why is there a 60-games-played minimum for the plus/minus award?

trudatman*

....During the 1998–99 season, Alexander Karpovtsev led the league with a +39 rating. However, he played in 58 games and was ineligible since there is a 60 game minimum. Therefore, LeClair was given the award....
what if he had done it in 39 games... or 29? how is that not a greater achievement, more deserving of the award? 60 is a lot of games.

DyerMaker66*

what if he had done it in 39 games... or 29? how is that not a greater achievement, more deserving of the award? 60 is a lot of games.

Because it's easier to look better over a short period of time than it is to actually sustain a high level of play over the course of (almost) an entire season. I mean, Sam Gagner for example once had a +6 in one night.

GuineaPig

Jul 11, 2011
Montréal
The Roger Crozier Award used 25 games, similar to the Jennings, but it should really have had a minimum of at least 50 as well.

trudatman*

well, I figure if you played one game in the season, you probably got five, at most, so you wouldn't win. but if you managed to get thirty in twenty games, you are a beast. if a minimum is necessary (I'm not yet convinced), I think 41 or 42 is good. for short seasons half or half plus one.

crabcz

Sep 17, 2007
Prague
What if someone managed to be +60 in 59 games but won it someone who was +35 in 60 games?

They should give the award to the best two-way player (Selke is just for forwards) and maybe take the +/- stat into consideration.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Obviously, thier is a matter of representativity of the sampling ! in 10 games, vs the weakest team or the team with the weakeast opposing line,

++

I do not dislike the +/- statistic !, of course, like all stats, it aint perfect.
All in all, it still indicates the added value of a player. It is an interesting complement for the Goals Assists and Points. Beyond the Assist/Goal ratio.
Should logically be correlated.

And it is not an absolute indication for the level of a player, it is a complement.
(obviously first lines will play better players than 3rd lines ! with the same distribution of + and -)

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Since it is counting stat, there isn't a good reason to have a minimum number of games played.

Its not a pure counting stat though as the total can drop. Its a fluctuating counting stat. With point once you can only go up. With +/- you can easily go down. Look at Jamie Benn who went -9 over a 4 game stretch as a great example.

Catamo

Jul 5, 2006
British Columbia
Because it's easier to look better over a short period of time than it is to actually sustain a high level of play over the course of (almost) an entire season. I mean, Sam Gagner for example once had a +6 in one night.

If Player A goes +40 in 50 games, I would imagine he would atleast be an even +/- over the games he missed.

I was not aware that the award had a 60 game requirement and am not able to make any sense of it.

I guess its the NHL trying to send a message to players who choose to get injured..

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
has this trophy been presented yet? obviously Dupuis is the winner, but i have yet to see a press-release or an announcement.

trudatman*

I don't think they can give it out for this past regular season. show me a guy who played sixty games.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Because having a 62-game requirement would be an exorbitantly huge requirement for such a prestigious award. And only 58 games? Seriously, get that nonsense out of my face.

Watch someone take this post seriously now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad