Why isn't Pierre Turgeon in the HHOF

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
He absolutely should be in.

Usually the arguments against him are that he doesn't have a ton of awards and no cup. I don't want to see the word compiler here.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I never thought I'd see the day Pierre Turgeon was described as "an absolute warrior."

LOL touche. I don't mean that as a gritty fighter but as a unrelenting skill player. He had no give in him when it came to that, imo. Hell, watch the last Legends game he played, he skated and played like he still belonged in the League and he's closing in on 50.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He'll get in eventually. He probably should be but the compiler types who play forever but were never a top 3-5 player for any decent stretch usually don't get in until there's a weak class. It doesn't help that he never sniffed a Cup.

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Turgeon was going for the gold but a bunch of moronic boneheads around Sanipass decided otherwise and threw it away. Not exactly his fault he didn't win more.
For a lot of people, Turgeon acquired the reputation of a soft, selfish player at that moment. Fair or not, it's a hard label to shake.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Turgeon; 1st overall pick in '87

1327 points in 1294 regular season games (1.03 PPG)
97 points in 109 playoff games (.89 PPG)

Modano; 1st overall pick in '88

1374 points in 1499 regular season games (0.92 PPG)
146 points in 176 playoff games (.83 PPG)

Sundin; 1st overall pick in '89

1349 points in 1346 regular season games (1 PPG)
82 points in 91 playoff games (.9 PPG)

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The soft part but also he peaked in arguably the deepest era in the nhl for top talent (for example never got a team canada spot and only played in 4 All stars game and never cracked top 5 in center one season).

Only 2 top 10 in points without bringing much else, he seem a really good step below say a Marian Hossa

Last edited:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Only 2 top 10 points finishes, but top 30 points finishes basically throughout his career (11 out of 12 years, with the outlier being 37th). He has the numbers, but is held out by reputation and he doesn't have any hardware to force voters to consider him despite that reputation.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Because when I asked him for an autograph after a Sabres practice at Sabreland when I was a wee 5 year old, he looked at me like I was covered in boogers and shit, and merely walked past me with a hateful darkness in his eyes like a monster. I went home that night and prayed to the hockey gods in Buffalo that he never achieve any great success, and certainly never obtain a seat in the HOF.

For this, the gods demanded, and I agreed, that the city of Buffalo may come close, but shall never win a championship throughout its existence.

Sorry Buffalo, but I remain satisfied.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Only 2 top 10 points finishes, but top 30 points finishes basically throughout his career (11 out of 12 years, with the outlier being 37th). He has the numbers, but is held out by reputation and he doesn't have any hardware to force voters to consider him despite that reputation.

Top-30 point finishes??? That's your standard?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Turgeon; 1st overall pick in '87

1327 points in 1294 regular season games (1.03 PPG)
97 points in 109 playoff games (.89 PPG)

Modano; 1st overall pick in '88

1374 points in 1499 regular season games (0.92 PPG)
146 points in 176 playoff games (.83 PPG)

Sundin; 1st overall pick in '89

1349 points in 1346 regular season games (1 PPG)
82 points in 91 playoff games (.9 PPG)

Doesn't mean they deserved to get in. Both those guys basically got in for political reasons. Modano for being all-timer American point leader, and Sundin for being a Toronto fan favourite. If Modano was Slovakian and Sundin played for Anaheim, would be different.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
This man needs no introduction. Why isn't he in the HHOF? Is it because his name isn't on the Cup? Genuinely curious. He was my favorite player growing up and I feel he's horribly underrated and an absolute warrior. Thoughts?

everyone was sitting to go and vote yea or nay, and the plan was to walk up to the polling station to vote. Although everyone expected people to vote, mysteriously everyone just unexpectedly and without explanation just stayed in their seats.

the irony was delicious

Reactions: GoldenSeal

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Loved Turgeon when he played for the Isles. A tremendous player with terrific offensive instincts. Had a clutch playoffs until Dale Hunter took him out.

After he moved on to other teams he continued to put up good numbers, but he never seemed to peak into the uper-ecehlon. There were always several centers at a given time who were considered better overall... Lemieux, Sakic, Federov, Yzerman, Modano, Gilmour, Roenick, Sundin, Niewendyk, even Weight, Yashin and Arnott put up some great years.

If I remember correctly, he was seen as a playoff flop and his commitment to winning was questioned when he was on Montreal and St. Louis. I remember the nickname "Tin Man" was given to him for the lack of heart.

To summarize, he was an offensive dynamo who never won much or played a very inspiring overall game. Basically, the current day John Tavares :sarcasm:

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Because when I asked him for an autograph after a Sabres practice at Sabreland when I was a wee 5 year old, he looked at me like I was covered in boogers and ****, and merely walked past me with a hateful darkness in his eyes like a monster. I went home that night and prayed to the hockey gods in Buffalo that he never achieve any great success, and certainly never obtain a seat in the HOF.

For this, the gods demanded, and I agreed that the city of Buffalo may come close, but shall never win a championship throughout its existence.

Sorry Buffalo, but I remain satisfied.
You messed with powers beyond your comprehension.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Doesn't mean they deserved to get in. Both those guys basically got in for political reasons. Modano for being all-timer American point leader, and Sundin for being a Toronto fan favourite. If Modano was Slovakian and Sundin played for Anaheim, would be different.

Sundin is also a Swedish hero with one of the best International hockey career of is era, if not the best.

Also Turgeon played 58% of is career before the DPE started in 97-98, Sundin/Modano only 39% of it, comparing ppg without adjusting for the league scoring can be a bit misleading.

Reactions: Franck and johan f

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad