Why isn't Hockey big in Britain or France?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
It's related to the point that apparently ice hockey was invented in Britain and played on frozen lakes, which don't become frozen anymore. Like I said in my lifetime it has only happened once, when a few years ago we were able to travel to somewhere in Oxfordshire to skate on a lake that did freeze, maybe you know the place. Yes many lakes do freeze over a little bit sometimes, but the ice is never thick enough to be safe to skate on.

No, skating in ponds has never been a thing, at least where i'm from.

I have no opinion or information to add on what hockey was like relative to the climate in 1930. Having frozen lakes or not wouldn't change particularly much now, either way.

The comparison in standard of living between the US and the UK is not relevant to hockey, it's just a response to someone who said that the UK is the wealthier country, which is just incorrect no matter what facts you look at, though it is true that there is greater income inequality in the US.

The income equality divide in the UK is pretty severe, if i recall, thought i do not possess any stats on hand. Though income inequality is only one small measurement when having a conversation like this. Both countries have a plethora of similar and different socioeconomic and politics issues, none of which have any real influence on ice hockey. The grass is always greener though i guess ....

Money is great and all, but it needs to be used efficiently.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
It's hilarious with the football, whenever England get knocked out of a major tournament everyone moans about foreigners in the EPL for about 2 days, then it's back to supporting clubs like Arsenal with their 1 English player in the starting 11 (if that)

Arsenal aren't the best example to use.

Also, I can't help but read your posts in Alan Partridge's voice.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
LOL..how is that racist against Japan?? I said Japan could BEAT Britain.
Well, yeah, but why are you stating the obvious? You seem to not be following what's going on in Division I, otherwise you'd have noticed what Japan has done in the past and what they're doing now in terms of their on-ice performance. If you paid more attention, you'd also have noticed their IIHF world ranking is ahead of Great Britain at the moment.

And I believe you said even Japan could beat Britain.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I got the numbers from http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-iihf/survey-of-players/
Its 2013 numbers

Great Britain
Population: 63,395,574
Total Registered Players: 6,798
Senior Registered Players: 2,289
U20 Registered Players: 3,815
Female Registered Players: 694
Male Referees: 292
Female Referees: 27
Indoor Rinks: 84
Outdoor Rinks: 0

France
Population: 65,951,611
Total Registered Players: 18,041
Senior Registered Players: 6,763
U20 Registered Players: 10,022
Female Registered Players: 1,256
Male Referees: 99
Female Referees: 7
Indoor Rinks: 124
Outdoor Rinks: 5

I feel the best way to grow a sport is getting more kids to start playing the sport. These pro teams in Great Britain and France need to spend more on youth squads or set up a youth hockey program. They need to market the sport more by getting it in the media more often.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
More youth in GB will just result in more youth in GB being developed poorly... and the few quality kids will still be mismanaged once they get to senior hockey because they don't understand how to develop players.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
More youth in GB will just result in more youth in GB being developed poorly... and the few quality kids will still be mismanaged once they get to senior hockey because they don't understand how to develop players.

Most of the EIHL head coaches are Canadians. I am pretty sure they can get some former CHL players to coach the youth squad or minor league teams. They can bring the training techniques the Canadian major junior leagues use. With the number of players going through CHL, I bet there will be a few willing to move and become a coach. I pretty sure they can find people who are willing to take a lower salary so they can continue to be a part of hockey. So these teams won't have to break the bank to get a youth squad going.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Most of the EIHL head coaches are Canadians. I am pretty sure they can get some former CHL players to coach the youth squad or minor league teams. They can bring the training techniques the Canadian major junior leagues use. With the number of players going through CHL, I bet there will be a few willing to move and become a coach. I pretty sure they can find people who are willing to take a lower salary so they can continue to be a part of hockey. So these teams won't have to break the bank to get a youth squad going.

There are tons of opportunities for youth coaches in Canada though. Why would a young coach choose to leave home, where their teams are more competitive and have more resources to work with, to coach to in a country where hockey is often at the bottom of the sport totem pole?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

Yes, most are Canadians and PLAYER COACHES, hired to SAVE MONEY because they can't even afford one extra guy on a payroll

And you think clubs will splash out extra cash for coaches for their youth system (which many of them aren't actually attached to as part of one organisation)?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Yes, most are Canadians and PLAYER COACHES, hired to SAVE MONEY because they can't even afford one extra guy on a payroll

And you think clubs will splash out extra cash for coaches for their youth system (which many of them aren't actually attached to as part of one organisation)?

I still think the day that changes is the day things start turning around... worked for Sweden.

Senior clubs look after everything top to bottom and rely on developing their homegrowns rather than buying 11 Johnny ECHLers every year and ignoring their own guys.

Unfortunately the majority of the GB hockey community can't see more than 1 issue at a time.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I still think the day that changes is the day things start turning around... worked for Sweden.

Senior clubs look after everything top to bottom and rely on developing their homegrowns rather than buying 11 Johnny ECHLers every year and ignoring their own guys.

Unfortunately the majority of the GB hockey community can't see more than 1 issue at a time.

Soon to be 12 and then 13 Johnny ECHLers :shakehead

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Well, yeah, but why are you stating the obvious? You seem to not be following what's going on in Division I, otherwise you'd have noticed what Japan has done in the past and what they're doing now in terms of their on-ice performance. If you paid more attention, you'd also have noticed their IIHF world ranking is ahead of Great Britain at the moment.

And I believe you said even Japan could beat Britain.

You know the conventional wisdom is Euro teams are much better than Asian teams at ice hockey. So I just gave it some emphasis that in this case the Asian team is clearly better!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad