Why McPhee didn't extend Fedorov and Kozlov?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
fedorov was broke. he could make more money in the KHL. Caps wanted him and he wanted to stay but there was no way the Caps could afford what he could get in Russia. Kozzie was just not good enough anymore. He also went to the KHL. Had there been an NHL job for him, he would have stayed.

also, the caps never used Kozlov at Center

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yeah they replaced Kozlov with Knuble and I think pretty much everyone agrees that was a good move for the Caps, especially since Kozlov never played a minute in the NHL afterwards.

Fedorov they replaced with Morrison and while he did a decent job centering the 2nd line, especially in the 1st half of the season, there was definitely a leadership void there, though maybe it wasn't felt until the playoffs.

That being said there was absolutely nothing McPhee could have done. After getting ripped off my his financial guy Fedorov had to make as much money as he possibly could in the last few seasons of his playing career and there was simply no way that was going to be in the NHL, let alone with the Caps.

I was bummed. Fedorov is one of my all time favorite players and when he resigned with the Caps after the '08 playoffs I bought a Caps Fedorov jersey.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Yeah they replaced Kozlov with Knuble and I think pretty much everyone agrees that was a good move for the Caps, especially since Kozlov never played a minute in the NHL afterwards.

Fedorov they replaced with Morrison and while he did a decent job centering the 2nd line, especially in the 1st half of the season, there was definitely a leadership void there, though maybe it wasn't felt until the playoffs.

That being said there was absolutely nothing McPhee could have done. After getting ripped off my his financial guy Fedorov had to make as much money as he possibly could in the last few seasons of his playing career and there was simply no way that was going to be in the NHL, let alone with the Caps.

I was bummed. Fedorov is one of my all time favorite players and when he resigned with the Caps after the '08 playoffs I bought a Caps Fedorov jersey.

Absolute shame about Fedorov getting ripped off. Even in his late 30s I think Fedorov was one of the best players to ever wear a Caps sweater. He played the game on a different level than everyone else.

HOLDITHERE*

One of my favorite hockey goals of all time. Just so perfect.

I miss both of them terribly.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

I was at that game wearing my Fedorov jersey. I still laugh a how people patted me on the back outside the verizon center after that game as if I had scored the goal. It was hysterical. It is funny at that time I had no doubt in my mind that at some point that team was going to win the cup. Not that is was going to be that year necessarily but at some point in the next couple years it was definitely going to happen.

What a maroon I was...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Dammit he was such a class act. And his mere presence made a difference with respect to how Ovechkin and Semin approached the game IMO.

F***ing money manager...

--EDIT--

There has never been a time that building was a as loud as from when he scored that goal until the final horn sounded. Those 5 minutes more or less were incredible...

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi

Fedorov was a great player and still had it at the end. One of the best all time. He could have been like Jagr and played a couple of more years in the NHL. Jagr will be 43 in February and is still a contributing player. Fedorov left at 39 1/2 if my math is correct.

Man Jurcina was on the ice for that goal. That takes me back. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=16898425

Quote:
Milan Jurcina, the subject of my story for tomorrow's paper, broke a third pane of plexiglass in practice today. For those of you keeping count, that's three in two practices.

glad hes shooting the puck a bit more"

My take on the 3 panes of glass breaking in two practices.

Most guys might say "let's go break some bread."

Not MJ. He says "Let's go break some glass." hah!

That should impress the rookie. Dang that sure impresses me!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the pass from Bradley. the quiet celebration in the face of the volcanic ovechkin. the jim houghson call on tsn is also awesome.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Flew into town on a red eye to go to that game withy parents. Top five all-te Caps moment and the best crowd experience ever. I remember Steckel talking about how the crowd energy have them the spark to hem the Rags in for the duration. Amazing night.

Burakovsky95*

The good ole days when Verizon Center was actually loud and we were you know really good and stuff

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Flew into town on a red eye to go to that game withy parents. Top five all-te Caps moment and the best crowd experience ever. I remember Steckel talking about how the crowd energy have them the spark to hem the Rags in for the duration. Amazing night.

Thats a game I keep wishing I was at. It came through on TV though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad