Why no room for enforcers in HHOF?

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
A bit off topic, but which of the HHOF players had the best fighting and enforcing abilities?

Gordie Howe has a very tough reputation, but I'm in imperssion that he was more feared due to his overall nastiness. Howe could hurt opponents in any way if they would mess with him.

On the other hand, effectiveness of an enforcer is not measured only by his actual fighting skills, (and even less by the number of fights fought) but by his abilty to intimidate the opponent from physically hurting the enforcer's team. (And to some extent, to intimidate opponent from using his hockey skills in full effect, but that's more like job of a goon.) However, I guess in that regard Gordie Howe was a some kind of enforcer. I just don't know if Howe's fearsome reputation scared the opponent not only to stay away from him, but also from his teammates.

Brian Burke said that Gordie Howe was the most feared player ever in the game. "Everybody was afraid of Gordie Howe. He could beat you on the ice and he could beat you in the alley, if he had to."

Clak Gillies is another tough SOB in the HHOF. And from recently added players, Cam Neely and Scott Stevens could do more than hold their own. Both were fierce fighters in their younger days.

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
A bit off topic, but which of the HHOF players had the best fighting and enforcing abilities?

Gordie Howe has a very tough reputation, but I'm in imperssion that he was more feared due to his overall nastiness. Howe could hurt opponents in any way if they would mess with him.

On the other hand, effectiveness of an enforcer is not measured only by his actual fighting skills, (and even less by the number of fights fought) but by his abilty to intimidate the opponent from physically hurting the enforcer's team. (And to some extent, to intimidate opponent from using his hockey skills in full effect, but that's more like job of a goon.) However, I guess in that regard Gordie Howe was a some kind of enforcer. I just don't know if Howe's fearsome reputation scared the opponent not only to say away from him, but also from his teammates.

Brian Burke said that Gordie Howe was the most feared player ever in the game. "Everybody was afraid of Gordie Howe. He could beat you on the ice and he could beat you in the alley, if he had to."

Clak Gillies is another tough SOB in the HHOF. And from recently added players, Cam Neely and Scott Stevens could do more than hold their own. Both were fierce fighters in their younger days.

Howe, Bobby Hull, Rocket Richard, Stan Mikita, Ted Lindsay, Eddie Shore, Larry Robinson, Clarke Gilles..... and on and on. Many HHOFers were dirty or great fighters or did not take any crap at all.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

Lionel Conacher was a very successful amateur boxer and a semi-pro boxer during his hockey days. I'd hazard a guess that he'd destroy most opponents.

Red Horner was in many ways the first enforcer, as he had to always clean up King Clancy's messes.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I don't know about enforcers actually enshrined in the HHOF, but I would defnitely like to see an exhibit of those who were.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
A fight wing would work. No actual enshrinement, but an area of the Hall dedicated to that aspect of the game.

:shakehead

This is embarrassing. Just stop writing things right now.

A wing dedicated to players who do things against the rules and who are penalized for doing such things? WTF? What next? A wing for suspensions for head shots?

:help:

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
If it wasn't for intimidation, do the Flyers ever win the cup.

As a response to the Flyers intimidation, the Habs dress several goons in the preseason in 76. Now the Habs players like Lafleur, Lemaire, Shutt can now perform when they meet the Flyers in the playoffs. The Flyers decide to play hockey against the Habs knowing that if they goon it up, the Habs will respond in kind.

Who wins though if the Flyers know the Habs can't respond to the phisicality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad