Why isn't the OHL more popular?

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
I too have always hoped for a more balanced schedule.....even just with our own conference!

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I too have always hoped for a more balanced schedule.....even just with our own conference!

These aren't professional players and the league is doing the right thing by making the OHL's hardest travel schedule a little easier. They do this for a lot of teams. North Bay and Sudbury aren't particularly good right now, but I didn't hear other fans complaining when the teams were near the top of the conference. These things are cyclical and the league can't overreact to a couple of bad seasons.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
These aren't professional players and the league is doing the right thing by making the OHL's hardest travel schedule a little easier. They do this for a lot of teams. North Bay and Sudbury aren't particularly good right now, but I didn't hear other fans complaining when the teams were near the top of the conference. These things are cyclical and the league can't overreact to a couple of bad seasons.

As a wolves fan, I have to laugh at the idea of them near the top of a conference.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
As a wolves fan, I have to laugh at the idea of them near the top of a conference.

That poster has a history of talking down to others while making ridiculous claims at the same time. Not worth the effort to read or respond to.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
That poster has a history of talking down to others while making ridiculous claims at the same time. Not worth the effort to read or respond to.

My thinking that the league should consider what is best for the players in terms of travel over a balanced schedule may differ from your opinion, but it is far from ridiculous. Please refrain from making false claims and remain on topic. Asinine comments like you just made are truly what isn't worth reading.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
This whole too much travel thing is ridiculous, even for outlier teams like the Soo. Because most of the league is located in relatively close proximity to each other, after the bus ride and checking into the hotel, there is little more than a few hours of travel for all 3 games on a weekend set. The only lengthy trip is the day before to get down to the hotel.

Compare that to the other leagues where you pack up, drive farther than the Soo, Sudbury etc, play your game then pack up again and drive hours to the next city for your next game.

Look at the Q playoff format for crying out loud. Last year, Halifax and Rouyn-Noranda hooked up in the 1st round.

To me, the OHL should be having a far more balanced schedule than it currently has. I’m really not sure what we’re protecting the kids from, because it definitely isn’t the rigours of travel.

If travel were so burdensome on players, the OHL would be winning the Memorial Cul every single year.

Reactions: count35

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Let's keep in mind that there is an academic aspect to this. It's unfair to ask player X in Ottawa to play fewer regional games and travel 10 hours to Saginaw to the detriment of his grades. It's also unfair to ask his team to try to compete with that built in disadvantage.

Also, air travel is far more common in the other leagues. Just because they may have it worse in terms of travel doesn't mean that the OHL has to be bad as well. The best teams still rise to the top in the playoffs.

Former Fan

Dec 1, 2017
I thought the topic was why was the OHLwasn't more popular, not that the travel schedule was to tough for the kids. Truth be known the unbalanced schedule exists as much for the owner's wallet as it does for the comfort of the kids. A schedule which was more about pleasing the fans would be more popular in a lot of communities on a year to year basis.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I thought the topic was why was the OHLwasn't more popular, not that the travel schedule was to tough for the kids. Truth be known the unbalanced schedule exists as much for the owner's wallet as it does for the comfort of the kids. A schedule which was more about pleasing the fans would be more popular in a lot of communities on a year to year basis.

This conversation started in response to one poster saying that the OHL does not take care of its season ticket holders by not scheduling very well...and he’s right. There’s no reason why the only visit for the year that an out-of-conference team makes to a city should occur at the beginning of the season (when players are still away at NHL camps) or during the world junior championships. Year after year there are fans in OHL cities that do not get to see star players on other teams because of the stupidity regarding scheduling.

Last edited:
Reactions: soo hound girl

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Let's keep in mind that there is an academic aspect to this. It's unfair to ask player X in Ottawa to play fewer regional games and travel 10 hours to Saginaw to the detriment of his grades. It's also unfair to ask his team to try to compete with that built in disadvantage.

Also, air travel is far more common in the other leagues. Just because they may have it worse in terms of travel doesn't mean that the OHL has to be bad as well. The best teams still rise to the top in the playoffs.

Well, if Ottawa is playing a game in Saginaw, it’s not just an 8.5 hrs trip to Saginaw (not 10 hrs) and then turn around and go home. If the 67’s are playing in Saginaw then they’re probably playing 2 other teams in the area as well over the course of a weekend. So it would probably mean, say, a 6.5 hr trip to Sarnia the day before the first game then checking into the hotel. Then, over the course of the weekend, there would be a 1.5 hrs trip to Saginaw one day, a 1 hr trip to Flint another day, a bus right from the hotel to the arena in Sarnia for the 3rd game followed by a 6.5 hrs trip home. It’s not outrageous to do that twice a year IMO.

In terms of education, when the team has checked into the hotel, the team educators will have lots of time to go over school work with the players. Again, when compared to the other leagues that travel from hotel to hotel, the OHL has it so much easier.

I’m not quite sure how extensive air travel is in the other leagues. I recall one playoff year in the WHL, there was an issue of unfair advantage because the Vancouver Giants were wanting to fly the team to Prince George for games but the Cougars’ owners were not going to foot the bill for the Cougars air travel to Vancouver. In the end, the Giants has to take the bus.

In the Q, I’m quite confident that the players take buses everywhere as well. I recently went on an east coast trip and caught 5 Q games in the maritimes. I distinctly recall seeing the Rouyn-Noranda wrapped team bus leaving the hotel in Saint John en route to Harbour Station.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Well, if Ottawa is playing a game in Saginaw, it’s not just an 8.5 hrs trip to Saginaw (not 10 hrs) and then turn around and go home. If the 67’s are playing in Saginaw then they’re probably playing 2 other teams in the area as well over the course of a weekend. So it would probably mean, say, a 6.5 hr trip to Sarnia the day before the first game then checking into the hotel. Then, over the course of the weekend, there would be a 1.5 hrs trip to Saginaw one day, a 1 hr trip to Flint another day, a bus right from the hotel to the arena in Sarnia for the 3rd game followed by a 6.5 hrs trip home. It’s not outrageous to do that twice a year IMO.

In terms of education, when the team has checked into the hotel, the team educators will have lots of time to go over school work with the players. Again, when compared to the other leagues that travel from hotel to hotel, the OHL has it so much easier.

I’m not quite sure how extensive air travel is in the other leagues. I recall one playoff year in the WHL, there was an issue of unfair advantage because the Vancouver Giants were wanting to fly the team to Prince George for games but the Cougars’ owners were not going to foot the bill for the Cougars air travel to Vancouver. In the end, the Giants has to take the bus.

In the Q, I’m quite confident that the players take buses everywhere as well. I recently went on an east coast trip and caught 5 Q games in the maritimes. I distinctly recall seeing the Rouyn-Noranda wrapped team bus leaving the hotel in Saint John en route to Harbour Station.

I have a friend who`s a Vancouver Giants STH. When i asked him about the travel....especially to somewhere like Brandon MB he explained that they only do that trip once every 2 years. I`m not sure how they fill out the WHL schedule but here in the OHL why not do like the NCAA and play a double header weekend. That way you could play someone from the Eastern Conference more than just one game at home a year, or even someone in the other division more than we already do.

I for one am tired of seeing the same 5 or 6 teams over and over. I don`t even care if Sudbury or Flint or Saginaw become league powerhouses! I`m just tired of seeing the same jerseys!

:thumbd:

Reactions: OSA

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I have a friend who`s a Vancouver Giants STH. When i asked him about the travel....especially to somewhere like Brandon MB he explained that they only do that trip once every 2 years. I`m not sure how they fill out the WHL schedule but here in the OHL why not do like the NCAA and play a double header weekend. That way you could play someone from the Eastern Conference more than just one game at home a year, or even someone in the other division more than we already do.

I for one am tired of seeing the same 5 or 6 teams over and over. I don`t even care if Sudbury or Flint or Saginaw become league powerhouses! I`m just tired of seeing the same jerseys!

I completely agree about double headers

In the WHL, I know that Prince George often has double headers at home. Also, I believe that the Vancouver Giants had a double header this year with Tri-City (you can probably confirm with your friend)

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

Rivalries are good for hockey in my opinion. I get excited for the games against Sudbury and I usually catch one or two there with my pals. You certainly can't argue with the high quality games that the two teams have played lately. Very exciting.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Double headers are a good idea. That is why Erie plays a pair each year with OS. I don't know if any other teams in the OHL do this, but it also allows us to drive to OS each winter to watch the Otters play their games on the road. Owen Sound sends a bus or 2 of fans to Erie each fall to watch the double header (and get in some tax free shopping).

Former Fan

Dec 1, 2017
Here we go again Windsor is leaving DePetrio and coach at home. The league should have some concern for the product the fan sees. It shows no respect for the fan allowing teams to sit players for reasons other than injuries personal reasons or discipline. Makes a mockery of season standings and could influence season standings and playoff
positions. Last year the Memorial Cup was won by a team that did not win a playoff round losing a game 7 on London"s home ice. These points today and when star players are not in the lineup are just as important as any other during the year. I am a Greyhound fan and today I was looking forward to a real test for the Greyhound win streak. Sucks the emotion out of the game when the hounds probably think they have won before the game starts. Does this streak now deserve a asterick beside it in the history books. If your removing players from the league do not play games that count in the standings. This league is run like crap with no respect for fans and this is why it is losing popularity. Hounds are on a 16 game win streak and haven't sold out a game yet.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Thats BS!

They may be going to world junior camp, but they still unnecessarily avoided the trip to the Soo. Everybody else that's going to WJ camp played with their teams this weekend through to the end of yesterday's games.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Thats BS!

They may be going to world junior camp, but they still unnecessarily avoided the trip to the Soo. Everybody else that's going to WJ camp played with their teams this weekend through to the end of yesterday's games.
Maybe Windsor was trying to protect his numbers maybe they thought hounds would light him up they are trying to trade him and stats matter

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think Windsor was being proactive by not sending DiPietro up to the Soo. Kid has a chance to be on Team Canada. The back ups have to get in some games. Windsor isn't going to be a contender this year so it matters more to be cautious with their top asset. Personally I hope he makes the team and does well. Canada needs a clutch goalie. Just an opinion but I don't see the issue.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think Windsor was being proactive by not sending DiPietro up to the Soo. Kid has a chance to be on Team Canada. The back ups have to get in some games. Windsor isn't going to be a contender this year so it matters more to be cautious with their top asset. Personally I hope he makes the team and does well. Canada needs a clutch goalie. Just an opinion but I don't see the issue.

The issue is what the poster "Former Fan" was talking about. His issue is that in the Soo, scheduling deprives the paying fan of seeing star players depending on the schedule.

If the Spits were visiting a team close to home on Sunday, DiPietro and the coach make the trip and DiPietro likely plays.

Read his post on page four of this thread dated Dec 1st. You'll see his issue.

Former Fan

Dec 1, 2017
London was scheduled in the Sault the first weekend of the season, check out their roster for that game. The next time they play in the Sault is the last game of the year in the Sault. For the last number of years London has been scheduled the last game of the season in the Sault like this year and has left half their team in London if the game had little or no effect on the standings so they could rest their star players. If this happens again this season how many of London's players that were at NHL camps would Sault fans have seen this season. The league has allowed this to go on for several years now and I believe this sort of management by the league is causing the OHL to lose popularity as well as allowing the draft to be manipulated and the trade deadline stacking of teams making a mockery of the playoffs. If the league is allowing the stacking of teams there is no need to have 16 teams in the playoffs.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Still really I see no issue. Most opposing fans are glad to hear a goalie that coud possibly shut them down is scratched. It's a different situation if a team does it hopefully to lose a game to keep a place in the standings near the end of the season. Other than that it means nothing. If others take it serious that is their bag and I am fine with that too. I think the league probably knew that the Spits were doing this and were fine with it. Doubt they could do much because they are allowed to play whoever they like on their present roster.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
I feel a simple answer would be don't buy anything. If you purchase items at these prices you are part of the problem, not part of the answer. Where does it state that you must purchase $8-$9 beers, $5 slices of pizza, $5 hot dogs etc etc etc. Are you there for the food or the hockey. I have been a Storm STH for over a decade and when the chinese food placed was forced to close, by the city who own and run the concessions, I stopped purchasing anything at the Sleeman. Funny I can make it 2-3 hours without a drink or some fast food.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
In Erie, craft beer or Stella can be purchased for $6.00 a pop. You can get a locally made Smith's hot dog (now the official hot dog of the Penguins) for $3.00. Erie's prices are, by far, cheaper than most. You will pay $9.00 for a can of beer at a Pen's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad