Why isn’t every overtime goal challenged?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Every goal in OT is reviewed by the league so there are no challenges because they would be redundant

This isn't true. They only review to ensure it was a 'good goal' in the sense that the puck crossed the line, the net was on the moorings etc. They don't review for offside or goalie interference.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Every goal in the NHL is automatically reviewed. Obviously you are only going to challenge for offside or interference if it was close... usually it's not.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I believe the rule states challenges in the final minute of the game and OT can not be challenged by the coach, any challenge comes from the league. I may be wrong but I thought that's how it worked.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
This isn't true. They only review to ensure it was a 'good goal' in the sense that the puck crossed the line, the net was on the moorings etc. They don't review for offside or goalie interference.
Rule 78.8. The league reviews all goals in OT and the final minute of regulation INCLUDING off-side and GI determinations.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Teams can’t challenge in OT. The league office looks at everything like they do normal goals but in OT also offside and goalie interference and if there’s something that could potentially be reviewable they’ll call down and get them to look at it. Teams can ask for reviews to help incite the process if they want but it’s up to the league and they're not going to be officially reviewing stuff that’s not even considered close for no reason.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
78.8 League Initiated Review -

In the final minute of play in the 3rd period and at any point in Overtime (Regular Season and Playoffs), Hockey Operations will initiate the review of any scenario that would otherwise be subject to a Coach’s Challenge. Hockey Operations will continue to initiate and be responsible for the review of all goals subject to Video Review under Rule 38.4. Where a Coach’s Challenge is available on a scoring play potentially involving “Interference on the Goalkeeper” or “Off-side,” Hockey Operations will, as an initial and threshold matter, determine that the puck entered the net and is a good hockey goal before the play will be subject to further review by means of a Coach’s Challenge (or, in the final minute of play or in Overtime, a review initiated by Hockey Operations). If a team requests a Coach’s Challenge but Video Review under Rule 38.4 renders such Challenge unnecessary, then the Challenge will be deemed not to have been made and the timeout will be preserved.

-----------------------------------------------------

The rule as it's written is confusing af.....so they look at the play to see if there was any eggregious offside or goalie interference? And if not it's up to the coaches to ask for further review?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
What do teams have to lose?

When I'm at the game and the OT goal is scored I start heading for the exit, traffic tends to back up quite a bit after games but as long as I bounce out immediately after the game ends I'm usually in good shape. So if I'm midway down the tunnel and I hear "Los Angeles is challenging that the play was offside" I've got to stop and head back to the steps. I'd see the replay, scratch my head wondering why the hell they're bothering on a clearly onside play, start leaving again as they confirm the goal. Now, whatever traffic is waiting for me when I get to my car is the coach's fault. Doesn't matter if the delay didn't actually lead to it, I'm still blaming the coach.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
78.8 League Initiated Review -

In the final minute of play in the 3rd period and at any point in Overtime (Regular Season and Playoffs), Hockey Operations will initiate the review of any scenario that would otherwise be subject to a Coach’s Challenge. Hockey Operations will continue to initiate and be responsible for the review of all goals subject to Video Review under Rule 38.4. Where a Coach’s Challenge is available on a scoring play potentially involving “Interference on the Goalkeeper” or “Off-side,” Hockey Operations will, as an initial and threshold matter, determine that the puck entered the net and is a good hockey goal before the play will be subject to further review by means of a Coach’s Challenge (or, in the final minute of play or in Overtime, a review initiated by Hockey Operations). If a team requests a Coach’s Challenge but Video Review under Rule 38.4 renders such Challenge unnecessary, then the Challenge will be deemed not to have been made and the timeout will be preserved.

-----------------------------------------------------

The rule as it's written is confusing af.....so they look at the play to see if there was any eggregious offside or goalie interference? And if not it's up to the coaches to ask for further review?

What it means is that there's two separate types of review, the automatic (puck entered the net legally, crossed the line, not kicked, no high stick) and the Coaches challenge (which is done automatically in the last minute or OT and is just interference/offside). They are done separately in that order.

i.e.

Goal is scored in a scramble in the crease, looks like it might have been kicked, might also be goalie interference.

First step - Announce to the arena that the goal is under review for a kick

Check the review for a kick, decide there was no kick.

Announce to the arena that the puck was not kicked over the line and it entered the net legally, but now you're reviewing for goaltender interference.

Review shows there was in fact interference.

Announce to arena there was interference and therefore no goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad