Why no love for Okposo (still) ?

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
i dont hate okposo, i just hate him on the 1st line....

he is a grinder with some finishing capability from time to time, not a finisher with grinding ability...

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
You're right.... he was good before Vanek showed up, and was producing at a very good clip albeit for a short span of games. But no doubt it will be remembered in a few years that Okposo didn't finally breakout until they surrounded him with superstars (Tavares and Vanek). You and I know that is not true. His game took several years to develop due to his size (weight) and style of play (boards/corners). Players like him don't typically break out until their mid twenties. So he had things working agaisnt him coming up into the NHL as a 19 year old about to be 20. You grow up on the job with a lot of expectations and a big role on a crumby team earlier than you should. So the fan base watched the kid grow up and learn the game at the NHL which comes with a lot of bad games and loads of mistakes and growing pains. These seep into fans brains for all eternity, and are impossible to erase, even with good play.... for some there will always be an excuse... the player still stinks he's just putting up points now because ______. Or he puts up points bt that doesnt mean hes a good player. Nonsense like that. Now, if Okposo had been traded last year like many insisted... and he was putting up numbers like this somewhere else (calling Todd Bertuzzi) there would be HELL to pay and the blood would be on Snow's hands. They would be calling for Snows head (if they aren't already).

The same exact thing could be written for Josh Bailey. I joined this board a year ago, people were calling him 'Failey'. Haven't heard that in a while. I will admit that my patience at times wore thin with both Bailey and Okposo, and I said they each had to break out by the end of this season 2013-14 before anyone can right them off and give up on them..... well better late than never.

Agreed.

Okposo just needs to slow his game down a bit, more controlled. Very interested to see how he fits on that top line now with Vanek on it.

The rushed passes that result in turnovers are particularly frustrating, but I'm hoping he can work some steadiness into his hands as the season progresses. (And maybe stop hitting the post?:sarcasm:)

I am expecting the swap of Bailey for Okposo later this season, hopefully after Bouchard is scratched and Grabner is back on the second line where he belongs.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Well, let's review history for a moment:
- Name a year he was consistently good in.

Yep, you can't. And what is worse is when he goes into "Bad 'Poso" mode it's like watching someone play hockey after a lobotomy because he is way out of position and useless regularly, or worse he doesn't use his frame at all.

This year is his best start to a season ever, but you know, I give no credit for a consistent year played until it is played since he has yet to accomplish that feat. Either way he is not 1st line material and the sooner the clueless guy in the suit realizes it the better.
I can't name a season Tavares was consistently good in either, he has has had stretches of poor play every season. Does that mean I should give Tavares a nickname about being bad at hockey also?

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Okposo has tons of talent but too often hurts the team with either a stupid giveaway or penalty. Look at the Rangers game, yes, the defense was awful, but Okposo put the Isles shorthanded twice and negated a penalty against the Rangers one other time. If he plays smart, the game could have had a different outcome.

The problem is that the boneheaded plays are too common. He isn't reliable enough to be given top minutes.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I can't name a season Tavares was consistently good in either, he has has had stretches of poor play every season. Does that mean I should give Tavares a nickname about being bad at hockey also?

So you just compared Okposo to Tavares? You really want to go there? I get what you mean about everyone having ups and downs, but his inconsistency isn't for typical stretches. It was't long ago he had a bad season - an entire season mostly anyway. Can you tell me when Tavares ever had one of those? Plus Kyle is a bit older. How about if we wait to see if he can finally put it together for most of this season before we annoint him as finally arriving?

But get him off the first line. They need a power forward. Even his biggest fans would point out that he is not one of those.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Grabs-Nielsen-Okposo would be a pretty effective line, imo.

Vanek-JT-Bailey as line one, and we're done. I agree.
---- but ----
that wouldn't mean more wins. Offense is fine, it's the defense and goaltending that needs help.

Here's my issue with "us" on this board (and all boards are the same in this regard).

When the team loses, EVERYONE SUCKS.

The Islanders have won only FOUR of 12 games. They've been competitive in ALL the games, except maybe 1-2. The pace of play, the score, the scoring chances have all been close. They are finding ways to lose.

Sometimes it's been a bad goal (on Nabby)
Often, it's been defensive breakdowns, not limited to the whipping boys.
Sometimes we haven't gotten that key goal, or great game by JT.

It's something small, each game.

Yet:
- Nabby sucks and he must go
- AMac sucks, we need Reinhart.
- Need a first line winger (get Vanek) - after 1 game - Okposo needs to be off that line.

Seems like we need someone to complain about, ALWAYS and when the team loses, it's almost everyone who gets blamed.

If they all sucked, they'd be BUFFALO. They don't suck.

Okposo is a good hockey player. IF he plays on the first line, he'll get very good numbers. If he plays on other lines, he'll get poor numbers. He's still the same player. We let stats confuse things at times. They shouldn't. Boyes scored at the exact same pace as Parenteau. And Okposo will do the same.

Okposo has had seasons (2010-11 and 2012-13) where his scoring was beyond abysmal. He's scored at the same pace as Clutterbuck over a four year period. He's not Iginla, so let's get past that.

I think his game is MUCH BETTER than it was in prior years. Since mid last year, he's been very consistent, great forechecker, very noticeable out there. I like his game a lot. But he's a lot closer to Matt Martin, Clutterbuck, McDonald than he is to Tavares, Vanek, Nielsen and Bailey. Still, I believe he's someone you can win with.

He's not polished offensively. He fumbles the puck a lot, makes very slow decisions (passing especially) and coughs up the puck way too much. He's not a good offensive player, has poor vision and hockey sense. His release is far too slow.

I never liked his chemistry with Tavares, but he hasn't been bad. I think Tavares isn't helped by Okposo, nor do I think Tavares needs help. Vanek - JT Clutterbuck/Martin would be outstanding as well.

Seems like we have different expectations of Okposo and especially if he's on the top line. Shouldn't be that way. Accept him for what he is, be thankful he's not Boyes. or Bouchard.

Strome and Nelson are much better offensive players than Okposo, not YET, but soon.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
So you just compared Okposo to Tavares? You really want to go there? I get what you mean about everyone having ups and downs, but his inconsistency isn't for typical stretches. It was't long ago he had a bad season - an entire season mostly anyway. Can you tell me when Tavares ever had one of those? Plus Kyle is a bit older. How about if we wait to see if he can finally put it together for most of this season before we annoint him as finally arriving?

But get him off the first line. They need a power forward. Even his biggest fans would point out that he is not one of those.
I did not compare the two in any way. I pointed out why your argument was flawed and the standard in it was silly, as you cannot say any player on the team has had a season without a bad stretch.

And the only season one could argue Okposo was bad the whole season was the one he spent most of injured and returning from injury, which is a pretty disingenuous argument.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
I like the sound of such a line.
However i feel like that leaves alot to be desired for line two.

Vanek-JT-Bailey
Okposo-Nielsen-Grabs
Nelson-Regin-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

might have messed up the sides on the wings but u get the point

Trade PMB + 4th Rounder to get back the 2nd rounder in 2015

Not that difficult

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I think we can finally say that KO has emerged, he's carried his play over from the end of last season/PO's. He's a very good second liner, who will put up points and do other things to help your team win; I think he's found his niche. As noted, he's better suited with Neilsen (and Grabs), and I'm hoping him and Bailey are swapped. Bailey is another player I've been happy with (in terms of carrying over success from last last year and truly 'emerging'). Bailey's playmaking/puck holding ability makes too much sense with JT and VT. Neilsen's speed and playmaking makes so much sense for both KO and Grabs.

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009
He starts off slow, has stone hands, and he's known to be an out of shape smoker... but I like him! So there's that at least.

Enough with the out of shape. Okposo takes longer shifts than most on his team and he's one of the hardest workers. You wish you were in half as good a shape as he is.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I catch him being lazy way more often than i'd like. I have a lot of respect for the guys that go out there and work their ***** off in the offseason and show it on the ice (JT, Martin, Cizikas)

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Enough with the out of shape. Okposo takes longer shifts than most on his team and he's one of the hardest workers. You wish you were in half as good a shape as he is.

Yea, I love this. Plus the whole smoking rumor. People will believe anything. Wasn't this attributed to someone seeing him have a cigar once? Nothing like latching on to crap that you heard on twitter from some guy who saw some girl who cuts hair for a dude that met Kyle Okposo once.

Yea, this dude is out of shape:

BP4Lq5mCMAEVKN1.jpg:large

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Any difference between Okposo and Bergenheim?

Bergenheim never cracked 30 pts.

His offense was even more inconsistent then Okposo's has been.
Isles gave Okposo a 5 yr deal and top 6 minutes. Snow considers him to be a core player.

His 12 pts this season are 3 pts behind Nielsen and 1 pt behind JT. I am gonna guess that Snow/Cappy are a lot more pleased with Okposo's play, then some of our armchairs coaches and gms.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

I did not compare the two in any way. I pointed out why your argument was flawed and the standard in it was silly, as you cannot say any player on the team has had a season without a bad stretch.
Sure you did, see above. You are saying Tavares is just as inconsistent as Okposo. You compared consistency.
And the only season one could argue Okposo was bad the whole season was the one he spent most of injured and returning from injury, which is a pretty disingenuous argument.
Because why? It certainly doesn't mean he is good, particularly since his biggest attrivute is going into traffic and playing physically. But let's look at numbers.

Rookie year - 5 pts over 9 games. Good start.
08/09 - thru Dec he pots 4 goals and 11 pts over 25 games. Slow start but not the end of the world.
09/10 - thru Dec he pots 6 g 27 pts over 27 games. So a good start, but his second half he got 25 pts total over the remaining 50 or so games.
10/11 - 5 g 20 pts over 38 games.
11/12 - 6 g 15 pts over 33 games thru Dec.
And 12/13 he was a disaster for most of the season.

During these years he has fluctuated around .75 hits per game, with the higher hit totals coming in spurts during his better play, which is no surprise as we have probably all remarked on his physical play and production rising and lowering in unison. He has been fairly inconsistent in production and play, worse after the injury no doubt, but never putting in a reasonably complete year and usually starting the year cold as hell when the club would have benefitted from a few players getting hot. This is his best start, like many have said, and hopefully he keeps it up, but I am not in favor of declaring him arrived considering what the numbers, and my own eyeballs, have seen.

StumpNYI

Sep 10, 2010
Never liked him with Tavares even with his production. Dont think they mesh well. Also sick of hearing Howie say ,"Okposo shoots wide". Other then that I love him.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Sure you did, see above. You are saying Tavares is just as inconsistent as Okposo. You compared consistency.
You said Okposo is bad because you can't think of a season where he's been consistently good the entire season. Since one cannot say Tavares has had a season without a bad stretch, it means that either your argument is invalid, or Tavares is also bad. My question for you is, which is it?

Just because I think your argument illogical and a ridiculous standard, does not imply that I think Okposo is as good as Tavares, or even comparable as a player. My post did not even mention Okposo. That's something you just made up.

Also, Okposo was one of our best forwards for the 2nd half of the '12-13 season. Yeah it was a shortened season, but if you're trying to say the entire season was terrible, then you're simply wrong.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
Okiposo was supposed to be one of the main reasons we would become a dynasty once again...well at least that was newsdays and wangs sales pitch for a few years...75% of the islander fans bought it also for a number of years. SO 6 years later...20 years since we won a playoff round...its fair to say Okiposo is part of the problem rather then part of the answer. Honestly, to me, every player on this team is part of the problem rather then the answer other then Hamanic, martin, and Tavares. In other words every other player has significant flaws that bother the hell out of me. On a good or great team, you don't need perfect players..but when you aint winning cups, they are now part of the problem.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
You said Okposo is bad because you can't think of a season where he's been consistently good the entire season. Since one cannot say Tavares has had a season without a bad stretch, it means that either your argument is invalid, or Tavares is also bad. My question for you is, which is it?
Tavares doesn't take off half a season, or more pretty much every year like Kyle. He has bad stretches like many good players. It is a consistency thing so go ahead and declare my argument invalid all you want. We've seen Kyle down and up, and the one thing he has been consistent at is being inconsistent.

Just because I think your argument illogical and a ridiculous standard, does not imply that I think Okposo is as good as Tavares, or even comparable as a player. My post did not even mention Okposo. That's something you just made up.
Your post was in reference to Kyle, in a Kyle Okposo thread, and you did compare Tavares as being just as inconsistent.

Also, Okposo was one of our best forwards for the 2nd half of the '12-13 season. Yeah it was a shortened season, but if you're trying to say the entire season was terrible, then you're simply wrong.
Fair on saying it wasn't most, though 2 goals and 9 pts total over 27 games which is more than half the season is pretty awful, but it was also accompanied by a continuation of the contact free play which dogged him since the big injury.

I don't see where I am being silly or unfair or disingenuous in asking to see a fairly consistent season first. Let me ask you, do you think he has been consistently good prior to the start of this year?

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
I like Okie. But it seems like he is doing the same mistakes over and over again. I want him to get stronger when he is battling for the puck near the boards, he is always falling. And his shot, he is hitting the post way to often. That's kinda sad. If he would've scored more goals on his chances, I guess his self confidence would have been better, and that's equal to a better player.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
People give Okposo crap because they see his potential and he doesn't live up to it as much as he does. Even more...When he does something wrong it's of the stupid variety...A horrible pass, being completely out of position, shot from in close completely wide, and the falling down! My god the FALLING DOWN! I've literally never seen a guy built as stout as he is hit the ice more often.

When Okposo scores I usually think to myself, "Yes. That's what he should be doing every shift." And usually most of the other times I'm saying, "JESUS Okposo...What the hell was that?!?!"

Sometimes your opponent outplays you and that happens, but when you do things that help your opponent outplay you, that is when your fans are going to be upset.

And for those of you that think that Bailey should be on the top line instead of Okposo I do agree, but truth is both aren't ideal candidates to play with Tavares. I hope Vanek works out, but I think think any other player we put with them is a bit of a round peg into a square hole. I'd still like to see Grabner get a shot up there given his speed.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
Kyle was never a great goal scorer.Not in college. Not in the AHL. He was good, but you have to be blessed with those hands. You don't get to that level by practicing. 99%of the great offensive players have that skill down pat by the time they are 19. even if they are in Europe, ahl or juniors still.Anyone still holding out for Okiposo to "break out" into some all star type of 30 plus goal scorer consistently, probably hasn't followed hockey long. This isn't baseball. You are what you are when it comes to burying pucks in the NHL. Even if you get one year when everything breaks right and score close to 40 like Jason blake, it doesn't mean you are a 40 goal scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->