why is the nhl so obsessed with the military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
No they don’t.

Only in North America is pro sports all wrapped-up with militarism and nationalism and flag-waving.

In most countries, people have the sensible view that sports doesn’t have anything to do with those things.

The time to play your national anthem is when you medal at the Olympics. Not before every regular season sporting event thousands of times a year.

Its all about burning in nationalism and installing some weird notion that being a hired killer for the government is noble.

Its pretty f***ed up when you think about it, but so is sending recruitment officers to highschools.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
And what does playing the national anthem have to do with the military?

Not 100% sure but I think the tradition of playing the Anthem before the games in most sports started or at least become systematic during war and continued after them with teams filled with war veteran.

I do not think the NHL is anything special on that regard, specially not versus the NFL.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
No they don’t.

Only in America is pro sports all wrapped-up with militarism and nationalism and flag-waving.

In most countries, people have the sensible view that sports doesn’t have anything to do with those things.

The time to play your national anthem is when you medal at the Olympics. Not before every regular season sporting event thousands of times a year.
fixed it for you

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
No they don’t.

Only in North America is pro sports all wrapped-up with militarism and nationalism and flag-waving.

The time to play your
It's not a secret that the military pays for exposure in sports. It's also not some deep seated conspiracy or anything. We have an all-volunteer military and it just so happens that the demographics that watch competitive professional sports include the demographics of people that need to join the military and the parents of the people we need to join the military.

The fact that this comes up as often as it does seems like a disingenuous effort to develop a political commentary or a complete misunderstanding of marketing.
The forced patriotism is a bit overdone imo but they are going to do it as long as it makes them money.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't mind at hockey games when they announce a member of the military before the game and everyone stands and applauds for a few seconds. I assume those are paid for as well but it's good for people to remember that the Unites States is still at war.

It would be great if the government was as focused on caring for veterans after their service as they were getting people to sign up in the first place.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
fixed it for you

No, I had it right the first time. When it comes to waving giant flags at sporting events and playing their anthem everywhere, Canada is the same as the US.
toronto-maple-leafs-game-air-canada-centre.jpg

McMahon-Stadium-fans-waving-the-giant-Canadian-flag.jpg

the-fans-at-scotiabank-place-pass-around-a-giant-canadian-flag-the-picture-id92929650

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
No they don’t.

This implies that militarism, nationalism, and flag-waving are bad.

An absurd claim, to say the least.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I don't mind at hockey games when they announce a member of the military before the game and everyone stands and applauds for a few seconds. I assume those are paid for as well but it's good for people to remember that the Unites States is still at war.

It would be great if the government was as focused on caring for veterans after their service as they were getting people to sign up in the first place.
At my local WHL games there's a sponsored military family every game and the name of the sponsor is announced. It should be exactly the same for the military in the NHL. "Sponsored by the Department of Defense..." or something similar. I've seen it done more recently but it should be required. If something is a paid advertisement, the consumer should be informed.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Not 100% sure but I think the tradition of playing the Anthem before the games in most sports started or at least become systematic during war and continued after them with teams filled with war veteran.

I do not think the NHL is anything special on that regard, specially not versus the NFL.

https://www.history.com/news/why-the-star-spangled-banner-is-played-at-sporting-events

Started during World War I. The NFL mandated it after World War II, and most leagues (including the NHL) followed suit shortly thereafter.

I really don't think its that bad to take a whole minute and half to pause and pay respect before a community event (for really that's what a sporting event is -- a largish gathering of members of the community) to those who fought and/or died, not just in recent wars/conflicts, but all wars/conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad