Why is the Lady Byng trophy only for forwards?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Because you really dont want your dman to be a "Lady Byng"

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Defensemen in general have to play a more physical style. That can be confused with playing dirty sometimes.

Either way, the award is a joke anyway. Essentially, its a "who's the softest player" award.

This is a misconception. Just because a player doesn't rough others up, doesn't mean that he is soft.

space321

May 11, 2011
Because you really dont want your dman to be a "Lady Byng"

Oh yah, gotta have that truculence, grit, heart and soul player. Block shots all day and throw those monstrous hits y'know?

Nah, I'll keep Brodin thank you very much. I'd rather have a Dman who's able to skate the puck out of his end and uses his stick for takeaways rather than a guy who blocks shots because he can't control the puck or get it out of his zone with a pass.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'd take it one step further and argue its harder for defensemen to avoid penalties.

Most top pairing defensemen eat more minutes than top forwards. They also have jobs of clearing the crease, rubbing forwards off the puck, and are the ones defending down low cycles. Any defenseman with 10 PIMs who played a full season is equivalent to a forwards with 2 PIMs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad