Why isn’t icing enforced to the inch like offside.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Just say NO to A.I. at every turn đź‘Ž
Exactly but the refs and mistakes are part of the human element of sports.

It's a bit disengenious for people to seek AI type of perfection which is what often people are trying to do around these parts.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Icing battles are likely the most dangerous thing you do in hockey, by far in terms of catastrophic injuries, anyone who has played seriously will tell you it’s better off being called this way.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Exactly but the refs and mistakes are part of the human element of sports.

It's a bit disengenious for people to seek AI type of perfection which is what often people are trying to do around these parts.
I'm thinking AI watching for offsides and icing is something that should be explored(maybe puck over the glass as well). Have all the officials watch for penalties.

I think the game has just become too fast, and part of the idea is you could just eliminate offside reviews completely.

As for why not just have computers watch for penalties as well? Because humans are not robots and are always gonna be doing something to get an edge. It would just get annoying for calling the rule book perfectly. However, with all refs focused on looking out for infractions should result in more consistent calls. Also, refs need to be on the ice so players don't get out of hand anyways.

Reactions: wetcoast

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I think the reason it's called the way it is now is to avoid injuries.

How many times would guys get laid out having to skate those extra few feet, often times directly into a defender already holding the line stationary.

I always thought it was just to avoid players making unnecessary contact every time they dump it in

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
It is much easier for the league and referees to management games to be tighter if the referees has discretion on icing, just like they do on penalties

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
If they called icing to the inch like off-side, that Boston game 7 GWG in OT doesn't count :sarcasm:
Except it wasn't. Pasta beat the Leaf player to the dot, and Lindholm's stick was over the centre line. Sportsnet is usually quick to jump on any kind of missed call, especially against the Leafs, and not a peep out of them.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think the reason it's called the way it is now is to avoid injuries.

How many times would guys get laid out having to skate those extra few feet, often times directly into a defender already holding the line stationary.

I always thought it was just to avoid players making unnecessary contact every time they dump it in
It's about player safety.

Its caused the most injuries by far. If you just run to the line you have time to stop.

You can make 3 blue line crossing an auto icing call

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They really do need to tighten up icing, there is so many instances where a guy is 2ft behind the line and its fine that time.. but then next game the guy is 1.5ft behind the line and that's icing.

Nevermind the fact linesmen never blow it down exactly when the player is at the hashmarks per the rules. Some time its top of the circle, sometimes its when they are almost at the icing line.. its all over the map.

Linesmen really need to get on the same playing field and have some consistency.

The game is placed on ice, not a field. That's why they call it "icing".

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Icing seems to be enforced like if there is any doubt, it is called icing. So many d-men skate back trying to make it look like they're skating hard, and it's still called icing.

I think it should be the opposite, to keep the games moving. If there is any doubt, icing should be waved off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad