Why is this team penalized so much every year?

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
I thought long and hard about this and then realized that all the refs are probably jealous of MacLean's stache.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Supposedly the refs performance is assessed after every game. By my account most of them would be fired by now.

Therefore the simple conclusion:
It's not the refs fault it's a league directive. The suits have decided that's it's not the time for a Sens cup run yet. That's all.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Wut? His Penalties were 100+ just about every season until his third in Boston in 08/09. He only started playing in the late 90's (97/98) and arrived in Ottawa in 2001.

Sorry, I had meant the decade later (showing how old I am).

But PIM's have nothing to do with leaving your team short handed. Coincidental minors, majors and misconducts don't create shorthanded opportunities. Basically, looking at PIM's to figure out whether a guy gives you a lot of short handed opportunities is useless. Chara got in a lot of fights and mutual altercations that didn't hurt the team in terms of PP's against.

In 2009-10 for instance, Chara drew the same number of minors per 60 mins, as he took himself (0.7). Other years, it was a bit higher, but that is to be expected from d-men in general. As a comparison that same year, Phillips took 0.6 per 60, where as he only drew 0.4 per 60. So he was a negative (again, normal for a defender).The next year, Phillips took 0.6 (just a shade more than Chara in his last year), but only drew 0.2. This from a "Disciplined" guy. He is basically very similar to Chara in terms of the net short handed v powerplays he is part of over the long haul.

Now the guys I'm talking about hurting us...

In that same '09-10 season, Sutton took 1.3/60, while he only drew 0.3/60. The next year, Matt Carkner took 1.2 penalties per 60 mins, but only drew 0.2 penalties per 60 mins. So both of these guys basically cost us an extra PP per every 60 minutes they were on the ice, or every 3 games or so. That is really bad over a full season.

Check out behindthenet.ca and take a look and Pens Drawn/60 and Pens Taken/60. Great stuff to really shed some light on this stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad