Why is Patrick Kane behind Voracek in the 2007 draft?

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
David Bolland All offensive stars when they played with London, but Zero notions of what defence was !! :teach:

What the crap are you talking about? Bolland as a Knight was incredible in his own end. Heck going into the draft he was rated as not a huge sniper but an amazing third line player who could score as well...

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
We're still trying to confirm that Kane had his wisdom teeth removed. Other than a post on this board, we've not heard anything about it. Certainly, that would affect his performance if his diet was compromised. It will be interesting to see how Kane performs against Plymouth. I think they'll be a tough test for the Knights. If Kane can fight through their checking and beat their goalies, he'll impress a lot of people -- including us.

i dont want to be a jerk here but you are supposed to a top scouting service and you are "still trying to confirm that Kane had wisdom teeth removed"??
Google "london knights" you should be able to find their contact information there, at that point if you dial the number and identify yourself as someone who could affect Kane's draft ranking im sure they could have provided you an anwser.
You make it sound as if some kind of research was required.
you also thought "from memory" that Kane was 15 months older than Voracek which would in fact mean that Voracek would be ineligible for the draft....

I could understand if you were discussing a relatively unknown player from Uzbekistan but you are discussing 2 of the top 3 or 4 picks in a draft that is 2 months away, both of whom play in hockey mad Canadian leagues and have been high on the radar for quite some time.

Is the ISS aware you are speaking for them?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
talking more in terms of actual footwork, agility and first step. it is pretty well known that he is lacking in those departments.

as an aside i thought aliu had won the speed trials?

No he's not. People talked about that being an issue back in September but every scout ive talked to and who has been on pre-game Halifax Mooseheads shows have put those issues to rest.

Aliu may have won, not sure, but Voracek was in the top 3 i know that. But that is timed, hockey speed is a different thing and honestly when Voracek gets the puck he seems to go faster and does everything at top speed.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Just an observation...

Kane fans are very defensive...ISS ranks Voracek 1 spot ahead of him and a bunch of Kane supporters come to the rescue.

It's ISS's opinion...and honestly its not like they are coming out of left field.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
talking more in terms of actual footwork, agility and first step. it is pretty well known that he is lacking in those departments.

I did not witness any issues with his skating throughout the season, so I don't think it is a problem, let alone a well known problem. He was probably the third or fourth best skater overall on the Mooseheads behind Bodnarchuk, Peters and Monast. He can also stickhandle/dangle etc all at top speed, which makes him that much more dynamic.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
Just an observation...

Kane fans are very defensive...ISS ranks Voracek 1 spot ahead of him and a bunch of Kane supporters come to the rescue.

It's ISS's opinion...and honestly its not like they are coming out of left field.

everyone here is supporting who they think should be the first pick.

good luck.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He had 7 goals in 12 playoff games, which is only 2 behind the leader. So yeah, he wasn't even close to leading the league.

Well there were over 15 players who scored 7+ goals in the same amount of games or less. It certainly doesn't appear that goalscoring is a strength.

From the way people have been talking about him, two-way player, no blazing speed, works well along the boards, playmaker, etc he sounds more like Henrik Sedin then Marian Hossa.

Randall Graves*

ISS- do you think kanes playoff production can move him back to the top spot in your standings? Word is he just got his wisdom teeth removed because they were impacted pretty badly....he just started solid food in the last 48 hours.
Sometimes I think people put too much weight into jr stats, and the playoffs. By most accounts Gilbert Brule had a great year last year, while many criticized Jordan Staals offensive ability. Here we are a year later and Jordan Staal is unquestionably the better player.

It doesn't hurt to perform in jr's, it's not the end all be all that this board makes it to be sometimes. It's all about transfering skills to the pros. While Kane may be dominating pimply faced kids in the OHL can he dominate NHL games against big strong men? that will be the question.

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
Well there were over 15 players who scored 7+ goals in the same amount of games or less. It certainly doesn't appear that goalscoring is a strength.

From the way people have been talking about him, two-way player, no blazing speed, works well along the boards, playmaker, etc he sounds more like Henrik Sedin then Marian Hossa.

7 goals in 12 games is pretty decent, no matter how many people equaled or bettered it. No one said that Voracek's strength was his goal scoring, in fact everyone seems to be in agreement that he's more of a playmaker, and all around complete player. So, as far as the Henrik Sedin comparison goes, I'll take a 71 assist guy on my team any day.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
Sometimes I think people put too much weight into jr stats, and the playoffs. By most accounts Gilbert Brule had a great year last year, while many criticized Jordan Staals offensive ability. Here we are a year later and Jordan Staal is unquestionably the better player.

It doesn't hurt to perform in jr's, it's not the end all be all that this board makes it to be sometimes. It's all about transfering skills to the pros. While Kane may be dominating pimply faced kids in the OHL can he dominate NHL games against big strong men? that will be the question.

while i agree- on the flipside anyone who is dominating in the nhl now has torn apart their junior/ college teams.

whats impressive is that people were saying kane was too small for the o- and look what he did.

a focused kane can score 200 points next season.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
i dont want to be a jerk here but you are supposed to a top scouting service and you are "still trying to confirm that Kane had wisdom teeth removed"??
Google "london knights" you should be able to find their contact information there, at that point if you dial the number and identify yourself as someone who could affect Kane's draft ranking im sure they could have provided you an anwser.
You make it sound as if some kind of research was required.

Wondercarrot, I'm the editor at ISS. PM me, send me an e-mail, or call me on the phone. It's me who answers.

I had not heard from any source, other than a poster here on Hockey's Future that Kane had his wisdom teeth removed. I do not claim to be an omniscient hockey guru nor do I pretend to be that. I have a lot on my plate and not enough time to do it. There will always be information that escapes my attention and I thank slade for bringing it to my attention.

Sure I could have called the Knights myself, but it wasn't me who said it would affect his spot in our rankings. A poster asked if it would affect it. Our scouts decide what the rankings are and they've been made aware of the information, if they didn't already have it. Whether it will have any affect on their decision making, is something that only they know.

you also thought "from memory" that Kane was 15 months older than Voracek which would in fact mean that Voracek would be ineligible for the draft....

I could understand if you were discussing a relatively unknown player from Uzbekistan but you are discussing 2 of the top 3 or 4 picks in a draft that is 2 months away, both of whom play in hockey mad Canadian leagues and have been high on the radar for quite some time.

We all make mistakes and I made one. I admitted it and I corrected it. I normally double-check all birthdates before I post them, but I didn't in that case and should have.

Is the ISS aware you are speaking for them?

Yes, they are. I speak with the Director of Scouting on a daily basis. He is aware I'm posting here and actually, it's a small part of my job.

I sincerely hope that this addresses any concerns you have. We take our credibility very seriously at ISS and I strive to be as forthright and polite with posters on the boards when they have concerns or disagreements with something we post. I think it's important to be that way on the board, for the sake of moving things forward, and for the others who have to read it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->