Why is our PK so bad?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It's bad because we were without Dave Bolland for 45 games and Tyler Bozak for 24 games.

Notice that now Bozak's back, it's getting better? If Bolland comes back after the Olympics, look for our PK to become pretty good again.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I wish I could find the stat somewhere, but my bet is that we are allowing way more shots on the PK this season.

It also doesn't help that McClement is a) taking way too many penalties himself compared to last year, and b) was for a time getting burned out with 15+ minutes of ES TOI.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_team..._s&c=0+1+2+3+4+43+44+45+46+47+48+49+50+51+52#

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_team...2_s&c=0+1+2+3+4+43+44+45+46+47+48+49+50+51+52

From 5th lowest to highest :facepalm:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It's bad because we were without Dave Bolland for 45 games and Tyler Bozak for 24 games.

Notice that now Bozak's back, it's getting better? If Bolland comes back after the Olympics, look for our PK to become pretty good again.

when we were rolling mcclement, kulimen and bolland and bozak. (i think there were the pairings?) it was really good. or maybe that was just my nhl 14 club, as it's been so long since bollands been in the lineup and i may be making things up . :laugh:

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
we had a bad stretch of games, with injures that brought us down.
but if you look at the last 15 games ,we r at the top, and the next 22 games will bring us back to the top. thats in the last 35 games,, thats what counts, what we are doing at the end of the season

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Clearly, this is somehow Daniel Alf**dss*n's fault.

No but actually, injuries have hurt us, McClement isn't playing at the same PK level he was, and something is just...off. Last year I had a lot of confidence with our PK. They kept the opponent's at bay. This year, they seem more timid and allow way too many shots, meaning our PK lives and dies with Bernier (it does anyway, but he doesn't seem to get a whole lot of help). That said, things have been improving greatly as of late.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
it's getting better recently.

we had that brutal month which brought the % down, but you take that away, it's been good.

Somewhat.

Overall it's 78.0% (150/200)

Before the Winter Classic, it was 77.5% (110/142)

Since the Winter Classic, it's 79.3% (46/58)

In the 11-2-1 streak, it's 80.0% (32/40)

In the last 6 games, it's 93.3% (14/15)

So unless you only take the last 6 games into consideration (which is a rather small sample size), the improvement in PK% has only been marginal.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Two words.. Leo komarov. Was huge for us last year on the pk

I don't think losing Leo Komarov is the biggest problem with our PK.

2012-13 JVR: 1.05 powerplay goals against per 60 mins shorthanded
2013-14 JVR: 2.79
2012-13 McClement: 3.75
2012-13 Bozak: 3.95
2012-13 Komarov: 5.53
2013-14 Kulemin: 6.19
2012-13 Kulemin: 6.29
2013-14 Bozak: 6.92
2013-14 McClement: 8.53 <-- WHAT

Statistically JVR has been our best PKer over the last two years, so this has mitigated the loss of Leo.

I still think the problem is way too many shots. Even 3-4 more shots against per game on the PK can be a major difference over the span of a year. Typically, shots against on the PK are of a higher quality for the opponent.

leaffansince1961

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
There are a few reason that everyone has said:
Leo Komarov
Injuries to McClement, Bozak, Bolland

A couple more might be:
1) We don't see to be as physical as we were last year
2) The style has changed, forwards seem to be collapsing down lower which gives their D a little more time to make plays
3) We done seem to be challenging the puck carrier as much this year either. Because we're less aggresive, we're giving the other teams a little more time and space with the puck.

In general our defense seems to be backing up too quickly and giving them a little more space. It's a little easier for them to gain the blueline this year....again, due to being less physical and not challenging enough. I'd like to see them put a little more pressure on the opposition and force them to make a play. Especially at the blueline. I wonder if there's a stat showing how many Forced Offsides there were last year compare to this year.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Injuries to the Centres.

Bozak being out made McClement jump around, even sitting on the 1st line for a stretch. That meant McClement was overworked on even-strength ice time, so on the PK he wasn't able to play effectively.

Bolland is also a key part of the PK unit, and has been out most of the season.

Add to that that Bozak wasn't there either, and even once back in the lineup, his faceoff % has dropped way down since the injury obviously is still affecting his timing.

Those would be three major components that I think account for a good chunk of the increase in PK GA.

Other factors: Gunnarsson and Fraser having terrible seasons. Those guys were defensive cogs, although things have improved greatly since the addition of Gleason, in that respect.

Beyond all that, I'm not sure. Perhaps the lack of success has also had an impact mentally, further weakening the PK.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Not enough good Canadian kids willing to get in front of shots, and not covering the points properly because you have to cover the points because if you cover the points the other team can't score from anywhere else on the ice because hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad