my expert hockey fan value calculations are correct, which they always are, Korea has a fan value of 1 person equal to one hockey fan. Now if we extend the metro area of Seoul to 20,000 sq km (same size as Vegas's 1.7 million people city) there are about 60,000,000 people in Seoul. I think that the NHL should expand there, if Vegas can support a team with 1.7 million then Seoul can support 35.29 teams with their population. We should round that number to 23 since about 20,000,000 of those people are in North Korea and you have to be a really big fan to run a border with 2 million soldiers and a bunch of land mines.

Anywho as you can Seriously see the NHL should create a Korea division of 23 teams.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Halifax nor Moncton were ever considered as NHL cities even though both held exhibition games there.

In the case of Moncton, they decided once the AHL Left them in 1994 after making a run toward the championship; it was more prudent to embrace the QMJHL as it did prove true in Halifax, Charlottetown, Quebec, Saint John & St. John's once the decision was made by those NHL affiliated teams found the economics harder and harder to compete even though Saint John won a championship under Calgary's direction, it wasn't enough to keep the franchise there.

Same thing was evident in Quebec toward the end, everyone showed their support for the Remparts but not for the Citadelles, whether that was evidence of the negative backlash toward the relocation of the Nordiques, who knows.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
colin white
john sim
sidney crosby
brad richards

past
al mcinnis
jimmy kyte
mike eagles
gerry gallant
dave ling
mike mcphee
bobby smith

that must blow up to like 30 odd billion using your formula and stuff... crosby should count for like a 100 bill on his own

Richer

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
colin white
john sim
sidney crosby
brad richards

past
al mcinnis
jimmy kyte
mike eagles
gerry gallant
dave ling
mike mcphee
bobby smith

that must blow up to like 30 odd billion using your formula and stuff... crosby should count for like a 100 bill on his own

If we are adding Islanders we have to add Bob McMillan, I think he now owns a bar in PEI so like that is worth another billion.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
colin white
john sim
sidney crosby
brad richards

past
al mcinnis
jimmy kyte
mike eagles
gerry gallant
dave ling
mike mcphee
bobby smith

Okay no Crosby but I've got an:
Everett Sannipas
Scott Pellerin
Roland Melanson
Mike Eagles
and in the future
Luc Bourdon
and others that I've had too much Alpine to remember ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad