Why isn’t every overtime goal challenged?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by mymerlincat, Nov 5, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. mymerlincat

mymerlincat Moderator

none
    What do teams have to lose?

egelband likes this.
  2. Tommy Shelby

Tommy Shelby Registered User

3. dechire

dechire Janmark Enthusiast

professional cat petter
    Every goal in OT is reviewed by the league so there are no challenges because they would be redundant

CupsOverCash likes this.
  4. Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles Registered User

This isn't true. They only review to ensure it was a 'good goal' in the sense that the puck crossed the line, the net was on the moorings etc. They don't review for offside or goalie interference.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  5. TaLoN

TaLoN All Hail the FBJ!

Every goal in the NHL is automatically reviewed. Obviously you are only going to challenge for offside or interference if it was close... usually it's not.

6. Freeeeedom

Freeeeedom But they can never take our Eichel

They have zero to lose.

For most goals they also have zero to gain.

Hence it would be useless

7. Not Sure

Not Sure Registered User

I believe the rule states challenges in the final minute of the game and OT can not be challenged by the coach, any challenge comes from the league. I may be wrong but I thought that's how it worked.

8. hatterson

hatterson Registered User

Software Developer
    What they have to lose is making the officials hate you for wasting their time. It's a good way to make sure your team gets fewer of the 50/50 calls in the future.

That's also ignoring the rules issue

Kid Dynamite likes this.
  9. dechire

dechire Janmark Enthusiast

professional cat petter
    Rule 78.8. The league reviews all goals in OT and the final minute of regulation INCLUDING off-side and GI determinations.

Filthy Dangles likes this.
  10. Canada4Gold

Canada4Gold Registered User

Teams can’t challenge in OT. The league office looks at everything like they do normal goals but in OT also offside and goalie interference and if there’s something that could potentially be reviewable they’ll call down and get them to look at it. Teams can ask for reviews to help incite the process if they want but it’s up to the league and they're not going to be officially reviewing stuff that’s not even considered close for no reason.

11. Nick1219

Nick1219 Registered User

Respect of their opponents?
    Time?

12. Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles Registered User

78.8 League Initiated Review -

In the final minute of play in the 3rd period and at any point in Overtime (Regular Season and Playoffs), Hockey Operations will initiate the review of any scenario that would otherwise be subject to a Coach’s Challenge. Hockey Operations will continue to initiate and be responsible for the review of all goals subject to Video Review under Rule 38.4. Where a Coach’s Challenge is available on a scoring play potentially involving “Interference on the Goalkeeper” or “Off-side,” Hockey Operations will, as an initial and threshold matter, determine that the puck entered the net and is a good hockey goal before the play will be subject to further review by means of a Coach’s Challenge (or, in the final minute of play or in Overtime, a review initiated by Hockey Operations). If a team requests a Coach’s Challenge but Video Review under Rule 38.4 renders such Challenge unnecessary, then the Challenge will be deemed not to have been made and the timeout will be preserved.

-----------------------------------------------------

The rule as it's written is confusing af.....so they look at the play to see if there was any eggregious offside or goalie interference? And if not it's up to the coaches to ask for further review?

13. redcard

redcard System Poster

When I'm at the game and the OT goal is scored I start heading for the exit, traffic tends to back up quite a bit after games but as long as I bounce out immediately after the game ends I'm usually in good shape. So if I'm midway down the tunnel and I hear "Los Angeles is challenging that the play was offside" I've got to stop and head back to the steps. I'd see the replay, scratch my head wondering why the hell they're bothering on a clearly onside play, start leaving again as they confirm the goal. Now, whatever traffic is waiting for me when I get to my car is the coach's fault. Doesn't matter if the delay didn't actually lead to it, I'm still blaming the coach.

14. redcard

redcard System Poster

What it means is that there's two separate types of review, the automatic (puck entered the net legally, crossed the line, not kicked, no high stick) and the Coaches challenge (which is done automatically in the last minute or OT and is just interference/offside). They are done separately in that order.

i.e.

Goal is scored in a scramble in the crease, looks like it might have been kicked, might also be goalie interference.

First step - Announce to the arena that the goal is under review for a kick

Check the review for a kick, decide there was no kick.

Announce to the arena that the puck was not kicked over the line and it entered the net legally, but now you're reviewing for goaltender interference.

Review shows there was in fact interference.

Announce to arena there was interference and therefore no goal.