why is the nhl so obsessed with the military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The NHL should copy the WWE and have their next outdoor classic be a Tribute To The Troops.

Chicago Vs. Philadelphia, of course.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
All sports do the same thing

No they don’t.

Only in North America is pro sports all wrapped-up with militarism and nationalism and flag-waving.

In most countries, people have the sensible view that sports doesn’t have anything to do with those things.

The time to play your national anthem is when you medal at the Olympics. Not before every regular season sporting event thousands of times a year.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
No they don’t.

Only in North America is pro sports all wrapped-up with militarism and nationalism and flag-waving.

In most countries, people have the sensible view that sports doesn’t have anything to do with those things.

The time to play your national anthem is when you medal at the Olympics. Not before every regular season sporting event thousands of times a year.

Not sure what the big deal is? Are you saying something is wrong with the US leagues taking a month or week out of the way to raise money for issues like PTSD or wounded warriors every year? During the NFL’s fundraiser, I think it raised over $10 million for those causes.

Other than that, I’m not really sure what you are talking about by flag waving or militarism. Nothing else really goes on in that regard.

And what does playing the national anthem have to do with the military?

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
is this for real? like are we talking about under the table or do they have a contract with the military
A few years ago it came out that the US military was secretly paying pro sports teams for promotion and the NHL was included in that although I'm not sure of the extent. Definitely not even close to as much as they pay the NFL though.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Before a random faceoff of some game I watched last year, Jim Hughson said something along the lines of "we thank the peace officers and emergency service personnel who work to allow us to enjoy trivial things like this" and it was a thousand times more meaningful to me than the pomp and circumstance before games.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's not a secret that the military pays for exposure in sports. It's also not some deep seated conspiracy or anything. We have an all-volunteer military and it just so happens that the demographics that watch competitive professional sports include the demographics of people that need to join the military and the parents of the people we need to join the military.

The fact that this comes up as often as it does seems like a disingenuous effort to develop a political commentary or a complete misunderstanding of marketing.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Hopefully they at least get paid for it like the NFL

But if the NFL gives back to the military, then what’s the problem? And I bet that the NFL is giving back 100x’s what the military pays them.

Sounds beneficial to both parties to continue with that business.

I’m still wondering in what terms the OP is talking about?

Reactions: MikeyMike01
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->