Why no love for Okposo (still) ?

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I've been enjoying this board, lot's of great posts, some not so much, but for the most part, very entertaining. The one thing I don't understand is why Okposo gets so little respect. All I hear is bad hands, bad vision, average player, yada yada yada. But you know what? He's always on the score sheet. He's always playing at a high rate of speed...digging, crunching, trying to make plays. Whatever he lacks in skill he makes up for in drive and intensity. He really hasn't lost a beat since stepping it up in the playoffs. Now that he'll (likely) be paired with Vanek/Tavares, I imagine all the bandwagon jumpers will be coming out of the closet, lol. Just an FYI: he was good before Vanek showed up.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I've been enjoying this board, lot's of great posts, some not so much, but for the most part, very entertaining. The one thing I don't understand is why Okposo gets so little respect. All I hear is bad hands, bad vision, average player, yada yada yada. But you know what? He's always on the score sheet. He's always playing at a high rate of speed...digging, crunching, trying to make plays. Whatever he lacks in skill he makes up for in drive and intensity. He really hasn't lost a beat since stepping it up in the playoffs. Now that he'll (likely) be paired with Vanek/Tavares, I imagine all the bandwagon jumpers will be coming out of the closet, lol. Just an FYI: he was good before Vanek showed up.

He starts off slow, has stone hands, and he's known to be an out of shape smoker... but I like him! So there's that at least.

Last edited:

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I think fans can get frustrated because we've seen how explosive and exciting Okposo can be, and it's disappointing when he's not playing 110% on every shift. But you can't knock him too much, he is producing and performing miles better than he did last regular season.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He makes an insane amount of mistakes and has tunnel vision. He's put up points, but that doesn't mean he's playing particularly well. I'm not a fan of his, though I think he has a spot on this team...but he's just too poor in certain areas to have been on the top line. We'll see how the Vanek things works out I guess. Maybe he'll have to do less now.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
He makes an insane amount of mistakes and has tunnel vision. He's put up points, but that doesn't mean he's playing particularly well. I'm not a fan of his, though I think he has a spot on this team...but he's just too poor in certain areas to have been on the top line. We'll see how the Vanek things works out I guess. Maybe he'll have to do less now.

Came to say the same thing.

The Vanek dynamic should free KO up a bit. He was like a rag doll chasing the puck a lot and the line, while getting points - didn't have much sustained pressure and almost no cycling. That should change now.

I still don't think Kyle is a first liner but am willing to give him a chunk of the season with his new linemate to see what happens. The formula just might work.

btw, I wonder if Eric Hornick knows how many posts Kyle hit since the start of last season...i'd bet a good 15.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
IMO it's obvious that Bailey should be on the top line and Okposo on the 2nd. Bailey has the style that fits two high-end goal scorers. He's a pass-first player who skates well, plays a solid defensive game and has great vision. Okposo is more of the "make things happen" type player, but unfortunately he doesn't get to play that style while he's with Tavares(nor should he).

IMO he played his best hockey while apart from Tavares on that Nielsen line, where he was the guy looked to for creating offense with his energy and physicality. Not to mention he's already had a lot of success with Grabner and Nielsen in the past, so the chemistry is obviously there.

Switching them just makes too much sense to me.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

The Vanek dynamic should free KO up a bit. He was like a rag doll chasing the puck a lot and the line, while getting points - didn't have much sustained pressure and almost no cycling. That should change now.

I still don't think Kyle is a first liner but am willing to give him a chunk of the season with his new linemate to see what happens. The formula just might work.

btw, I wonder if Eric Hornick knows how many posts Kyle hit since the start of last season...i'd bet a good 15.

Bingo, bingo, bingo. Well said.

The funny thing is, KO has pretty much turned out to be exactly as advertised from his draft year profile. Not high end skill, but very effective when his motor is running.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com

You're right.... he was good before Vanek showed up, and was producing at a very good clip albeit for a short span of games. But no doubt it will be remembered in a few years that Okposo didn't finally breakout until they surrounded him with superstars (Tavares and Vanek). You and I know that is not true. His game took several years to develop due to his size (weight) and style of play (boards/corners). Players like him don't typically break out until their mid twenties. So he had things working agaisnt him coming up into the NHL as a 19 year old about to be 20. You grow up on the job with a lot of expectations and a big role on a crumby team earlier than you should. So the fan base watched the kid grow up and learn the game at the NHL which comes with a lot of bad games and loads of mistakes and growing pains. These seep into fans brains for all eternity, and are impossible to erase, even with good play.... for some there will always be an excuse... the player still stinks he's just putting up points now because ______. Or he puts up points bt that doesnt mean hes a good player. Nonsense like that. Now, if Okposo had been traded last year like many insisted... and he was putting up numbers like this somewhere else (calling Todd Bertuzzi) there would be HELL to pay and the blood would be on Snow's hands. They would be calling for Snows head (if they aren't already).

The same exact thing could be written for Josh Bailey. I joined this board a year ago, people were calling him 'Failey'. Haven't heard that in a while. I will admit that my patience at times wore thin with both Bailey and Okposo, and I said they each had to break out by the end of this season 2013-14 before anyone can right them off and give up on them..... well better late than never.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
You're right.... he was good before Vanek showed up, and was producing at a very good clip albeit for a short span of games. But no doubt it will be remembered in a few years that Okposo didn't finally breakout until they surrounded him with superstars (Tavares and Vanek). You and I know that is not true. His game took several years to develop due to his size (weight) and style of play (boards/corners). Players like him don't typically break out until their mid twenties. So he had things working agaisnt him coming up into the NHL as a 19 year old about to be 20. You grow up on the job with a lot of expectations and a big role on a crumby team earlier than you should. So the fan base watched the kid grow up and learn the game at the NHL which comes with a lot of bad games and loads of mistakes and growing pains. These seep into fans brains for all eternity, and are impossible to erase, even with good play.... for some there will always be an excuse... the player still stinks he's just putting up points now because ______. Or he puts up points bt that doesnt mean hes a good player. Nonsense like that. Now, if Okposo had been traded last year like many insisted... and he was putting up numbers like this somewhere else (calling Todd Bertuzzi) there would be HELL to pay and the blood would be on Snow's hands. They would be calling for Snows head (if they aren't already).

The same exact thing could be written for Josh Bailey. I joined this board a year ago, people were calling him 'Failey'. Haven't heard that in a while. I will admit that my patience at times wore thin with both Bailey and Okposo, and I said they each had to break out by the end of this season 2013-14 before anyone can right them off and give up on them..... well better late than never.

:handclap: Great post! I agree with everything you just said.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013

This makes sense to me. I'm a knowledgeable and conscientious fan for the most part, I just don't watch them as closely as many people on this board. If I had been watching KO all along, I could see how those feelings could develop. If his game could catch up to his attitude and tenacity, look out.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Okposo just needs to slow his game down a bit, more controlled. Very interested to see how he fits on that top line now with Vanek on it.

Mustang2750*

He turns the puck over 10-15 times a game and can't pass or shoot worth a damn.

I would like him as our 3rd liner...i absolutely hate him as a first liner and is one of the main reasons our top line sucks this year.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Well, let's review history for a moment:
- Name a year he was consistently good in.

Yep, you can't. And what is worse is when he goes into "Bad 'Poso" mode it's like watching someone play hockey after a lobotomy because he is way out of position and useless regularly, or worse he doesn't use his frame at all.

This year is his best start to a season ever, but you know, I give no credit for a consistent year played until it is played since he has yet to accomplish that feat. Either way he is not 1st line material and the sooner the clueless guy in the suit realizes it the better.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I honestly think KO is out of place on the first line and should be reunited with Frans on the second line, but that's not a slight on him at all.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
Well, let's review history for a moment:
- Name a year he was consistently good in.

Yep, you can't. And what is worse is when he goes into "Bad 'Poso" mode it's like watching someone play hockey after a lobotomy because he is way out of position and useless regularly, or worse he doesn't use his frame at all.

This year is his best start to a season ever, but you know, I give no credit for a consistent year played until it is played since he has yet to accomplish that feat. Either way he is not 1st line material and the sooner the clueless guy in the suit realizes it the better.

:laugh: so true.

even with his quick start, okposo is still a bit of an enigma. at the start of last season, up to the mid way point, i was very disappointed in his performance , calling him "an overrated comeau". than all the sudden--seemingly out of the clear blue--he transformed into the player we expected him to be during the playoffs.

he showed a lot of promise his first two seasons on the island, and many had him pegged as the future captain of this team, despite the fact it was tavares first season. its disappointing that he hasn't really improved on his career high of 52 points, but that may change this year. okposo would be far better served on the 2nd line

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
IMO it's obvious that Bailey should be on the top line and Okposo on the 2nd. Bailey has the style that fits two high-end goal scorers. He's a pass-first player who skates well, plays a solid defensive game and has great vision. Okposo is more of the "make things happen" type player, but unfortunately he doesn't get to play that style while he's with Tavares(nor should he).

IMO he played his best hockey while apart from Tavares on that Nielsen line, where he was the guy looked to for creating offense with his energy and physicality. Not to mention he's already had a lot of success with Grabner and Nielsen in the past, so the chemistry is obviously there.

Switching them just makes too much sense to me.

ditto.

to add... i've seen enough to be frustrated more with Cappy than our players...

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Has no hockey sense, how many times in one game can he skate the puck full speed into the corner and turn it over? What's the over/under on that?

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

I am a fan of his. He does have flaws to his game though. I agree with you i do not think he is a "true" first line player.
I think he is a real nice second line player. On a team that has a real shot at a cup guys like him fall to second / third line roles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad