Why is Ovechkin not shooting more?

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
Ovechkin is the most prolific shooter ever. He has had the most shots in the league ten times (the previous record was four). He has 45% more shots than any other player since he entered the league.

This year he only has the third most shots. That might not seem like a big step down, but being the top shooter is his most defining feature.

For the people that watch him play daily, is he playing differently from previous years?

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ovechkin is the most prolific shooter ever. He has had the most shots in the league ten times (the previous record was four). He has 45% more shots than any other player since he entered the league.

This year he only has the third most shots. That might not seem like a big step down, but being the top shooter is his most defining feature.

For the people that watch him play daily, is he playing differently from previous years?

He's not moving his feet IMO. Hard to be 1st in shots and scoring chances if you don't make the effort to get there.

Also, he's getting less ice time this year. I think he wants to coast through the regular season and perhaps turn it on later.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He's not moving his feet IMO. Hard to be 1st in shots and scoring chances if you don't make the effort to get there.

Also, he's getting less ice time this year. I think he wants to coast through the regular season and perhaps turn it on later.

Ehh he could probably keep his shots up if they still run the pass it to ovechkin powerplay. Probably has more to do with having a player that doesn't pass on his wing this year.

Hasn't really scored much on rushes the last couple years.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Which player is that?

I assumed oshie was on the top line. If it's Williams replace with doesn't have a very good winger .

If anything I would assume Washington isn't doing the 2 minutes of pass ovechkin the puck powerplay anymore if his shots are down alot. Not footspeed

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I assumed oshie was on the top line. If it's Williams replace with doesn't have a very good winger .

If anything I would assume Washington isn't doing the 2 minutes of pass ovechkin the puck powerplay anymore if his shots are down alot. Not footspeed

Ovechkin's on the second line with Kuznetsov and Williams. Kuznetsov is an excellent passer, Williams is decent. Overall, that line and the Caps as a team have been cold offensively since the beginning of the season. On the PP, Ovechkin plays 1:00 to 1:30 per PP. The PP doesn't try to force the puck to Ovechkin as much as it did the previous years. Even then, Ovechkin hasn't been his usual self on the PP, but I find his ES numbers are suffering because he doesn't make the effort to create scoring chances in the offensive zone.

He doesn't lack the speed, but he just doesn't use that speed to his advantage anymore.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
We all start out with a certain amount of shots we can take in life. He's running out and is conserving.

mostunderratedposter*

Dec 21, 2016
meh i don't blame him. I would save my energy for the playoffs too. But i want him to beat Gretzkys goal record so get going Ovi!!!

Evergreen

That endless jargon of SOG-cultists is becoming increasingly irritating...

You can have zillion SOGs and it doesn't mean a **** alone.

Wow, relax. I don't see anyone here saying otherwise. But when a guy who normally shoots a ton is now taking far fewer shots, it certainly raises some questions.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Insert a joke about him being a Russian national working in the nation's capital.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Wow, relax. I don't see anyone here saying otherwise. But when a guy who normally shoots a ton is now taking far fewer shots, it certainly raises some questions.

I apologize. I Have had my share in those struggles already.

While I have no doubts Ovi will continue to contribute high level for years to come, it's still only natural if - when he start show symptoms of decline. What he has managed to do already is something ridiculously awesome ("Ovi" actually transformed to be sort of general linguistic term for describing great hockey goal scorers), but as it has been also makes it easy to get blinded with expectations about him. Nothing last forever.

That said. He will still have his fair share from goals... and SOGs.

ADD: Ovi projects to 38 Goals and SOG 320, that neither constitute "Decline" against his hockey curriculum vitae.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Remember when he had a few off years and he was done? I bet he picks it up again if not soon then next season.

Ovi's "off years" seems to me pretty solid for goal scorer.

The overwhelming majority of that fellowship would happily take few of those as their top years. :laugh:

Ovi's Top 3 Off-years 38G/78GP, 32G/79GP, 32G/48GP (Lockout)...
Next worst: 46G/82GP

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany